PDA

View Full Version : School :(

alex carey
08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I've complained on my facebook and to every single person i've come into contact today so I mine as well complain to you all as well.

Tomorrow I start school again because sadly summer is over. The result will be me at school all the time and doing homework which inevitably means less turning, though luckily I have no classes Thursday so that will be my designated turning day. So for the next 9 months I bid the turning world Adieu, that of course doesn't mean I won't be checking the forums for your wonderful pieces everyday.

Sorry for complaining and thanks for listening.

Alex

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Alex,

As much fun as turning is, your education is more important. There is always the possibility of turning on weekends.

Have a good school year!

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Alex - school is like anything else in life - it's what you make it! Make it exciting and have fun learning!

curtis rosche
08-31-2009, 6:30 AM
Dito for me too. NOT!:D i ended up selecting woodturning for my senior project. i get to have fun all year long, im just not allowed to use the bandsaw at school anymore:D just kidding

Pete Jordan
08-31-2009, 7:07 AM
Ditto for me too and I'm a teacher!

Skip Spaulding
08-31-2009, 7:45 AM
Have a great year, you are lucky, you have many years of turning ahead of you, many of us didn't get started until later in life.

Rob Cunningham
08-31-2009, 8:01 AM
Turning is fun, but focus on your education. You have many years ahead of you for turning and other woodwork. Enjoy the time at school.

Rod Sheridan
08-31-2009, 8:21 AM
Alex, glad to hear that you're back at the books.

Remember, all that extra money you earn by having an education will allow you to purchase really nice turning equipment, and a nice shop to house it.

Regards, Rod.

Barry Elder
08-31-2009, 8:32 AM
Alex, I'm sure that all of us disliked school at some point. You can tell easily that some woodturners disliked school to the point that they dropped out and ended their education. Education can be easy compared to the working world after school!

Eric DeSilva
08-31-2009, 3:52 PM
He didn't mention if this was a private school or a government school. If the latter, not sure what that has to do with education

As a product of public schools and state schools from start to finish--including a graduate degree--I'll stack my education up against anyone's.

Seriously. Stay in school. Read the forums here about how many of us--and how many of the people whose turnings you admire--do this as an vocation or avocation. More power to those who can make a living doing it. But, it's much better to have choices, and education, for better or worse, can give you choices and open doors.

alex carey
08-31-2009, 4:01 PM
perhaps I seemed to not like school in my first post but its not that way at all, I actually love school(depending on the classes of course), it just so happens I love hanging out with friends everyday and sleeping in a bit more. As of now I hold a 3.95 gpa and its generally because I do enjoy school.

Kirk Miller
08-31-2009, 6:11 PM
I didn't know GPA's went that high. I came home with a 3.0 once you would have thought I was voted in as mayor or something.....We hit the Sizzler that night......:)

curtis rosche
08-31-2009, 6:22 PM
i know kids who are taking AP classes that are getting a lot lower GPA than you. kinda funny since they are worth alot more

alex carey
08-31-2009, 6:44 PM
it would be a 4.0, but i got 1 A-, how lame is that.

curtis rosche
08-31-2009, 7:16 PM
one kid at our school had that happen to him. the english teacher assigned a paper. never handed out a rubric or anything that told them how it would be graded. it lowered his grade, almost made it so he wasnt valedictorian. what he did on his next paper was really funny.

he made the worlds line up right so that as you went from top to bottom down the left hand side of the page, the first letter on each line added up to say " .................................................." funnier is that the paper actually made sence when you read it. and the teacher gave him an A+ on it. he almost got away with it, till he told to many people. eventually it got around to the teacher and he got suspended for 12 days. really funny story though

Ryan Baker
08-31-2009, 7:52 PM
Hey, no way you can leave it hanging as just a bunch of dots ...

I'd have given him extra credit for that ... but then again, I would change a lot of things about our school system.

curtis rosche
08-31-2009, 8:02 PM
i was going to leave it with the first letter of ever word. but i found out that im not allowed to do that. SMC rules. gotta follow them. i assure you it was pretty funny.

Jarrod McGehee
09-02-2009, 3:02 PM
Dudes, I got school too but at least I get away with taking 2 woodshop classes and 1 metalshop. I'm taking AP english and history so we'll see how that goes and 1 unscheduled class so that's nice. Senior Year!!!!

curtis rosche
09-02-2009, 3:30 PM
yeah, senior year here to. not sure if its a good thing or not. get to leave school for college. but it means getting a real job and working. and not living at home

Frank Kobilsek
09-02-2009, 5:21 PM
Boys, Every year you can stay in School is one less year you have to get up in the morning and go to work. Like it!
Frank

CW McClellan
09-02-2009, 6:59 PM
What this proves that ya mouth can get ya ^&* in more trouble than the pen :eek: :rolleyes: