PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate turning speed

Fred Perreault
08-31-2009, 9:05 PM

I have been a member, and lurker, of the Creek since March of 2009. And some months ago I posted a question regarding turning speed. It was sort of a rhetorical question, since I kinda' knew the answer. I was turning too slowly, and between the long time and poor quality turnings, I needed some giddyup. The answers were enough to give me the boost in confidence I desperately needed. Well, I have been practicing turning at higher RPM's, and after I was able to retrieve all my chisels from the ceiling, the walls and the floor, I was able to continue practicing my technique. Actually, my pace and quality turning mostly bowls has improved tremendously. The enjoyment factor has gone up, as well. The experience, instruction, suggestions and general blather from the Creeksters has been very rewarding.
I am an older dude, living on cape Cod, and there is a lot more species of wood available than most may think. The size of the trees is not always great, but we have black locust, swamp maple, black cherry, red and white oak, large sycamore and hard maple, juniper and lowland cedar. I have many of these species on my 16 acres. My extensive construction and mechanical background has helped me aquire lots of wood, and furnish a great shop.
I hope lurking isn't illegal...? I have tried to attach some photos of my work and shop. Please excuse the results..... my background does not include photography.
many thanks to all the Creeksters who have got me this far
Fred Perreault

alex carey
08-31-2009, 9:10 PM
You certainly have some nice pieces, it seems you are pushing your lathe right to its limits also, if those are the size pieces you are doing its not too surprising you need a little more confidence to ramp up the speed.

Nice to have you here.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2009, 9:15 PM
Fred - that is some very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

I lurked on the Creek for quite a awhile before I started posting. Neat thing was that I found that once I started posting and asking questions - my turning really started to improve. Its just part of that old give & take - the more you participate - the more you get out of the site!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2009, 9:16 PM
Fred....You have been holding out on us! Nice turnings!

I started turning 3 1/2 years ago when the idiot turners here (I use the word affectionately) gifted me with a Jet VS Mini.

It takes time, practice and confidence. I would say you are gaining all three!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2009, 9:24 PM
Fred those are some mighty fine turnings. Keep'em coming.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Very nice work Fred, you better keep showing your stuff, it's inspirational to say the least, thanks for showing :D

Paul Gallian
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Well done! Looks like you are also having FUN!

paul

ROY DICK
09-01-2009, 8:19 AM
Fred,
Very nice. I really like the winged bowls. Outstanding from where I sit.
Older folks are turners too.

Roy

Dan Scott
09-17-2009, 7:20 PM
that is my idea of proper turning speed...

neil mackay
09-17-2009, 8:27 PM
Its mainly a situation of horses for courses versus ability and stability of the lathe.

I started out with a Chiwanese :) lathe, where speed was a death wish :eek:

Now have progressed up to very solid cast iron lathes with hollow legs that for extra ballast etc.

But speed is governed by the timber condition and my ability. A while back I was turning a 12'' or so bowl out of spalted pine and just nearing the finish, I moved away to pick up some fine grade sandpaper and bang the shop was showered with wooden shrapnel, never did find all the bits. :confused:

Kyle Iwamoto
09-17-2009, 9:23 PM
I started turning too slowly too, and never figured it out until I found this site...... It all stemmed from this one book I read, that said you never have to turn faster than 500. It's dangerous. Yeah, I guess so. Haven't had a chisel stuck in the ceiling though. It usually hits me in the faceshield :eek:.

Rob Cunningham
09-18-2009, 8:53 AM
Nice looking turnings Fred. I really like the winged bowls. I haven't built up the confidence to try one yet:o. Thanks for posting. Hope to see more of your work.

Ken Glass
09-18-2009, 9:18 AM
Fred,
Lurking is not a crime here, and neither is asking questions and giving advice. You have come far, "Pilgrim." (sorry, I had to say that.) Those are some wonderful turnings. Thank you for showing and sharing. I used to go to the Cape when I had a friend from Barnstable town many years ago. A beautiful place indeed. Welcome from lurking to posting, you will enjoy all the great knowledge shared here.