PDA

View Full Version : Black Titanium and Chrome Whitetail Antler

Mark Hix
08-30-2009, 9:47 PM
I got a little time at the lathe yesterday and turned these. The darker one is the Blk Ti Sedona kit and the lighter one is the Chrome Baron. I like the variety you get with antler. I am doing a couple of craft shows in the near future so these will probably be the last pens for a while. Ornaments and coffee scoops are calling my name.

Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2009, 9:53 PM
Very nice work on both pens Mark! For some reason I like the Sedona pen better - but I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the darker shade! No matter - very nice work! Best of luck with your upcoming shows!

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Beauties both of them. I to like the Sedona for some reason. Hope your craft shows go well.

John W Dixon
08-31-2009, 3:26 PM
Mark, nice job. They both turned out great. I just turned my first bit of antler this weekend.

John

Mark Hix
08-31-2009, 6:54 PM
Thanks for looking and the kind words.

Have the rest of you noticed that Steve and Bernie always seem to be on line? I don't think either one of them sleep and both must have a computer next to their lathes.:)

Greg Just
08-31-2009, 7:09 PM
Mark:

Nice job with the pens. Any tips on turning antler?

Thanks,

Greg

Mark Hix
09-01-2009, 8:19 PM
One of the keys to antlers is size selection. Pick the smallest diameter you can so that you are not into the marrow. The marrow does not finish as well or turn as well as the outside layers. Sometimes you cannot avoid it but do your best. I use callipers and a sharpie and lay out several pens on the antler before I cut it. For 2 part pens, try to utilize adjacent sections so the patterns will match up, like the grain on wood.

I drill on my lathe. If something is curved alot, I will turn it a little before drilling to get the easiest shape to handle. I drill slow. Some drill fast but I try to avoid heat.

If you want some bark left on the pen (stopper....), utilize the curved pieces.

Tools: I start w/ a roughing gouge and switch to a skew when I am close to the size I am looking for. I have been really working on my skew technique. It helps keep the sanding to a minimum. I usually start w/ 320, go to 400 and then finish w/ CA. (sometimes sand it off and start again.) Like all the other turnings you do, SHARP makes all things easier.

Turn it as fast as you are comfortable. For pens, I use my mini and have it on the highest speed possible.

The smell is a killer. I blow a fan across my lathe from side to side and wear a cheap respirator. The neighbor boys think it's funny looking under my face shield but hey, anything to avoid that smell.

Hope it helps Greg. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Mark.

Greg Just
09-03-2009, 6:58 PM
Thanks Mark. All I need now is some antler. Luckily my neighbor is a big hunter.