PDA

View Full Version : A Little Humor

Byron Trantham
09-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Some of you guys remember a couple days ago I got my thumb in way of a saw blade. One of our friends gave me the following birthday card.

Michael Stafford
09-12-2004, 12:53 PM
First of all let me say I'm glad you were not injured any more seriously than you were.

Over 20 years ago I had two woodworking buddies when I lived in the Chesapeake area of Virginia. One of them, Richard was by far the most ambitious and hard working of the three of us. We all worked at the same place. Richard had taken the day off to work on some cabinets at his home. In the process of ripping some oak he reached across the table to stabilize the other side and accidentally dropped his thumb into the saw blade. This time the saw was not satisfied with just a nick and grabbed his thumb and rolled his hand into the blade taking thumb, forefinger, middle finger and part of his ring finger before satisfying its hunger. Richard wrapped a towel around his hand and drove himself to the emergency room.

While waiting for treatment he first tried to reach me by phone. I was in a meeting or something so he called our other friend who he was able to reach. "Dave," he says, " I had a little accident on my tablesaw and cut off three fingers. I'm at the hospital and I was wondering if you could do me a favor."

Dave said," Do you want me to go see if I can find your fingers and bring them to the hospital?"

Richard responded by saying, "Nah, I'm pretty sure they're all chewed up. I was hoping that maybe you or Mike could go over to the shop and see if you could get some of the blood off of that wood before it ruined it".

Honest to God a true story (names changed to protect the innocent). Since then I have always used every possible means of holding wood without using my hands and have countless number and types of pushsticks in my shop. I may go to an excess but I realize that in a millionth of a second your world can change. I hope all of the Saw Mill Creek family is protecting their hands, eyes and ears and children from shop hazards.

Bart Leetch
09-12-2004, 4:10 PM
I was just using my Griper & thinking how great it is. It makes me feel much safer. Buying 2 of them was one of the best investments I've ever made in safety equipment. :D :D :D