PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Flame Polisher Group Buy?

John Schulz
08-30-2009, 4:15 PM
Hi all, I am looking to purchase an acrylic flame polisher.
Earlier in the year, we had a group purchase take place.
Is there any interest in a second round group purchase?
Since the previous "buy" was imported from China, help
would be needed on importing - I have no idea how to do
an import. Missed out on the first round, as others may
have, so again, any interest in a second group buy?

I have learned alot from all the generous contributors
here at the Creek. My gratitude to all for your help and insight.

---------------------------------
Epilog Mini 45w, Corel X4

Phil Salvati
08-31-2009, 7:07 PM
I missed the first round as well

Count me in for this round.

P

Scott Shepherd
08-31-2009, 7:53 PM
I'd like to know if Jack (or anyone else would even entertain the idea of bringing a batch over again). If so, there would have to be some incentive for him to do so.

I'd also like to know how the people that got the first batch are making out with them. I've not seen a single review or mention of them since they arrived, other than working out the chemical needed and fixing the plug that was incorrect.

Jack, you interested in doing this again, perhaps for a fee?

I'd take one as well, providing people are happy with them and they are working.

Steve Chalmers
08-31-2009, 8:26 PM
I'm of the same mind as Scott. . .if folks are happy with the previous buy, and we can get someone to put another buy together, I'd plunk down my money.

It would make us all warm and fuzzy if we could hear from some of the folks that scored on the first group buy.

Steve

Frank Corker
09-01-2009, 7:22 AM
I wouldn't have one.

Frank Corker
09-01-2009, 7:23 AM
Kidding wouldn't be without it!

Dan Hintz
09-01-2009, 9:18 AM
Kidding wouldn't be without it!
A drink in the hand? :)

Dustin Lorenz
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I was just curious on what exactly this was so I googled it. The first site that came up I clicked on and they were selling their kits for 450 not sure if this is a good deal, but maybe.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I think they paid $230 or something like that last time around, so over $400 would be up there.

Dan Hintz
09-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Before grabbing mine on the group deal, I could not find a US manufacturer of flame polishers that were less than several grand (and as big as a Buick)... the UK (for some odd reason) seems to have an abundance of manufacturers. The next best bet was eBay, but all of those were Chinese units going for $800+, or DIY plans for a couple hundred $s. At a few hundred dollars shipped for the group buy, I figured changing out a cord was a useful trade-off.

Anthony Scira
09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I feel bad I have not been able to use my polisher as much as I wanted. I am still in the process of setting up shop and unpacking from the move.

I plan on using it for some acrylic ornaments for Christmas. And boy is that just around the corner !

The one thing I did do with it was heat up my CPU & GPU on the Xbox360 to reflow the solder to fix the red ring of death (RROD). Worked great for that ! But then it broke again a month later and still need to do it again !

AL Ursich
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I am guilty of my machine still being in the box too but cut acrylic names illuminated by a LED base are in the planning for the Holiday season and this will make the product SO much BETTER.... :p

With only 20 Watts to play with I will be cutting the Acrylic on my CarveWright. Need to order some 1/4 inch in some florescent colors this week.

AL

Keith Outten
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I might be interested providing if someone can put this together.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
How about all you slackers who haven't opened the box or used yours yet, just sell them to us so we can use them :D

Dan Hintz
09-01-2009, 1:50 PM
How about all you slackers who haven't opened the box or used yours yet, just sell them to us so we can use them :D
Was that an evil eye pointed in my direction there, Steve? :p

James Stokes
09-01-2009, 2:25 PM
Well I have to be honest, I have not opened my box either. But I was always told I was a tool Junkie. :)

Cliff Patrick
09-01-2009, 2:33 PM
Don't want to violate TOS - but we would be willing to help with the importing - as we import already on a regular basis. Let us know what you'd like and we can see what we can work out.

AL Ursich
09-01-2009, 2:38 PM
I still have a Makita Planer Wet Grinder and all the wheels that has never seen daylight from 1994.... In my Navy Days of collecting tools.... I wonder if I can make a jig to sharpen my Star 912 bits with the green wheel? Off topic... Will address that later...

It is packed right next to my 2 Leigh D4 24 inch Dovetail Jigs.... Ex Wife bough me one for Christmas after I had already bought one.... Geee Thanks :)

Yes, I BE a Tool collector too....:)

I don't feel that bad that my polisher is still in the box... I am pulling the shop together for Winter and will use it for the Holiday Season.

