PDA

View Full Version : Handle with compression ring ferrule

Mark Burge
09-02-2009, 8:44 AM
A while back Walt asked about ferrules and I replied that I had used a compression ring before. Here is a picture of the handle and ferrule. The compression ring is about 1" in outside diameter and 3/4" inside. The wood is sycamore, unfinished.

Walt Caza
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this for me.
We all know the Creek is largely a friendly and helpful forum.

Jeepers, and I am not slighting anyone, but I have found the
Creek turners forum to be the warmest and most helpful branch!
Seems to me... the water and the folks in here just shine a lil brighter?

Just my opinion, but the lathe group retains that family feel I suspect
was lost when our numbers grew in the General forum.
Threads and posts fly by sooo fast, and faces and names come and go so quickly over there.
I often cannot keep up with the General flow.

Our turner's seem to remember that it's all about creating beautiful craft,
growing together and sharing the bigtime fun!
Total bonus and pleasant surprise to this fresh turner...
pleased to be a part of it,
spin safe,
Walt

ps Glad I stumbled into the vortex, to find such fine folks!

Mark Burge
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Your welcome

Eric Meier
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM
A while back Walt asked about ferrules and I replied that I had used a compression ring before. Here is a picture of the handle and ferrule. The compression ring is about 1" in outside diameter and 3/4" inside. The wood is sycamore, unfinished.
Where do you get those rings?

I've seen ferrules for sale at leevalley.com, but I've been searching for a cheap and easy source locally. Right now, I've been using aluminum tubing, cutting it off at approximately 1" lengths.

Bob Espy
09-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I've been using brass flare tubing fittings, mostly for 5/8" tubing. Fit it on the end of your handle then round it with a flat file while the handle is turning around 500RPM, then shine it up with sandpaper.

David Walser
09-02-2009, 1:02 PM
Where do you get those rings? ...

You get them in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Attached is a picture of what you're looking for. The ring, by itself, makes a good ferrule. The nut can also be used as a ferrule. As mentioned elsewhere, the nut's flats can be turned (or filed) off.

Richard Madison
09-02-2009, 1:22 PM
Eric,
Have also used aluminum tubing, 6061-T6, bought years ago to make shafts for canoe paddles. Seems to work ok.

Scott Conners
09-02-2009, 1:43 PM
I use brass compression nuts. They let you have a really nice rounded front edge to the ferrule, it looks much nicer than a plain pipe coupler ferrule. Brass turns easy with normal tools, just work carefully and slowly.

Mark Burge
09-02-2009, 5:22 PM
David is right. I got mine from Ace, I think. I used the brass ones because I like the look and if you really want to you can sand it up really nice.

curtis rosche
09-02-2009, 6:36 PM
what is that tool?

Mark Burge
09-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Curtis, It's a curved V-gouge. I got it off ebay in a lot of tools. It didn't have a handle and didn't look like it had ever been sharpened. I did the best I could, but I don't have a lot of experience with carving tools. It has been less than satisfactory. Perhaps I should post on the carving side and learn a few things :-)