PDA

View Full Version : The International Yacht Restoration School

Glenn Clabo
08-31-2009, 9:07 AM
During our recent stacation we spent some time at the new IYRS facility http://www.iyrs.org/ here in Newport. Although we don't own a boat...which because of where we live has become VERY difficult to justify...I am interested in the wooden boat building/restoration world. I thought you'd all be interested in some of the pictures I shot at the facility.
The first are from the observation level of the small boat shop. You can walk above an watch they students and instructors as they work.

As you move into the drydock shed the first little machine you run into is a bandsaw.

As you can see...there are some other much more mundane machines in use...

I'll continue with a new post...

Glenn Clabo
08-31-2009, 9:19 AM
The major project that the students are working on is the restoration of the Schooner Coronet.
It is an amazing sight to see. The amount of work that is still required would be overwhelming to most.
More in next post...

Glenn Clabo
08-31-2009, 9:27 AM
One view which includes a real find...some old growth white oak that was recently found...
Then there is some examples of the furniture that was removed from the very elegant staterooms and dining areas...
The carvings are also and indication that this yacht was amazing in her day...

The bottom line...if you are interested in boat/yacht restoration...and you get near Newport, RI...this is one place you do not want to miss.

Richard Wolf
09-06-2009, 8:29 AM
Nice pics and story. Thanks for posting them.

Richard

Bob Easton
09-06-2009, 1:08 PM
THANKS Glenn for the pictures!

Yes, IYRS is a very interesting place. For those who would like more of this "up close and personal" approach, there's a blog by Tom Daniels titled "Shipwright In Training." Tom decided to leave the Psychology profession and become a professional boat builder (a wise choice from my point of view). His blog chronicles the 2 years he spent at the IYRS program. It ends with his completion of the program, and one can find that his next "opportunity" was building a replica of a 6 meter yacht named Cherokee.

You can find Tom's blog at: http://eweandme.com/boatblog/

My recent retirement now gives me the time to pursue boat building, and I found the IYRS experience very interesting. I imagine they are intent on training people who have a working lifetime left, otherwise I find it very tempting.

You can find my own boat building at: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/?cat=7

Thanks again for the pics.

Dave Ray
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey Glenn, thanks for posting the pic's. This is one very interesting place. Makes you realize wooden boats are still alive and well.

Glenn Clabo
09-09-2009, 5:51 PM
Thanks Bob! I contacted Tom and he is planning on coming to visit SMC. I hope he joins and spreads his knowledge....and joy of wooden boats.