PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up to Its Already Dirty-Dusty actually

Steve Mawson
08-30-2009, 6:14 PM
Several folks have asked for a update to the Delta 46-460 so I will give my impressions to this point.

On first use the headstock go a little warm close to the spindle. Three to four hours additional run time has been put on the lathe and I can tell no heat or warmth in the headstock temperature. Stayed cool as can be.

Finish-Gray finish that looks like power coat to me but I can not even find a scratch on the finish, it is about as close to perfect as it can be.

Fit-Everything has lined up out of the box.

This is my first bowl in about 10 years. Tear out was really a problem so it is taking lots of sanding. Bowl in the picture is cedar about 9x4. Sapwood on one side and heartwood on the other, this bowl will never be balanced. The bowl was already roughed out and I put it back on to finish. I got a vibration if I ran the speed high on the midrange belt setting because of the balance but I could find a smooth speed with the variable speed setting. Variable speed is really nice and very handy. Belt speeds are also easy to change, the black cover on the front opens up so everything is there to see and you can also see the motor spindle which has a cover on the outside of the headstock at the bottom.

I had forgot how nice a reverse can be for sanding. This is a great option in my opinion.

Handles lock down tight on the tailstock and banjo. Handles are hefty with a rubber cover on most of the length.

I also roughed out a green cherry blank. I used the spur center to start to form the bowl and make a tenon. When I went to knock out the spur center is was stuck tight. A hard rap with a big hammer on the knock out rod would not budge the spur drive. I was finally able to twist the center to loosen and get it out. I expected the morse taper to be totally scored but not even a scratch so don't know what happened there. That has been the only problem to this point. Let me know if you have a suggestion to keep this from happening. I was plenty worried for a little while.

Power is good even when hitting the knots in the cedar.

Lathe was purchased from Sean at Tool Nut.

Overall a nice lathe and I believe I am going to like it quite well. If you have specific questions let me know. That's it for now.

Mike Minto
08-30-2009, 6:50 PM
thanks for the pic of the tailstock - the measurements on the quill are a really great idea. enjoy! mike

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2009, 7:11 PM
Thanks for the write up. I think Delta got this one right. I got to turn a couple of items (bowl and lidded box) and was really impressed with it. I wish it had been out when I bought my Jet 1220. I think I would have made a different choice.

Richard Madison
08-30-2009, 8:47 PM
Steve,
Might try cleaning the MT and spur center with volatile solvent like lacquer thinner, something that does not leave a residue. The surfaces should be clean and dry.

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2009, 9:50 PM
Steve - looks like the new lathe is going to work out real nice for you! Nice looking bowl - beautiful color to the cedar! Tear out would be a problem for most of us when turning cedar because it is so soft. Make sure your tools are really sharp and take very light cuts and it will help ...... some! Have fun turning!

Skip Spaulding
08-30-2009, 9:57 PM
Nice write up Steve. I just got Oct. WW Journal and they gave the 46-460 the Best Bet award out of four mid-sized they tested. Looks like you made a good choice. Sounds like Bernie's Jet might be up for sale!!;)