AL

Dan Hintz
09-01-2009, 2:54 PM
Am I allowed to stick with the excuse of "I'm still constructing my workshop"?

Steve Clarkson
09-01-2009, 3:18 PM

Sell or SEND?

I totally agree with you Steve!!!!!!

bob pfohler
09-01-2009, 6:13 PM
It is packed right next to my 2 Leigh D4 24 inch Dovetail Jigs.... Ex Wife bough me one for Christmas after I had already bought one.... Geee Thanks :)

AL

Wish I had an Ex-wife! -Just kidding

I haven't opened mine either but "the road to heaven is paved with good intentions"
That's why I know I'm going straight up- I intend to do alot of things I never get to.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-01-2009, 6:20 PM
I might be interested too.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2009, 6:29 PM
Okay, is there a SINGLE person that bought it and used it? Geez, you guys are setting a bad example. No new toys until you use the ones you have (or donate them to more needy children that don't have any toys).

James Stokes
09-01-2009, 6:57 PM
I think Jack used his when he got it but not real sure.
I actually have quite a few tools new still in their box, it is nice to have the right tool when you need it. I have a wet stone polisher that took me 6 years before I finally used it. It saved me quite a bit of money because I did have it too.

Kevin L. Waldron
09-01-2009, 7:15 PM
I would like to be included in group buy if possible.

Kevin Waldron

George Brown
09-01-2009, 7:43 PM
Originally Posted by AL Ursich http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1205565#post1205565)

Anyone that buys a leigh as a present sounds like a keeper to me:D

Wanna trade?:eek:

Bill Cunningham
09-01-2009, 9:08 PM
I didn't go for the flame polisher, but I sure collect tools that I 'might' need someday.. My sand blaster is still sitting, because I just have no time to play.. But lately, I've been buying air tools when their on sale.. Just bought nice 3" disk cutoff tool.. Don't need it 'yet' but it was only 17 bucks..:rolleyes: I'll use it for something.. Bought a air powered palm nailer, it'll drive a 70d nail, someday I'll use it for something, it was 25 bucks.. and On it goes..:D

Jack Harper
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I'd like to know if Jack (or anyone else would even entertain the idea of bringing a batch over again). If so, there would have to be some incentive for him to do so.

I'd also like to know how the people that got the first batch are making out with them. I've not seen a single review or mention of them since they arrived, other than working out the chemical needed and fixing the plug that was incorrect.

Jack, you interested in doing this again, perhaps for a fee?

I'd take one as well, providing people are happy with them and they are working.

I'm afraid I'm loaded down on projects right know to coordinate another buy. I do use my unit and find it very useful. To have such an intense amount on energy in such a tiny flame is really helpful.

Martin Reynolds
09-02-2009, 2:30 AM
I use mine - for polishing and other things. The flame is incredibly tiny and hot.

It will polish acrylic while only charring the paper on the edge.

It will take out large area scratches without totally destroying the work.

If I heat plastics in a line, I can bend them (.060 - .080)

It will destroy almost anything I feed it.

Lisa Higginbotham
09-02-2009, 7:53 AM
Sounds like a cool toy. Can't see adding one to my collection just yet but I love the group buy idea. Keep me posted!

Scott Shepherd
09-02-2009, 8:26 AM
Jack, thanks for the post, just thought we'd ask :)

Would you mind if we picked your brain on how to did the transaction? Was it something you already had setup, and you used your distribution channel to get them, or was this basically a start from scratch operation where you had nothing but a contact name for the order? If you'd provide us with the information we need, maybe someone here can take the ball and run with it.

Thanks-
Steve

Adam Orton
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm up in Canada but I might be interested in one as well..

Duane Parcells
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Interested. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see if it comes together.

Adam Orton
09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I am up in Canada but I might be interested. Border and customs might be a chore..

