PDA

View Full Version : Look whose gloating now

Bill Bulloch
09-02-2009, 5:29 PM
Friend called me and said his sister had a Walnut tree she wanted cut down; ask if I was interested in it? "Sissy question." Well, we drove 130 miles to Cleveland GA to get it. Problem was this thing was huge, and only two feet from the house. The trunk was slightly bent toward the house and the heaviest limbs hung over the house. More tree than I was willing to tackle. Still, I wanted that tree. I called around Cleveland and found a guy who does tree service -- only lived a few miles from where we were, and was not doing anything at the moment. He was there in 25 minutes; quoted me a price of $175.00 to just bring it down, and the tree was down in 15 minutes. We cut it up and cleaned up the mess. It all would not fit in my trailer, so I ended up making two trips to Cleveland. I am going to share some of this with my turning club.

Steve Schlumpf
09-02-2009, 6:15 PM
Bill - that is one heck of a gloat! Congrats on all that beautiful Walnut! Man - you're gonna have to get a bigger lathe!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this!

alex carey
09-02-2009, 7:04 PM
nice gloat, love that walnut, can't go wrong.

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2009, 7:51 PM
Boy Bill that is quite a haul. You are going to love turning all that walnut. Congrats on a great haul.

Gary Conklin
09-02-2009, 9:20 PM
I see PURPLE hands in yer future, nice score!

Nathan Hawkes
09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I see PURPLE hands in yer future, nice score!

:D:D:DI was thinking the same thing! HAHAHAHA.

Nice score!!!!! Definitely worth the trip!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Bill,

I was gonna ask what turning club you are a member of but then I realized that my 1 ton 4WD Ford get 11 mpg and it's a long ways to GA from ID.....So I rejected that idea!

Nice haul! Count me just a little jealous!

Chris Rae
09-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Great score!! That is some NICE wood!

Dan Forman
09-03-2009, 3:11 AM
Quite the score! Have fun with it.

Dan

Norm Zax
09-03-2009, 3:23 AM
Bill, you lucky devil. Congrats. How did the arborist get around the tree's tendency towards the house? Interesting to hear.
Norm

Jeff Nicol
09-03-2009, 6:21 AM
For a tree of that caliber with all the character I am sure it will have in it the price paid to get it to the ground was well worth it! You and your club will be happy for a long time to come! Congrats and have a ball turning some beautiful wood!

Jeff

Bill Bulloch
09-03-2009, 9:33 AM
Bill, you lucky devil. Congrats. How did the arborist get around the tree's tendency towards the house? Interesting to hear.
Norm

He had a Cherry picker type truck that took him up to the highest limb on the outside of the tree. He looped his rope over that limb threaded it through the tree to a lower limb hanging over the house. He tied one end to the end of that limb and the other end to his truck, pulled it taunt. Then cut in in the normal fashion -- it fell right where he wanted it.

Oh, by-the-way, we were using a tractor with a 5 foot bucket to haul the the limbs to the burn pile. We racked up 7 bucket loads of Walnuts that were on the tree; they weren't mature, so they too went to the burn pile. Guess, we should have waited a few months for them to ripen. But, I wanted that tree, and the owner wasn't interested in waiting either. She has five or six other Walnut Trees on the property and the nuts are a nuisance to her.