PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220vs on/off switch replacement ?'s

Aaron Wingert
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Good evening all,

I've finally managed to wear out the on/off switch on my Jet 1220vs mini lathe. I removed it and figured I'd head to the hardware store (or maybe Radio Shack) tomorrow afternoon in search of a replacement. I may call Jet to see if they'll replace it, but I can't deal with the down time without my lathe right now...Too many customers waiting on turkey and duck calls.

Aside from trying to get something that appears to have the same configuration, is there anything specific about that switch that I should be looking for? Like some sort of voltage rating or DC something-a-rather? I did a search on Radio Shack's website and am not sure which one might work, if any. Most are rated 3 amps, etc. Not sure what the amp draw on that machine is for starters.

I don't know what any of this gobbeldygook means but the switch says:

HY29H
E200089
2hp 125-277V
20/15A
18(12)A 250V 5E4

I sure do appreciate any help you all might be able to offer.

Aaron

Steve Frederick
09-01-2009, 7:35 AM
I don't know what any of this gobbeldygook means but the switch says:

HY29H
E200089
2hp 125-277V
20/15A
18(12)A 250V 5E4

I sure do appreciate any help you all might be able to offer.

Aaron
It says that the switch is rated for 20-Amps at 125 volts AC. The new switch should have the same rating.
I have to replace mine also. (won't always turn off) I'll go to my local electrical supply house..

robert hainstock
09-01-2009, 8:10 AM
It should definately be a 20A, 125V switch or larger. You might consider mounting it beneath the tailstock on the plate that wwas thoughtfully supplied by the jet folks. It will be a lot handier there in my HO. :)
Bob

Aaron Wingert
09-01-2009, 9:01 AM
I was wondering about the amperage rating. That lathe isn't drawing anywhere near 20 amps (probably more like 4 or 5)...That doesn't matter?

robert hainstock
09-01-2009, 9:16 AM
I was wondering about the amperage rating. That lathe isn't drawing anywhere near 20 amps (probably more like 4 or 5)...That doesn't matter?

The high amprerage rating is to protect the switch from the high startup current draw. :)
Bob

Rod Sheridan
09-01-2009, 9:32 AM
You need a switch that's rated for motor loads. (HP rated)

The existing switch says 2HP, 20 amperes etc.

Shouldn't be hard to find another.

Regards, Rod.

Aaron Wingert
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! I'll be searching for one this evening!

Gary Conklin
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I had an issue with a bandsaw switch not turning on the other day, it was an easy fix. All I did was take the switch apart and clean the contact points (the switch was full of sawdust) realign the metal tabs and viloa! Worked good as new.:D

Scott Conners
09-01-2009, 1:02 PM
My 1014's switch did the same thing, pulling it apart (carefully, small pieces inside) and dusting it out fixed the problem. It's worth looking at, it was an easy fix and works well.

robert hainstock
09-01-2009, 1:56 PM
A number of us "creekers" had switch problems with this lathe. As an old elctrition, I just replaced it. Mine failed to turn off after four or five cycles. :eek:
Bob

Aaron Wingert
09-01-2009, 2:22 PM
Well, I called Jet and spoke to a tech...They're sending me a new switch today. Didn't even ask for my serial number. Good service!!! :)

In the meantime I have nothing to lose so I might take the bad switch apart to see if it can be cleaned out to help me limp along until the replacement gets here.

Still might go to the hardware store to see if I luck out. I have turkey calls and duck call orders that need to get finished up and even a two day wait will hurt!

John Terefenko
09-01-2009, 4:11 PM
AAron

Do you have a phone number that you used to get through??? I have the 1220 and I am thinking I should get a backup switch for when it goes. It is just a matter of time. Thanks.

Aaron Wingert
09-01-2009, 8:35 PM
AAron

Do you have a phone number that you used to get through??? I have the 1220 and I am thinking I should get a backup switch for when it goes. It is just a matter of time. Thanks.

Wish I'd have done that. I'd be in the garage turning right now.

I went to three stores this afternoon and completely struck out on the switch, so I'm just waiting for the Jet one to arrive I guess.

Here's a link to their contact page. I called tech support. To actually order parts you need to give them the part number from the manual, which is available online. Had to do that a couple months back when I was repairing a jointer.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/About.aspx?nav=OurInformation

E W Wilkinson
09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I had the same problem last year with a new out of the box 1220vs. I went to Lowes and purchased a toggle switch with the same ratings and it has worked flawlessly since then. I also contacted Jet and they sent a replacement but it was a much larger switch and did not fit.

Aaron Wingert
09-02-2009, 9:02 PM
Hmmm...Didn't try Lowes. Might have to go do that!

James Roberts
09-02-2009, 9:17 PM
I had the same problem with my 1220vs, it happened not long after I got the lathe:mad:. I called the Rockler outlet where I purchased it and the guy there worked with me and the techs at JET (WFM Tool Group) and I had a new switch in no time:D. According to the tech, JET had a number of these switches failing (not shutting off), whether a bad batch or an under rated switch for the vs system and motor configuration, who knows.

Point is get a hold of JET or the place you bought it. They will in all likelihood send you a new switch ASAP.

Good Luck

Jim McFarland
09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Timely thread! Mine lasted 8 months and now won't turn the lathe off. At least it's stuck in "on" position so I can control with a foot switch until I can get a replacement from Jet.

Update: I disconnected the power, removed the switch from the control box, sprayed some WD-40 in the switch, flipped it on/off a few times -- heard a "click" and now the switch works again. Still plan to call Jet but working for now. If you try this, remember WD-40 is flammable so I recommend you take it out of the control box before spraying -- if you spray in place, wait until the WD-40 solvent evaporates before applying power to the control box. When I was young and less experienced (I started to write "dumber", but that hasn't changed), I sprayed WD-40 in an auto a/c control slide switch and a spark caused a flash fire. Thankfully, no damage but I've since been very careful when I spray WD-40 around electrical components.