PDA

View Full Version : mujingfang high angle smoother

Prashun Patel
08-31-2009, 3:07 PM
I saw a few posts about this months ago. I pulled the trigger today on one after reading a flattering test review vs other quality planes.

I'm curious how others have liked this tool... How easy is it to adjust? For 1/5 the price of an LN, it was hard to beat...

Richard Magbanua
08-31-2009, 3:29 PM
Adjusting was a lot easier than I had thought. I got a plane hammer from Lee Valley and it works pretty well. Just use the wood on wood and the metal on metal.
Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46540&cat=1,41182)

The muji's I got (the regular rosewood Tai-style planes) work very well. The blades seem to take a good edge. My smallish one (short smooth) will plane edge grain very easily even though it's bedded at 45 deg. Not sure why though. Anyways, just a little trial and error. No big deal. I guess the only bad thing is that they aren't very comfortable to use at least for me.

Brian Kent
08-31-2009, 4:54 PM
Count me in as 100% for the high angle smoother. There are times when only this plane will work. I do not use it with the crossbar and it fits my hand very comfortably. The blade is very hard and stays sharp for a long time. These are the only inexpensive planes that I recommend.

Other Mujingfangs:
Rosewood small polishing plane - excellent, though not used much since I rarely have a miniature area with tough grain.
Jack plane - excellent
Smoother - good
Rosewood 1" Rabbet Plane - useless. It never worked.

I look forward to getting one of their hollow and round pairs to see if it is as useless as the rabbet or as excellent as the others.

Prashun Patel
08-31-2009, 5:01 PM
Thanks Brian. It was the review that you linked to that led me to purchase, actually.

David Gendron
08-31-2009, 5:10 PM
I have one and don't realy like it, I think I have to play with it more... I also have a few hollow and round that work prety good... but not realy confortable, they are realy small, I will keep them until I can put my hand on a real set of Philyplanes or Clarks & Williams.

Justin Cavender
08-31-2009, 5:44 PM
I have the high angle smoother and I love it it is as good as dare I say my veritas bevel up smoother. the only thing I like better about my bus is that the blade is wider.

Wilbur Pan
08-31-2009, 8:02 PM
I don't have a Mujingfang plane but I use Japanese planes and other wooden planes that are adjusted with a hammer. Learning to adjust them is quite easy. The hardest part was figuring out that you don't have to hit the blade very hard at all to make adjustments.

The best part was realizing that I don't have to deal with backlash anymore. ;)

Gary Miller
08-31-2009, 8:55 PM
Just used mine today on some tearout in very curly cherry. Worked in conjunction w/ my LV BU smoother w/ 60.
Multiple smoothers are good for many tasks in many woods. My LN work well too--but not in very figured woods.

Gary

Glen Evans
08-31-2009, 9:10 PM
I think these are an incredible value--I love my high angle smoother--use it all the time. I just bought the trim plane and am very very impressed. These things just can't be beat for price and performance in my experience.

Glen

Pohgunn Ooi
09-01-2009, 2:53 AM
Hi all,

I am new to Sawmill Creek and works primarily with handtools. I own and regularly use the Hong Kong style 45 degree bed (smoother, jack and jointer) and high angle Mujingfang planes (smoother and palm smoothers). Their blades hold a good edge.

As owner of HNT Gordon planes as well, I agree the Mujingfang can hold their own. Extremely good value.

When I bought the high angle Mujingfang from LV, I ordered replacement blades as well. And I am very glad I did as I sometimes reverse the blade to use as a scraper. Works a treat on knots and grains I cannot control.

I believe anyone starting with wooden planes will not go wrong with the Mujingfang planes. Learn to adjust them and they're very rewarding.

GUNN

Prashun Patel
09-01-2009, 8:52 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Any advice on adjusting the blade? Can I use 'regular' tools to do this, or do I need a 'real' blade hammer?

Richard Magbanua
09-01-2009, 9:42 AM
I 'spose you could use most anything. But an actual plane hammer would be more accurate. Plus, it might be the proper tool to use to have a more "eastern" experience. LV sells a nice one and japanwoodworker.com sells a bunch.

Pohgunn Ooi
09-01-2009, 3:54 PM
I would say any small hammer or mallet will do since only light taps on the blade and back of the plane (above the heel) are required.

I use the LV plane hammer just because I bought one. I was using my regular mallet before that, not ideal since the mallet's face is so much bigger than the striking area.

Of course, now you have the excuse to buy a "plane hammer", hahahaha...