PDA

View Full Version : Stolen lathes

Guy Belleman
09-02-2009, 5:31 PM
Saw this posted on another woodworking site and thought I would share. Maybe someone here can help catch these folks.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/images/icons/icon1.gif Stolen JET 1220 Lathes
A week ago, our club trailer and all our club lathes were stolen. If anyone hears of someone trying to sell JET 1220 lathes (6-speed) please let me know at ckemp001@columbus.rr.com. The lathes were stolen in Columbus, OH and all of them have been modified by removing the factory light and having a bracket installed to hold a Moffett snap-on light. These lathes were used at club meetings and for our version of the Young Turners Program. http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Thanks in advance for keep you eye out for our equipment.

Chuck Kemp, President
Central Ohio Woodturners (COW)

Chris Tsutsui
09-02-2009, 6:01 PM
I really have no mercy when it comes to thieves. They really do make the world a worse place to live in and are selfish bastards.

In college I had my new Yamaha R6 sportbike stolen on campus. I had to make payments on it throughout college on a bike I only had a month. Insurance was temporarily liability only until I've had my M1 license for a certain period so it was a total loss of $9,300.

Anyways, OH CLer's should definitely keep an eye out. Though BE SAFE ABOUT IT.

If you report it to authorities, they most likely will not do anything about it unless you give them reason to believe they carry illegal fire-arms or something along those lines. So if you find out that they are selling anything illegal then this will help the authorities bring them to justice.

Thieves very often sell things that arn't legal because they often don't do business by the rules...

Stephen Edwards
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I really have no mercy when it comes to thieves. They really do make the world a worse place to live in and are selfish bastards.

Anyways, OH CLer's should definitely keep an eye out. Though BE SAFE ABOUT IT.

Thieves very often sell things that arn't legal because they often don't do business by the rules...

Agreed, 100%. It's probably a good idea to keep an eye out in surrounding states, too. According to a friend of mine who had some things stolen, the cops told her that often these "thieving rings" will steal the merchandise from one state and move it out of that state immediately.

So, this guy's lathes could very well show up on CL or ebay in surrounding states pretty soon. The described modifications might be helpful if an honest woodworker (99.9% of us) actually sees the tools. It would also help if the guy has the serial numbers for the lathes.

I hope the guy gets his tools back. He'll be lucky/blessed if he does.

Greg Ketell
09-02-2009, 11:52 PM
crazedlist.org may be able to help you keep an eye out for it. Lets you read several craigslist regions at the same time. You use that plus an RSS reader and you will be notified within 15 minutes of a new post for lathes.

Chuck Wintle
09-03-2009, 2:57 PM
If he had the lathe serial numbers and a photo would that help? At least then if one should come up for sale then someone could check the number.