Dave Russell Smith
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Keep me in the loop as well, thks :D

Rudy Ress
09-02-2009, 5:52 PM
If I understood the tread correctly, the flame polisher basically breaks down water into its components and it is the hydrogen (also called Browns gas on some of the sites) that is burned to make the flame. Is this correct? If yes, then why not just purchase a compressed cylinder of hydrogen? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

George Brown
09-02-2009, 7:39 PM
If I understood the tread correctly, the flame polisher basically breaks down water into its components and it is the hydrogen (also called Browns gas on some of the sites) that is burned to make the flame. Is this correct? If yes, then why not just purchase a compressed cylinder of hydrogen? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can't buy a cylinder of hydrogen. You have to rent the cylinder, monthly fee, and buy the hydrogen you use. Generating it and using it immediately is much simplier than storing it.

I'd be interested in a group buy also.

Dan Hintz
09-02-2009, 8:15 PM
Hydrogen and oxygen, if you want to be exact... and in this case, you do, as the oxygen provides quite a bit of kick to the flame. If you want to get two cylinders, one of each, and add on a little mixing controllers, knock yourself out. I'd prefer the convenience of a handheld box that I just have to fill with water from time to time, not to mention if anything goes wrong and decides to explode, it's a non-compressed cylinder about the size of my fist rather than two compressed cylinders the size of my body!

AL Ursich
09-02-2009, 9:59 PM
Sure I will trade..... She got the house in San Diego and I got my Navy Retirement and tools:D... O'.... and FREEDOM...:cool:

3 Rings of Marriage... Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, and Suffer Ring..... :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Ursich http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1205565#post1205565)

AL

Wish I had an Ex-wife! -Just kidding

Anyone that buys a leigh as a present sounds like a keeper to me:D

Wanna trade?:eek:

Jack Harper
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Jack, thanks for the post, just thought we'd ask :)

Would you mind if we picked your brain on how to did the transaction? Was it something you already had setup, and you used your distribution channel to get them, or was this basically a start from scratch operation where you had nothing but a contact name for the order? If you'd provide us with the information we need, maybe someone here can take the ball and run with it.

Thanks-
Steve

I would be happy to help where I can. I did not have a distribution channel setup for this product. However, I did have a customs brokerage hose setup to handle the import duties and customs paperwork.

Rudy Ress
09-03-2009, 8:34 PM
Thanks Dan. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something. But the safety factor is important.

John Schulz
09-04-2009, 1:54 AM
Well, we definitely have some interest here.

For the "numbers" here is the list of names so far ... (included below)
Please - everyone, chime in if I misread your intentions or interest.
Let's keep this an open topic until October 1st, and make a decision
at that point, after (hopefully) more interested parties wish to join in.
Keith, since you know best on the "local" TOS details, can Cliff Patrick
possibly do something with the Importing with insight/details from
Jack Harper (Jack, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, as your
insight and help would be - and has been already sooo very helpful).
The one area we definitely need help with is the Importing - possibly
covered by Cliff. (Thanks Cliff for offering to help here)

Here's what I have so far, in order of posting - looks like 13 seriously
interested so far. Maybe 15 (???) if the price is right? (9-4-09, 9:30am)

John Schulz
Phil Salvati
Steve (Scott) Shepard
Steve Chalmers
Keith Outten
Steve Clarkson (definite possible maybe – perhaps)
Paul Brinkmeyer
Kevin L. Waldron
Lisa Higginbotham (interested, but not right now)
Adam Orton (Canada - any import difficulties from the US for this?)
Duane Parcells
Dave Russell Smith
Rudy Ress
Jack Halley
Bob Savage1

Keith Outten
09-04-2009, 7:00 AM
Jack Harper

Sure, I don't see why not.

Scott Shepherd
09-04-2009, 8:01 AM
John, two that might be issues are the Canada and the UK shipment. Some needs to find out the cost to do that before those folks commit. For the UK, it might cost as much as the machine to get it from the US to the UK and then paying VAT on it. Just something for those outside the US to be aware of before committing.

Rudy Ress
09-04-2009, 8:32 AM
Please add me to the interested list. Thanks.

Cliff Patrick
09-04-2009, 8:59 AM
I will be more than happy to help out. Just let me know when things are finalized. If anyone knows the name of the company the flame polisher was ordered from the last time and doesn't mind sharing it, I can go ahead and get pricing. Or, I can go ahead and have my contacts looking for the best deal on them now.

jack Halley
09-04-2009, 9:56 AM
I too am interested

Bob Savage
09-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I might be interested just so I could have a new sig.

Maybe something like: Flame Acrylic Polisher, Screwdriver, Hammer, Tape Measure

John Schulz
09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I will be more than happy to help out. Just let me know when things are finalized. If anyone knows the name of the company the flame polisher was ordered from the last time and doesn't mind sharing it, I can go ahead and get pricing. Or, I can go ahead and have my contacts looking for the best deal on them now.

Cliff - many thanks for your help!
Perhaps Jack can provide you with the details from the prior group buy.

As of 9:30am 9-4-09, we may be up to dozen or so units so far. Feel free
to investigate any possibilities on unit pricing and shipping/import info.

If we target October 1st as a date to proceed, I think it is very possible
to have this completed by ... (wait for it... wait... long pause...) Christmas!
Yes, there is a Santa Claus!

Gotta run right now, but I will send Cliff and Jack and Keith some PMs.

Thanks everyone!
JJS

Dan Hintz
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
People in the UK are better off ordering one for themselves through one of the "local" manufacturers... by the time you add in shipping from the US, it could get nasty.

Goldensign International Technology Co.,Ltd. (http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Goldensign-International/6008824352507/2000000003844/3000000149681.htm)
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Micro-Flame-Polisher/p/sm/1007570188.htm

Greg Bednar
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Hello John, - I have been a lurker here for a while awaiting the arrival of my Mini-24 40W. During that time I have been amassing knowledge/software/materials and familiarizing myself with the basics. I am also interested in purchasing the flame polisher in the group buy with one caveat. The flame polishers in the UK are set up for 220V. I'd like to see the specifications on the particular flame polisher regarding voltage requirement and weather or not it has a switching power supply which will allow it to run on either 110V 60Hz or 220V 60Hz. Different flame polishers have several wattage configurations available so I hope this is detailed in the specifications. I think it would clear up a lot of misconceptions and avoid unnecessary conflicts if the specs on the flame polisher in question were published on the forum prior to me or someone else giving a firm commitment to purchase. - Sincerely, Greg

Dan Hintz
09-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Greg,

In the last group buy there were enough people (10+) to allow for a special order from Goldensign. They manufactured the units using 110V transformers, the only (minor) problem was the choice of cord they put on the unit. The cord/plug was designed for a 110V circuit, but not in a configuration common to the US. You guys will either need to specify the proper cord with a drawing, or expect to spend another $10-$15 at the local Borg for rewiring supplies.

Jack Harper
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
The company was Goldensign International Technology Co., LTD
Addr.: No. 9, JiangYin Road , HeQing, Pudong District, Shanghai, 201201, China
Tel.: 86-21-68913070, 68913071, 68913072, 68913073, ext. 115.

We did have them modify the power supplies to 110, although they shipped with an odd plug that still needed to be replaced. The spec calls for a 20 amp circuit as well.

The cost of the units were $230 each. Of course shipping, customs fees and duties were all on top of this amount. Whoever orders them will most likely need a dock and forklift for receipt.

Cliff Patrick
09-04-2009, 1:56 PM
Can someone post a picture of the exact flame polisher the group purchased the last time? I am in the process of talking to a couple of suppliers and I would like to be able to compare apples to apples. I will also contact the company that Jack mentioned as well to see if pricing is the same or if it has gone up. If no one posts a picture/specs, I will contact Goldensign and get the information from them. Once this "buy" takes place, it can come into our warehouse (we have loading docks as well as fork lifts) and then either be shipped out via our trucking company we use or FedEx, DHL, or some other way. Again, we are willing to help out any way we can. We have learned so much here on the creek and it's a way we can help others.

Dan Hintz
09-04-2009, 2:48 PM
I posted a link with pics several messages above. The units we received were white instead of blue yellow, and they only had one output tube instead of three. Other than that they were identical.

Mark Winlund
09-04-2009, 3:03 PM
I would like to buy one... what does "output tube" mean? I am in Oregon.

Mark

Dan Hintz
09-04-2009, 4:09 PM
Goldensign offers two models, one with a single output and one with a triple output. Multiple outputs would allow several people to use the unit at once, though I cannot say if they have increased the power to create a higher gas pressure to offset the extra outputs.

rodger d cooley
09-04-2009, 7:24 PM
Add me to the interested list

Alexander James
09-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Please include me in the interested list

George Brown
09-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I would be interested in one also.

Frank Corker
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Greg, you sound like a policeman!

