PDA

View Full Version : How Was This Done

Jim Glock
08-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Just curious....does anyone have an idea on how this was made? It's a small end table 20" tall and maybe 10" square. Also, any ID on the wood?
Thanks for the help....jg

Jim Watts
08-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Heartwood on the inside, sapwood on the outside - I'd say it was carved from a single log.

No idea on the species. Claro Walnut :confused:

Vinny Miseo
08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I bought one for my girlfriend last year for christmas. They said it was Monkey Pod wood, hand carved in Thailand. How true that is... I have no idea.

george wilson
08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Looks carved from a solid log,like said. No joints at all.

Mike Cutler
09-01-2009, 7:15 AM
Take a Piece of material. Solid or laminated
Turn a rough cylinder with it on a lathe.
While it's on the lathe draw a spiral with a pencil or scribe by rotating the cylinder and pulling the pencil the length.
Take the cylinder to a drill press, with as big and long a bit as you can mange and drill along the spiral marked line the amount you want to represent the middle. You should now have a a cylinder with the middle hogged out.
Remount the cylinder on the lathe and use whatever method you prefer to contiue hogging out the middle. A big sharp rasp works very quickly when it is moved along the material. it will cause the material to rotate in the lathe keeing the rasp perpindicular to the offered surface.
The edges are softened by using abrasive strips in a "shoe shine" motion along the edges.
The cylinder can now be turned on the lathe to the desired shape, ie. you may want it tapered.

This is how I made one in the 9th grade, a zillion years ago.;)

Thomas Knapp
09-01-2009, 8:29 AM
I bought one for my girlfriend last year for christmas. They said it was Monkey Pod wood, hand carved in Thailand. How true that is... I have no idea.
I turned a bowl from Monkey Pod a few years ago, and that does look like Monkey Pod.

Jim Glock
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Found the exact one on the web....Monkey Pod wood it is.

http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/Monkey-Pod-Mini-Twist-16-inch-High-Stool__G9477.html