PDA

View Full Version : Kids Desks

Jason Strauss
08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
My wife asked for desks for our girls' bedrooms. "Make them look like these", she said pointing to a picture in Pottery Barn barn catalog. I told her that she didn't want the cheap painted tops. She said fine. So, using some hickory and walnut I already had, below is the result.

I wanted to practice/acquire some new skilles, so there were a number of first for me. Overall I'm very happy with the result (and so is my wife).

This was my first time using nothing but rough sawn lumber, so I got lots of practice using the planner and jointer. I also discovered the advantagees of using a digital caliper...man, what a difference that gizmo makes! Also got the opportunity to do a shelac and wax finish. A bit of a challange for a newbie, but it turned out great. It's really not too hard once you get the hang of it.

I'm still trying to gear up to do a kitchen table and chairs. Just got a few more skills to acquire...

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice looking tables. I like the contrast of the two woods in the tops.

Pat O'malley
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
The tops look real nice, what woods did you use?

John Thompson
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Turned out great and looks good, Jason. I wish my wife would point to the Pottery Barn catalog as I need a break. You did such a nice job maybe.. just maybe she will give the go ahead to do the next project in natural wood in lieu of the painted base. The paint will be an easy fix on the girl's room as kids do have a way of scuffing things up a bit.. well, a lot. :)

Ya done good...

John Keeton
08-31-2009, 7:17 AM
Jason, the hickory/walnut combo really makes for some nice contrast!! And, putting that on a painted base makes the top stand out even more. It really turned out to be a very nice design. Hickory has such a distinctive grain, and the walnut gives it a nice calming effect. I like the whole project - both of them!!

Jason Strauss
08-31-2009, 9:26 AM
Thanks, guys. Truth be known, I had to use the walnut because after milling and sizing the hickory I had on hand, I didn't have enough for both tops. I had wanted all hickory with walnut breadboard ends, but the additional walnut turned out well.

Because the wood was basically free (Grand Father's almost endless supply), these two desks, not including shop supplies, cost a grand total of roughly $755.49...new planner, new miter saw, more clamps…on, and on, and on…

To my dismay, I continually wonder where the little extra from my paycheck goes. Hmmmm?
:rolleyes: