PDA

View Full Version : Table saw motor on bandsaw?

Salem Ganzhorn
08-31-2009, 9:30 PM
I have a spare Jet 1.5 HP motor and was wondering if it would be worth it to fit it to my ~1950's Rockwell 14" bandsaw.

The Jet motor is 2x the RPM so I guess I would need to change out the pulley's to get 1/2 reduction? I am not sure if this is practical.

Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!
Salem

Bruce Wrenn
08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Is there anything wrong with current motor on BS? If not, then why swap out?

Salem Ganzhorn
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Is there anything wrong with current motor on BS? If not, then why swap out?

Fair question :). It has a 3/4hp Leeson motor and in fact I have not had power problems. But I also have not (yet) used the full capacity resawing.

1.5hp looks to be a common motor size on the nicer 14" bandsaws, and I have one lying around so why not give it a try?

glenn bradley
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
To answer your question, pulleys (sleeves) should not be a problem. McMaster Carr and others have them in a variety of sizes and qualities. Pulley calculator here (http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html) among others. The motor mounting may be the sticky spot depending on how this is currently done. If it bolts to the frame instead of the saw and is spinning the right direction; forge ahead. If it bolts to the saw and you have to start modifying, I'd think it over a bit before I made up my mind to go ahead.

Salem Ganzhorn
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
To answer your question, pulleys (sleeves) should not be a problem. McMaster Carr and others have them in a variety of sizes and qualities. Pulley calculator here (http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html) among others. The motor mounting may be the sticky spot depending on how this is currently done. If it bolts to the frame instead of the saw and is spinning the right direction; forge ahead. If it bolts to the saw and you have to start modifying, I'd think it over a bit before I made up my mind to go ahead.

The motor is mounted to the plywood top I have it on :). So no problems there. I will check out McMaster Carr on the pulleys.
Thanks!
Salem

Salem Ganzhorn
09-01-2009, 12:24 AM
It looks like the prices of pulleys are going to kill this for me. I cannot get too small on the drive pulley which would mean a very large driven pulley to bring the rotation speed down. And those large pulleys get expensive quick. Oh well...

Mike Cruz
09-01-2009, 7:53 AM
You might find that you can sell the one you have for about what you can get a used 1.5 at the correct rpm. A new 1.5HP 1725 rpm can be gotten from Grizzly for about $180, http://www.grizzlytools.com/products/Motor-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-1725-RPM-TEFC-110V-220V/G2534 . You can likely get $100 to $150 plus for your's on CL. Try selling yours first. If you do/can, that get the Grizzly...

Chuck Saunders
09-01-2009, 8:01 AM
I think you will find much cheaper pulleys at surpluscenter.com

Bruce Wrenn
09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Salem, the freight rates for surplus center are a deal killer to me. That is where they make their profit, what they charge you, vs what they actually pay. For sheaves (pulleys) locally, try Agri Supply on Hwy 70 in Garner. They stock a fairly good assortment. I used to get both motors and sheaves from junk yards, but due to insurance, most won't let you "cruise the lot" any more. You could leave large sheave the same, but use smaller on motor. Due to size of sheave on motor, you would need to convert to a "grip notch belt." Goodyear Power Flex is one brand. Check Applied Power Technologies (off New Bern Ave, between I-440 and New Hope Road.) They stock both sheaves and belts.

Pete Bradley
09-01-2009, 10:48 PM
As you've found, the size of the pulleys needed is usually a dealbreaker for putting a 345RPM motor on these machines. Luckily it doesn't sound like there's anything to fix. Delta shipped many 14" band saws with 1/2HP, and a good quality 3/4 will do a fine job.

george wilson
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I have had a 3/4 H.P. motor on my old model 14" Delta with riser block since 1964. I haven't had problems with it. Of course,my old G.E. motor has about 3X the mass of newer motors,but it's still the same H.P..