PDA

View Full Version : Which parting tool?

Harvey Ghesser
08-31-2009, 9:25 PM
Hello to all!

Can someone recommend to me which parting tool I've just gotta have?

Thanks to all!

Harv

Scott Conners
08-31-2009, 9:58 PM
The standard 3/16" or 1/4" parting tool is recommended by Stuart Batty, and does most everything. Avoid diamond profile parting tools, they are hand ground and the high points don't usually line up. The burr from sharpening creates a kerf wider than the tool, I've watched Stuart part in the full depth of the tool blade with one light hand.

Any standard HSS brand is fine, there's not much to a rectangular piece of steel in a handle. I was recently impressed with Laguna's tools, by far the best tools for low price I've ever seen, nice full size handles and blades.

Mike Peace
08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree with Scott. I have a HF 1/4" parting tool and a Pinnacle diamond sshape with a longer handle. I much prefer the HF tool. That said I also like the Penn State thin parting tool for smaller stuff. It is a lot cheaper than the Sorby.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-01-2009, 8:41 AM
I have 3, the HF 1/4", a Greenlee diamond, (which I personally like) and a thin Crown. They all have thier advantages and disadvantages. I think if I were to only have 1 it would be the Greenlee 1/8 diamond. Wastes less wood when I make boxes. Lines up grain better.

Mike Minto
09-01-2009, 9:17 AM
harvey, i have 3; first was a 1/8" 'diamond' profile PM from Crown; then got a 1/16" with a long handle, and just bought a Sorby 1/16" for use on my mini lathe. i think they both have advantages - can make tenons with the 1/8", the 1/16" can be used to detail turnings as wel as part with little waste. hope this helps, mike

Montgomery Scott
09-01-2009, 9:53 AM
For parting and other operations requiring a narrow slot I prefer the narrow kerf of the Ashley Iles tool.

curtis rosche
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
sometimes i use a parting tool, other times i find it easier to use a bedan tool, like the one Mike poste about getting the v10 steel on a while ago. you get the concept of a diamond parting tool, without having to try to make sure that the cutting edge is at the widest point

Harvey Ghesser
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for replying and making your suggestions. As a beginner in turning and someone who likes not to go to the School of Hard Knocks anymore I am grateful for your suggestions and will follow up with some research of my own.

Thank you all again!

Harv