PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Observation (not a rant)

Brad Wood
09-02-2009, 7:23 PM
I've been in the habit of perusing the tools section of my local Craigslist for some time now. When I am looking for something specific to add to my collection, I usually use the search/filter features so I can get a smaller list of items to look at.

When I'm not in the market for something specific, I usually just browse the first page or two maybe once a day, if that often.

A few months ago (maybe a little more) I noticed, gee it seems like all the contractors in the area are selling all their tools. You would see guys that just list the whole back of their truck for sale. Sort of sad really, it sure is/was a reflection of the times. Great if you are in the market, but the reason why it is what it is... it's a bummer.

Anyway, recently I've noticed a real big change is the type of stuff getting listed. Now it seems big shops and large construction companies are going out of business. I'm seeing the wildest stuff listed now, it just blows me away... all really big serious industrial stuff.

Its almost like the little independents were hit by the economy first, but now the bigger boys that had a little more liquidity to ride out the storm are starting to cave. This is really sad too. Again, great if you are looking for a $30k industrial air compressor, or other gigantic machines of this caliber.. but still.

Another thing I've noticed is the number of items being posted. It used to be maybe a page per day of new items getting listed, now it is more like three or four per day.

Are you guys (and gals) noticing trends like this in your areas as well?

Frank Guerin
09-02-2009, 8:03 PM
I never find squat. The largest city close to me is Corpus Christi Texas. A few hundred thousand people (without looking it up) and a toilet plunger is a big deal. As far a tools go a dremel seems to be top of the line. I don't know why it is. Perhaps to far mid south for wood woodworkers and no lumber without a great deal of shipping but it's slim picking where I am.

Matt Meiser
09-02-2009, 8:35 PM
While I'm sure there's some truth to what you observe, I don't think you can just go on postings on Craigslist. Its a newer method of advertising as well and there are more and more ads from companies in general. Places that aren't going to sell a ratted out circular saw for $10.

If anyone's looking there's an ASRS (automated storage and retrieval) system just listed on Toledo Craigslist for only $690K.

Steve Clardy
09-02-2009, 9:31 PM
If anyone's looking there's an ASRS (automated storage and retrieval) system just listed on Toledo Craigslist for only $690K.

Yea. Thanks for mentioning that Matt.

I need 2 of those. :D:D:D

Steve Rozmiarek
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I seem to be noticing a decline in my ebay list sizes, I wonder if Craigslist is taking some of it's customers.

I wonder if that automated storage thing would help organize my garage...

Karl Brogger
09-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Are you guys (and gals) noticing trends like this in your areas as well?

Yep, for about the last two years. I've bought quite a bit of equipment the past few years from finding things on Craigslist, and a local online auction site. Good for me in all sorts of ways, local shops are going under eliminating some of my competition, and I get to buy their equipment cheap. Horrible thing to say, but its the way it is.

Dave Lehnert
09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I seem to be noticing a decline in my ebay list sizes, I wonder if Craigslist is taking some of it's customers.

I wonder if that automated storage thing would help organize my garage...

My understanding e-bay now owns Craigslist at least in part or were trying.
How long will it be free?

Last fall Senco had a factory sale. They were just about giving away the Duraspin guns. Giving the chargers away free and batteries for little $$$.
They are on CL here in Cincinnati ALL THE TIME. Think there are two right now just today.