PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Equipment

Jimmy Powell
09-02-2009, 5:29 PM
What wax do you experienced wood workers use on your jointer table, band saw tables, and also do you wax you infeed and outfeed sides of your planer?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tom Peters
09-02-2009, 7:14 PM
I use Johnsons hard paste wax. I have a can I started on some years back. I wax all my tools tables, guide rails, rip fences, anything where wood will be moving along. And yes, infeed and outfeed tables on the jointer as well as the fence. I also wax the table of my thickness planer. Depending on how much I am using the tool, I may do this a couple times a week to keep everything sliding smoothly.

Brad Wood
09-02-2009, 7:26 PM
I use Johnsons hard paste wax. I have a can I started on some years back. I wax all my tools tables, guide rails, rip fences, anything where wood will be moving along. And yes, infeed and outfeed tables on the jointer as well as the fence. I also wax the table of my thickness planer. Depending on how much I am using the tool, I may do this a couple times a week to keep everything sliding smoothly.

+1

I don't do it as often though.

Peter Quinn
09-02-2009, 7:39 PM
I use johnson's bowling alley paste wax on all iron machine tables. Thickness planner, jointer, TS, BS, etc. I'll even put a coat on the aluminum router plate and several melamine tables as needed to keep things moving smoothly. I apply on an as needed, or just after needed basis in most cases, though sometimes I will add a coat as a preemptive strike when getting ready to process a significant amount of stock for a job.

At work we use boeshield spray, and while it does a fine job at lubricating surfaces and goes on quick, it is pricey, so on my dime its out. Seems to me like one ten dollar can of spray per month versus one $5 can of wax per year or two is a no brainer.

Jimmy Powell
09-03-2009, 7:28 AM
Thanks all for your input

Matt Stiegler
09-03-2009, 7:54 AM
some but not all borgs carry it.

Mike Cruz
09-03-2009, 8:06 AM
Dittos on what everyone has said. Yes my HD carries it. I went to 3 specialty stores looking for it. They were all out of it. THEN I tried HD...duh.

Lee Schierer
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Dittos on what everyone has said. Yes my HD carries it. I went to 3 specialty stores looking for it. They were all out of it. THEN I tried HD...duh.

Some Walmarts and grocery stores carry it as well.....

Jason Beam
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Some Walmarts and grocery stores carry it as well.....

*nod*

I've found it in both the Floor Care section and/or the paint & finishing sections of different stores. Some in one, some in the other.

Jim King
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to use paste wax when I lived where it was available but for the last 20 years I have used liqued floor wax and it works well. I usually wax every couple of hours.

There is no such thing as an excess of wax. Boards plane easier, motor works less and a better job.

I also wax all painted surfaces on the machines once a month to prevent rust.