PDA

View Full Version : childrens table

joe milana
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
So I've been asked to build a childrens table out of these blocks. They were cut from 4 x 4 cedar posts and "hand" painted by the Kindergarten class. The table will be auctioned off at a fundraiser and could bring $$$$ if it turns out nice. I was thinking of stacking blocks over a 1" dowel for legs, and some kind of butcher block top. The blocks are not very square, and some edges are rounded, some are square. The blocks are too short to run over the jointer. I want the table top smooth enough to write on. Any Ideas???

John Thompson
08-31-2009, 12:13 AM
I think the 1" dowel you mentioned would probably be best considering they are not square and it would be a bear trying to square them really. You got options on the top but the butcher block might be a good compliment for the blocks so I think you are really set to go to work.

Good luck...

joe milana
08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
I am suppose to use the blocks for the top as well as the legs. I just dont know how to without jointing every one of them. Maybe glue them to a sheet of plywood, seal the perimiter somehow, then use one of those "pour on" finishes to fill the voids between the blocks and seal the top??? Could work, or could make a big mess...

John Keeton
08-31-2009, 7:10 AM
For the legs, I don't think a 1" dowel will give you sufficient stability. I would suggest using square stock legs of the same dimension. Put in twod stretchers between the legs of each sided, and vertically between the stretchers use dowel spindles. Bore the blocks and slide them down on the dowels prior to glue up, leaving spaces the same height as the blocks, and alternate rows so you get a checkerboard effect from the side.

For the top, take a piece of plywood, and put a perimeter band on it a little deeper than the height of the blocks, glue some in the "field" of the top, along with some support blocks, and lay on a glass top.

Not sure any of this makes sense, and I don't do Sketchup - yet!

Jamie Oren
08-31-2009, 1:49 PM
for the legs i like the 1" dowel idea. for the top the first thing that comes to mind is glue them all togeather square up the sides and ends add a edge all the way around that is proud of the blocks by 1/8 to 1/4. then pore in the mirror coat (bar top stuff). should be a fun project. good luck
:)

joe milana
08-31-2009, 5:59 PM
IT's probably that easy Jamie. I think i am over thinking this one. I have made a few butcher block tops before and I know how critical the joinery is.