PDA

View Full Version : Norton vs. Japanese Super Stone ?

Paul Saffold
09-02-2009, 8:09 AM
I want to improve the level of my sharpening. Currently I stop at a 4000 grit Norton water stone. I was going to buy a Norton 8000 stone but learned of the "Japanese Super Stone" that Tools-For-Working-Wood carries.

I'd like to hear comments from those that have used both. I know what to expect from the Norton as I've been using their 1000/4000 stone. How does the Super Stone compare?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Mark Roderick
09-02-2009, 9:28 AM
I've used the Norton 8,000 for many years. It gives a superb finish. I follow up by stropping on a piece of MDF charged with green stropping compound and get a great edge.

I know you asked about the Japanese stone, but since you're ultimately comparing two things I thought it would be useful to tell you about the Norton.

Mike Henderson
09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I haven't used that Japanese super stone but my guess is that the differences in high quality stones is fairly minor. I use Shapton but I doubt if I could tell the difference in the edge if I used any other quality stone.

Mike

Howard Pollack
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Personally, I find the Norton stone to be a bit softer than I like- I've not tried the Super-stone. Why don't you ask Joel from TWW- he sells them both and has always been helpful. -Howard

Joel Moskowitz
09-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Both stones work very well. They have different feels. The Norton needs a little soaking the superstones do not. I use the Superstones in the office here because they don't need soaking and I like the feel of the stone a lot.

Mark Roderick
09-02-2009, 2:38 PM
Most of the Nortons require some soaking; the 8,000 does not. Just spray with water and get to it.

Harlan Barnhart
09-02-2009, 6:56 PM
I'd like to hear comments from those that have used both. I know what to expect from the Norton as I've been using their 1000/4000 stone. How does the Super Stone compare?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

I have owned and used both. There is not a lot of difference in the 4000 and 8000 range. The superstones feel more "silky". There is more difference in the 1000 range. The superstone seems softer but cuts more quickly and seems to polish better than the Norton 1000.

Paul Saffold
09-02-2009, 7:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I think I'll try the super stone.

Paul