PDA

View Full Version : Porch Floor material

Tom Peterson
09-11-2004, 10:03 PM
We are having a covered screen porch (14' x 18 ') attached to the house and want to put a wooden floor in reminisent(sp) of the old style porches. Looking for suggestions on what to use. A couple of things to know. Not using pine (too soft). The area under the porch is a full basement (part of the shop expansion) The decking is 3/4 inch ply with a waterproof membrane. The floor will go on top of this. Right now I am leaning toward white oak primed on the edges and bottom prior to install. Pics to follow.

thanks

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 12:25 AM
I believe the originals were often douglas fir, but white oak would be nice if you have it available.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Each area was different, here it was Southern Yellow Pine T&G 1x4's. Your area wasn't Pine AFAIK. They make several different varieties of T&G flooring. A quick call to a lumber yard or architectural materials store in your area will tell you what was used and what's available.

Tom Peterson
09-12-2004, 12:35 AM
The white oak is just a tad more expenseive then yellow pine or doug fir. Was looking for a wood that wouldn't dent or mar as easy as pine. Also considered Austrailian Cypress.

Greg Tatum
09-12-2004, 2:11 AM
How about Lyptus....distributed by Weyerhaeuser http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ourbusinesses/buildingproducts/buildingmaterials/ourproducts/lyptus/

It's 3.50 or so a bf out here if you bypass Rockler or Woodcrafters and get it thru a lumber dealer...If you are leaning towards cypress you might check it out.

Greg

John Shuk
09-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I'd say straight grain Doug Fir. My buddy just put it in his coverd porch and it is REALLY nice. It is also a very hard wood and as it ages it gets harder. just MHO.

Tom Peterson
09-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Greg,
i read about the Lyptus material in the GardenWeb forums, have not been able to find info on hardness and stability. I'll right them for info

Bob Smalser
09-12-2004, 12:22 PM
The white oak is just a tad more expenseive then yellow pine or doug fir. Was looking for a wood that wouldn't dent or mar as easy as pine. Also considered Austrailian Cypress.

Wisconsin.

Airdried stock would be perfect for a screened porch. Vertical grain is preferred because of low seasonal movement.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3223936/39972445.jpg

Any local sawyers nearby? I like CVG DF for this application...but I do that really cheap here...but if you've White Oak locally and have a planer you might be able to pick up airdried rough WO for below a buck a BF.

Tom Peterson
09-13-2004, 2:28 PM
looks like White Oak for the floor. About $2.85 a square for select material. Might be a little cheaper, my contractor is checking with someone who mills custom work. Also convinced my wife to wait before we paint the top surface to see how it looks.