PDA

View Full Version : Protecting my TS top

Jim Rimmer
09-01-2009, 6:46 PM
I just got a new saw (see previous posts) and I want to protect the top. I live south of Houston on the Gulf coast where it is humid and hot so I am facing two problems:

1. The humidity tends to make everything rust
2. It is so hot that I drop beads of sweat on the saw table. Even when I wipe them off quickly it leaves a rust spot.

Question: I got some barkeepers friend to clean the spots off. I have seen threads here suggesting wax on the top. I have a can of "Paste Finishing Wax" by Minwax. The can says it contains mineral spirits and will leave a hard, dry, OILLESS finish. Would this be OK to use on my saw table or will it cause problems with the wood later when I get to the finishing stage.

My other solution is to go to WC and get some of the $$$ Renaissance wax. If that's what I need to do, I will, since I want to keep my new saw in good condition.

John Harden
09-01-2009, 7:04 PM
IMHO Boeshield T-9 is the best protectant out there. I haven't searched but I'm sure there are numerous threads on it. I use it on all my metal tools. It works particularly well to prevent rust on ferrous surfaces and corrosion on aluminum, which it was originally designed for.

Wood Magazine did a good test a few years back on rust inhibitors and Boeshield blew everything else away by a factor of 10 or some other ridiculous number.

I must have 4 cans of the stuff scattered around the shop. I've also never had a problem during finishing as I usually plane, scrape and/or sand enough that any waxy residue is long gone.

Just my .02

Regards,

John

Dave Lehnert
09-01-2009, 7:32 PM
I use Minwax for years. Never a problem. Never needed anything more.
I know Boeshield gets good reviews but expensive compared to the Minwax.
A can will last you a lifetime.

Russ Hauser
09-01-2009, 7:40 PM
For what it's worth, I live in humid central florida, and here's what I do to preserve the C. I. tops in my shop. I periotically apply a good paste furniture wax and always cover the table tops with old Turkish towels. I don't know why the towel trick works, but it does. I found that trick somewhere on the Internet.

Russ

William Power
09-01-2009, 9:08 PM
IMHO Boeshield T-9 is the best protectant out there. I haven't searched but I'm sure there are numerous threads on it. I use it on all my metal tools. It works particularly well to prevent rust on ferrous surfaces and corrosion on aluminum, which it was originally designed for.

Wood Magazine did a good test a few years back on rust inhibitors and Boeshield blew everything else away by a factor of 10 or some other ridiculous number.

I must have 4 cans of the stuff scattered around the shop. I've also never had a problem during finishing as I usually plane, scrape and/or sand enough that any waxy residue is long gone.

Just my .02

Regards,

John

Lee Valley Tools has a good description of the product on their website under lubricants.

Dan Ewalt
09-01-2009, 9:14 PM
I use plain old Johnson's Paste Wax. Learned that it will protect just about anything while in the Army.

I've used it as far south as Tampa FL and using it now in NC without issue and it's cheap and easy to find. Lowes has it.

Von Bickley
09-01-2009, 9:42 PM
I use plain old Johnson's Paste Wax. Learned that it will protect just about anything while in the Army.

I've used it as far south as Tampa FL and using it now in NC without issue and it's cheap and easy to find. Lowes has it.

That's what I use......... :)

glenn bradley
09-01-2009, 9:46 PM
+1 Johnson's Paste Wax. Been using it for years. Inexpensive, easy to apply and renew. No problems.

Jim O'Dell
09-01-2009, 9:51 PM
Well, I guess I get to say +1 +1. I use the Boeshield products, both the rust remover and the protector. I then apply Johnson's paste wax on top of that. About once a year, I have to redo things because I left a piece of wood on the table, or a real humid spell causes rust on several surfaces. Probably I've not kept the wax up on a regular schedule. Jim.

ROY DICK
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Jim,
I use Johnson paste wax on the bed ways, table saws, drill press bed, etc.
Here in the Dallas area it doesnt get as humid as it does down south though. But I would give it a try.

Roy

Jim Rimmer
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll put some of the Minwax, look for the Johnson's, and try to remember to do it on a regular basis.