PDA

View Full Version : 103.23900 Jointer - Guard not springing?

Scott Hildenbrand
09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Can anyone give me a good idea on how the guard spring is supposed to be on this thing? During the transport down something went in it and the guard is no longer spring loaded. Since I'm getting it ready to restore I'd looooove to have a guard so I can keep my finger tips.. ;)

I've got the table cleaned up and it's ready for painting. Pulling the head and whatnot before that so it can be cleaned for rust and serviced.

All in all the thing works great now RE: table movement, motor's cleaned up and the head is coming along.. Been fun cleaning it up. Still debating on what to paint it, though, if I should go charcoal or what.

Anyway, back on track with my Q.. If anyone can give me a heads up on the guard spring, or point me to an exploded diagram that would be great.

Thanks!

Matt Evans
09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I don,t know what sort of mechanism yours has, but at the old shop I used a Jointer that that happened to relatively frequently. All you had to do to reset it was to wind it backwards once or twice to get it to catch and reset.

Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

Don Jarvie
09-02-2009, 9:13 AM
Go to OWWM.com and get the manual.

Most guards have a spring in the housing. You would turn the housing (usually counterclockwise, like winding it up) and put the guard in it.

The spring in the housing would push the guard against the fence and keep it there. So if you pull the guard away from the fence it should spring back.

Hope this helps

Scott Hildenbrand
09-02-2009, 9:51 AM
Everyone always says to goto OWWM and get the manual thinking it's an endless resource with every manual ever created since the dawn of time.. :)

Ain't there.

That said, I think I found a comparable one. Not exact, but close enough, I suppose.

I've got a few ideas in mind as far as fixing it goes, without being able to source a part. Think the spring broke is the issue.

Roy Bennett
09-02-2009, 10:13 AM
If you have the common 'pork chop' shaped guard, its easy to reset the spring tension. Pull the guard with its post up and out of the infeed table.
Note that the bottom end of the post is slotted. That slot slips over the rotary spring, which you can see looking down into the mounting hole.

Grab the knob from the lower side of the table and turn it. You will feel the spring wind up and give some counter-rotational torque. Give the knob about 1 1/2 turns clockwise ( viewed from the top), hold it, and insert the guard post, wriggling it until the slot goes over the spring.

That's it!!!

Scott Hildenbrand
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Is the pork chop guard, but the spring mech you're quoting post dates this one. There is no slot in the post that supports the guard. The tension seems to be on the insert which the hex shaped post slips into. The spring is a wire spring, not flat, but seems to be of clock spring shape.

I'm pretty sure it looks like the one in the lower right, under the golden one in this picture.

http://www.jamesspring.com/images/big_torsprings.jpg

Roy Bennett
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Scott, that still looks like a rotary spring. You must get some pre-tension into the spring before affixing it to the guard shaft.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Anyone have a source for a spring like that? This one's shot.