PDA

View Full Version : How hard IS cypress?

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2009, 6:46 PM
I started a new box project today with cypress. I don't what I was expecting but this wood is much harder than I imagined. My little Delta bench top joiner was really complaining.

Anyone know much about cypress? What wood be a good finish?

Dan Friedrichs
08-30-2009, 7:42 PM
I think there are some different varieties of cypress - the stuff I've used (not sure exactly what it is other than "cypress") is REALLY soft. Almost softer than pine.

Larry Frank
08-30-2009, 7:56 PM
I am just finishing my first project with cypress. I bought it in Florida and brought it back north to make a pair of adirondak chairs. It was all rough cut and I used my Dewalt 735 to plane it down. I had no problems getting it to thickness and smooth. It seems slightly harder than the pine you would buy today. However, it does seem to have some waxey or oily feel in places. It is hard to describe but that seems to make it harder and also a challenge to finish.

Per some advice on this site, I looked at a couple of ways to finish it. I did not want to leave it bare because it turns a grayish color. Different people have had varied success with clear type finishes or stains. The common problem is that it does not dry easily or in some cases ever. I am painting my chairs and I have to admit that the paint is drying slowly but I have the time.

Cody Colston
08-30-2009, 9:10 PM
Cypress is "moderately hard"...harder than Cedar and also stronger but not as hard as, say, SYP. The old growth stuff, if you can find it, is very rot resistant, the second growth timber not so much.

Cypress does contain an oil called cypressene which gives it it's decay/bug-resistant qualities but I've never had any problem with finishes drying. I've even milled and air dried my own planks with no finishing problems when used.

For an indoor piece, just about any finish will work although for film finishes, I like to start with a seal coat of dewaxed Shellac. For outdoor applications, any type of clear finish needs to be moisture and UV resistant. Even then, it will require regular maintenance to keep the wood from turning gray.

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the advice on finish. It will be a gift box for indoors for one of my grandkids. Since this is my first time with cypress I may make it my first time with shellac as well.

D-Alan Grogg
08-31-2009, 1:52 PM
All of the cypress that I've worked is fairly soft. No worse than SYP.

Jim Rimmer
08-31-2009, 8:57 PM
From the comments, maybe I was taking to deep a cut with the joiner or it needs to be sharpened (don't think so) or I didn't buy enough HP. It handled walnut well. I'll try it again and pay more attention to depth of cut. The surface planer didn't have any problems with the cypress.

Neal Clayton
09-01-2009, 2:04 AM
Thanks for the advice on finish. It will be a gift box for indoors for one of my grandkids. Since this is my first time with cypress I may make it my first time with shellac as well.

my only finishing variation from other things is i use an oil sealer. the grain is very subtle, but tends to have nice patterns if your finish brings it out. an oil will make it stand out a bit more.

while you may notice it being harder to cut than you imagined, be careful, as it does dent very easily.

Cliff Towle
11-21-2009, 1:53 PM
Is it possible to preserve the freshly cut reddish appearance?