PDA

View Full Version : Colt MaxiCut Forstner bits???

John Terefenko
09-02-2009, 9:28 AM
Has anyone purchased the new Colt Maxicut forstner bits??? If so what is your opinion??? Are they worth the money and meet all the hype??? Are they better than carbide bits??? I am looking to get a set of forstner bits and am tired of using ones that just dull out so fast. I have using the Titanium coated ones. I can never resharpen them as well as they were when new.

If you did purchase the Colts, where did you get them from for the best price??? Thanks for the replys and have a great day.

Mike Henderson
09-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I haven't tried the Colt but I have the Freud bits and have been satisfied with them. I also have some Famag forstners and they're good also. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about the colts, however.

Mike

Matt Winterowd
09-02-2009, 2:05 PM
I'm also not sure about the Colt forstners, but I can tell you that there's a world of difference between bit brands even just in HSS. I have a big set of Porter Cables, which tested pretty well for the price by FWW a while back. They're terrible. They cut slowly, burn every cut, and don't clear well. I sprung for a small set of Famag's (which Woodcraft sells as "Quality" Forstner Bits), and what a difference it makes. They cut smooth and cool, clear well, and are just generally a joy to work with. I do have some Colt brad point bits and they seem to be every bit as high quality as the Famag. I'd say go with one of those two brands based on price.

John Stan
09-02-2009, 3:42 PM
I have tried several, I bought them from The Best Things. I like them alot and to me they are a significant step up from the PC bit I bought at the BORG. That stand, they are also about 3 times the price.

-John