PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Swiss Army Knives

R. A. Mitchell
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a boy scout troupe and would like to personalize a set of knives for their camping trip. I see a variety of on-line vendors who engrave knives they sell for free, and they paint fill them.

I tested a couple of knives myself. The handles are plastic. I confirmed with Victorinox that they are safe to laser. However, they seem to cut more like delrin than acrylic. They also don't take acrylic paint or gilders paste well - at least they didn't for me.

Anyone out there know how to do these best? Is the secret to laser them through a mask then spray them with Krylon Fusion or some other paint? I have seen references to "laquer" paint, but that could mean just about anything.

Mike Null
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
My experience with paint hasn't been great. I engraved to a depth of about .020" and used a gold paint. It lasted for a couple of years but gradually wore away. I use my knife regularly so that may be the reason.

You'll have a lot better success with Cermark on the blade.

Gary Hair
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
You may have better success with a rotary engraver. That will get you the depth you need to paint fill that plastic. I did some a couple of years ago and was able to paint fill them, but they were a pain to do. Now I have a CNC router and would use it instead.

Gary

Brian Robison
09-01-2009, 4:10 PM
I think that the handles are Delrin (or some sort of acetel copolymer).
I did a couple blades on mine, also Victorinox, a couple YEARS ago and they still look great.