PDA

View Full Version : Wall Stencil

Steve Clarkson
08-31-2009, 8:24 AM
I was thinking about making a stencil to use to paint one of my walls. The larger companies seem to use 10mil mylar for these, so I am assuming that's what I should use.

Has anyone made these before? Do you put an adhesive on the back so they stick to the wall while painting? Does the paint easily bleed underneath the stencils? Should I be asking these questions in the Better Homes & Gardens or Martha Stewart forums?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan Hintz
08-31-2009, 9:58 AM
Steve,

Normally the stencils are small enough to be held up by hand, and the paint is typically stippled through rather than brushed/sprayed. The paint edges are typically expected to be a bit rough... the stippling gives "character". If the client expects a tight outline, adhesive may be necessary, but it can't be so strong that it tears the drywall.

Dee Gallo
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
They do make an adhesive specifically for stencils. It's a repositionable glue like your yellow stickie notes. It comes in a stick, like a gluestick. There is also a spray for really big stencils. But if you are doing a small repeating design, it's most common to just hold it there like Dan said, stipple and move. Stenciling is pretty fast. Check your local Michael's or similar store for supplies and books.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Besides mylar, I like to use oil board. I have never seen anything that lasers so well.

Steve Clarkson
08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys......now if I could just get some volunteers to do the painting after I make the stencils........

Joe Pelonio
08-31-2009, 8:28 PM
for small designs there are a variety of laserable thin materials, but for lettering and large graphics there's a vinyl made just for that purpose, such as Arlon Cal-Mask, thin enough to conform to a textured wall yet easily removable. You need a plotter and transfer tape to use it though.

Adam Orton
09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
When I do it I take some drywall mud add some Dap to it, about half and half, then sponge on the mixture through the stencil. It gives a slick 3D look, and you can just dry brush it afterwards or spray bomb it.. Just and idea..

Mike Null
09-01-2009, 9:59 AM
Adam

That's a neat idea. Any pictures?