John Schulz
09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Dan Hintz provided these links:
Goldensign International Technology Co.,Ltd. (http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Goldensign-International/6008824352507/2000000003844/3000000149681.htm)
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...1007570188.htm (http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Micro-Flame-Polisher/p/sm/1007570188.htm)

======

Jack Harper provided the following information:

We did have them modify the power supplies to 110, although they shipped with an odd plug that still needed to be replaced. The spec calls for a 20 amp circuit as well.

The cost of the units were $230 each. Of course shipping, customs fees and duties were all on top of this amount. Whoever orders them will most likely need a dock and forklift for receipt.

======
Cliff Patrick has expressed the desire and ability to help
with the importing (Thanks Cliff!) and delivery point.

======

Current list of names expressing interest in this group buy:
(No one is under any obligation to participate at this time)

1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
6) Steve Clarkson (definite possible maybe – perhaps)
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
9) Lisa Higginbotham (interested, but not right now)
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Cliff Patrick (Importer!)
14) Greg Bednar
15) Marc Winlund
16) Rodger D. Cooley
17) Alexander James
18) George Brown

==================

Many thanks to all for making this happen.
John

Deane Shepard
09-05-2009, 12:36 PM
If we can get them built with a 110 V power supply, I'd take one.

Deane Shepard

jack Halley
09-05-2009, 2:57 PM
Mine was not included! Me too please!

Paul Franklin
09-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I just found this on Youtube, it looks like the same unit as above,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG0N_Fweg4o

Paul

Bruce Dillingham
09-06-2009, 9:01 AM
You can add me to your list. Thanks

Sean De Gazon
09-06-2009, 1:41 PM
I'm also interested. Can someone post the dimensions and weight of the AFP? Also I'm hoping I would get the discounted group purchase price of the AFP even though it will be shipping to TRINIDAD West Indies.

Bruce Dillingham
09-06-2009, 3:05 PM
I am also interested. Thanks

Steve Eide
09-06-2009, 4:04 PM
Please add me to the interested list.

Bob Savage
09-06-2009, 6:53 PM
Oh, I see how it is! I don't have a laser yet, so I get left off the list as a possible, definite potential maybe on this group buy!

John Schulz
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...1007570188.htm (http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Micro-Flame-Polisher/p/sm/1007570188.htm)

======

======
with the importing (Thanks Cliff!)

======

1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Rudy Ress
14) Jack Halley
15) Bob Savage1
16) Cliff Patrick (Our Importer!)
17) Greg Bednar
18) Marc Winlund
19) Rodger D. Cooley
20) Alexander James
21) George Brown
22) Deane Shepard
23) Bruce Dillingham
24) Sean De Gazon
25) Steve Eide
26) Tom Phan

My apologies to Rudy Jack and Bob for missing your names included on a previous list.
If I missed anyone, PLEASE let me know! NO ONE is excluded... just a stooopid human
error on my part - again, my apologies... JJS

Bob Savage
09-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Absolutely no problem at all, John, and thank you!

Adam Orton
09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Are there enough Canadians interested in flame polishers?? I have found a place with a 3 order minimum and they are 230 US.. I have no idea what the end cost would be and or the reshipping fee.

Tom Phan
09-07-2009, 5:01 AM
Count me in on this

Dan Hintz
09-07-2009, 7:56 AM
Are there enough Canadians interested in flame polishers?? I have found a place with a 3 order minimum and they are 230 US.. I have no idea what the end cost would be and or the reshipping fee.
Are you guys on 120 or 240 in your area? If 120, you'll have to retrofit the transformer, and given the size that's not fun (or cheap). We only got ours shipped as 120 units because our order was large..

Adam Orton
09-07-2009, 4:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up. We are 120 in Canada so 120 volts machines would be handy though I would be okay with a 240 volt machine as my shop is close to the electrical panel.. Actually I looked at the page again and it does not mention the voltage on it.. Go figure..

Adam Orton
09-07-2009, 4:15 PM
I sent the company an email with a few questions, I'll post when I hear from them.

Mark Beito
09-07-2009, 9:08 PM
Looks like a good value, even if no one from the earlier group is actually using theirs. Put me down for one.

John Schulz
09-07-2009, 11:54 PM

1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Rudy Ress
14) Jack Halley
15) Bob Savage1
17) Greg Bednar
18) Marc Winlund
19) Rodger D. Cooley
20) Alexander James
21) George Brown
22) Deane Shepard
23) Bruce Dillingham
24) Sean De Gazon
25) Steve Eide
26) Tom Phan
27) Mark Beito
28) Ruben Salcedo

Thanks to all...

Ruben Salcedo
09-08-2009, 12:38 AM
You can add me to the list, I'm interest in one too

Ruben

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2009, 8:08 AM
I don't know the logistics of this all, but we probably need to get Cliff Patrick involved here to see if he's willing to bring that many over and handle shipping them all individually. We're almost at 30 units and that's a lot for one person to do for free.

Cliff, any limits on what you are comfortable doing?

Lisa Higginbotham
09-08-2009, 8:09 AM
It might be helpful to give a couple examples of what you would use this for. It sounds like a great deal, and I'm always up for new toys, but I would love a little more ammunition to justify the buy. Is there a video somewhere showing one of these in action? Someone from the initial group maybe talking about why they bought or what they used it for?

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Lisa,

The unit's main use is in polishing the cut edge of acrylic. Even at the perfect setting, a laser can only approach a perfectly smooth edge... with the flame polisher, a quick pass smooths out any striations and the edge looks like polished glass.

The polisher's flame is pencil thin and can be quite long when adjusted appropriately (6-8"), which allows for a good deal of control as to how much (and where) heat is placed onto an object. The same thing can be accomplished with the use of a propane torch, but the torch's large flame size makes this more difficult (you can easily burn the acrylic you're trying to polish). This makes it easier to polish out deep scratches in the middle of a piece, not just the edges. In addition, the polisher's only byproduct is water vapor, whereas a torch has somewhat nastier byproducts (which can be harmful to some materials, particularly some plastics).

But don't think this is limited to just acrylic. The flame is quite hot, so it can be used for anything else you may need a spot flame for (heating bend lines in plastic, freeing rusted bolts in tight spots, etc.).

Cliff Patrick
09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
As long as everyone understands I am only one person things will be fine. I don't mind handling however many there are. Yes, it will take time in getting them all in and in shipping them back out. As long as I have the complete address of those that are purchasing, it shouldn't be a problem. Most of the companies in China prefer to be paid up front so as long as everyone pays up front, again, no problem. Since there are about 25-30 people interested in this, maybe everyone could chip in an extra $10.00 and it looks like we may get ours for handling them all. If not, don't worry about it, we'll pay like everyone else.

I have been in touch with one company that has the flame polisher but am waiting to hear back from Goldensign now. I should have their information by Thursday. I'll post what I find out.

Also, I have been re-reading the posts and threads, and am trying to gather as much information about the exact flame polisher that was sent the last time. I will do my best to have whichever company we go with to put the correct plug on the end so it doens't need to be replaced. If anyone has any other pertinent information about the machine that I need to know, let me know so it is all straight from the get go.

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
It might be helpful to give a couple examples of what you would use this for.

Dan uses his to hold the door open :D

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Dan uses his to hold the door open :D
Is there a chill in here? I'm feelin' a bit chilly...

You would be dead wrong, sir! It's sitting on a shelf, along with a bunch of other pristine tools, showcasing my capabilities if I should ever desire to dirty said tools with actual work.

The vinyl cutter is propping open the door! :D

Bob Savage
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Since there are about 25-30 people interested in this, maybe everyone could chip in an extra $10.00 and it looks like we may get ours for handling them all. If not, don't worry about it, we'll pay like everyone else.

If 20-25 or more end up buying, I think this is reasonable request. There's a lot of work that goes into coordinating and shipping this many units. I don't want to speak for anybody else, but it seems reasonable even at 15 units... but that's just me.

Keith Outten
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
The ten dollar handling fee seems very reasonable to me. I've coordinated group purchases several times here at The Creek and I can attest to how much work it can be.

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I tried to pay something similar to Jack for setting up and handling the first group buy, but he was having nothing to do with it... I still say he should have charged a minor fee to handle it all.

Kevin L. Waldron
09-08-2009, 1:09 PM
My suggestion is.

Charge reasonable handling fee.
Charge import tax etc.
Charge unit price.
Charge Shipping to states.
Charge Shipping fee from states location to furtherest point in states.
Any overage goes to person handling the deal. We all share in cost and we get a great deal and much cheaper than if we had purchased separtely.

Give total cost (I would guess around $350) either your in or out. Give paypal account to where to send money and put this to bed!!

You guys are driving me crazy with e-mails.

Thanks

Kevin

Bob Savage
09-08-2009, 1:17 PM
You guys are driving me crazy with e-mails.

Wait a sec... you mean there are e-mails going around about this too? Kevin, what's your e-mail address. I have about 17 questions, but I need to ask them in consecutive e-mails because each new question hinges upon the answer of the previous one. :)

Anthony Scira
09-08-2009, 1:49 PM
As someone from the first buy I made a couple things. Like hand tracings and such. I found the best results is to give them a quick once over with some fine grit sandpaper say 220 grit. This will level out the lasers stirations. I found if you don't use the sandpaper you won't get that nice polished looks.

Like I also posted you can use them to heat up the GPU and CPU of an xbox 360 to fix the red ring of death.

Adam Orton
09-09-2009, 7:43 PM
I received a response and am posting it sans brochure. I was asking about the minimal amount that would be shipped as I am in Canada and was thinking a separate order. Read for yourself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your interest in our flame polisher. I am Christina and I would like very much to keep in touch with you.

Our MOQ is 5 sets and we can definitely offer your voltage, as we ship a lot the same kind.
Pls let me know how many sets you want and which model you refer for further discussion.

Pls kindly find our catalog attached for your reference. Our company is also a very big group company leading in signage industry. For which we have big factory to produce and we also have strong export dept to sell our sheets to our overseas distributors. We have our own brand name as GS, it is famous now in international stage. By saying this,we want to tell you that our quality of the products is 100% assured, with competitive prices.

For more information, please see our website:

www.sign-machine.com

I am waiting for your soonest reply.

Thanks & regards,
Christina Peng

Gary Nicholls
09-10-2009, 3:52 PM
Put my name on the list also.

Gary Nicholls

Eric Allen
09-11-2009, 4:40 PM
I'd like to jump in on this as well. I've been slacking off on building one, mostly because cleaning the plates used for the electrolysis is expensive, a pain, and involves nasty corrosives. Not to mention for the cost of these in a group buy it's cheaper than you could build it:)

Dan Hintz
09-11-2009, 5:08 PM
I'd like to jump in on this as well. I've been slacking off on building one, mostly because cleaning the plates used for the electrolysis is expensive, a pain, and involves nasty corrosives. Not to mention for the cost of these in a group buy it's cheaper than you could build it:)
:confused: Cleaning the plates of what?

Thad Nickoley
09-11-2009, 6:07 PM
I would be interested also if you dont have to mant already.

Eric Allen
09-11-2009, 10:06 PM
:confused: Cleaning the plates of what?

The stainless steel plates of the electrolyzer. They have to be cleaned within an inch of their lives ("conditioning" is usually what they call it) so you don't get foaming because of the oils and contaminants that like to hang out on the steel from fabrication and processing. Huge nuisance. The plates alone, if you have someone make and clean them, can run you upwards of $250+. Foaming causes shorting across the top of the plates that bypasses the hydrogen/oxygen generation process, making the power supply run less efficiently. There's a ton of interesting science in the project, but if I can have one in hand for what I can get just 1/20th of the parts for, well....the math is just better that way:)

Mike Christen
09-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Hello all

I purchased a polisher on the first group purchase and would like to let everyone know that it works great and I use it whenever making acrylic items that require polishing. It took some time to learn the technique of getting a nice polished edge without burning (micro bubbles i will call it), it has a very very hot flame. Using the laser for cutting, router for shaping, a little sanding at times, and the flame polisher for polishing has worked out quite well. I’m not as good as the work I have seen Frank post in the past but I’m getting there.

Good luck to all on your purchase.

John Schulz
09-13-2009, 1:22 PM

======

======

======

1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Rudy Ress
14) Jack Halley
15) Bob Savage1
17) Greg Bednar
18) Marc Winlund
19) Rodger D. Cooley
20) Alexander James
21) George Brown
22) Deane Shepard
23) Bruce Dillingham
24) Sean De Gazon
25) Steve Eide
26) Tom Phan
27) Mark Beito
28) Ruben Salcedo
29) Gary Nicholls
30) Eric Allen
31 ) Thad Nickoley

Doug Griffith
09-13-2009, 1:44 PM
I have a question. I've flame polished router cut acrylic using a hydrogen setup. What I noticed is the better the edge prior to flaming, the better the edge after flaming. Does flame polishing laser cut acrylic remove the striations or does it just smooth them out a bit?

Dan Hintz
09-14-2009, 7:58 AM
You're reflowing the acrylic, so smoothing is probably the most appropriate word.

Gary Nicholls
09-15-2009, 7:49 PM
I am also interested in this buy.

Gary Nicholls

Eric Allen
09-16-2009, 1:01 AM
It looks like some folks are wanting a 110 setup. I'd like to keep the 220 setup, preferably with a NEMA 14-50R male plug. It's overkill, but I use them a lot. If that confuses them too much or they want to play pricing games, I'll take a 220 with whatever they throw on and fix it myself. I noticed some people thinking it was by area, but pretty much every house but an outhouse in the states has 220, you just have to install a plug-in for it. Electric stoves are 220, many of them have the plug I spec'd above. It's not difficult to install the outlet, and the gas output would be substantially greater assuming they are designing them properly for that voltage. If they aren't, it just means more waste heat. If I read right, the 110 units were calling for a 20A outlet. For those wanting 110, I'd tell them you want a NEMA 5-20R male plug, that way you can pick up the 20A outlet easily at BORG. For any not electrically savvy, you should have a dedicated outlet with 12ga wiring if they are calling for that kind of draw, and they probably are. It's not hard to set up and could save you an order of extra crispy house:) Lots of builders have been using 14ga because it's cheaper and their load planning leaves something to be desired at times....If any of the guys from the first order are still reading and have a clamp meter, I'd love to know what the units actually draw on 110:)

donald bugansky
09-17-2009, 8:39 PM
Please let me know if a purchase of the polisher tkaes place. I am interested.

thx - mrbugs

Mark Beito
09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
The FP-103A--the cheaper machine from Goldensign, which is what was chosen for last spring's group buy, and what we are talking about here--draws only about 450-500 watts, or 4-4.5 amps at 120 volts. Any plain vanilla residential circuit will handle that.
http://www.sign-machine.com/html/flamepolisher.htm

Bob Savage
09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
The FP-103A--the cheaper machine from Goldensign, which is what was chosen for last spring's group buy, and what we are talking about here--draws only about 450-500 watts, or 4-4.5 amps at 120 volts. Any plain vanilla residential circuit will handle that.

That's good to know. I really didn't want to put a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my garage for a flame polisher.

Eric Allen
09-18-2009, 8:09 PM

I thought the message that said it called for 20A seemed a bit much since the 220 is only stated to draw around 4.5-ish amps. Thanks for giving us that heads up, always nice to have real numbers:)

George Brown
09-18-2009, 9:59 PM
That's good to know. I really didn't want to put a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my garage for a flame polisher.

Hey, like Tim the Tool Guy, more power!!!:D

Bob Savage
09-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey, like Tim the Tool Guy, more power!!!:D

Oh oh oh oh oh...

John Schulz
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM

======

======

======

1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Rudy Ress
14) Jack Halley
15) Bob Savage1
17) Greg Bednar
18) Marc Winlund
19) Rodger D. Cooley
20) Alexander James
21) George Brown
22) Deane Shepard
23) Bruce Dillingham
24) Sean De Gazon
25) Steve Eide
26) Tom Phan
27) Mark Beito
28) Ruben Salcedo
29) Gary Nicholls
30) Eric Allen
31) Thad Nickoley
32) Donald Bugansky

UPDATE AS OF SEPTEMBER 21, 10:30am

Dan Hintz
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Don't you think it's about time to actually order these? If you wait until the "last" person gets in, you'll be here a looooong time.

John Schulz
09-21-2009, 2:18 PM
Agreed, Dan.

Cliff is in the process of getting things organized and finalized.
Way back when, I suggested keeping the thread open until October 1st,
and would like to hold to that so no one gets left out.

Cliff, when you have more information, please update...

Thanks to all,
John

Cliff Patrick
09-23-2009, 9:46 PM
I finally got all the pricing in. I will post the results and information tomorrow after I go through them all. Once they are posted, let me know how many are interested so we can get them on order. October 1 through October 8 in China is a holiday so we may need to order before then or after. Just let me know.

Paul Franklin
09-24-2009, 1:12 AM
PLease add me to the list as a possible buyer

Thanks

Paul

Cliff Patrick
09-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Here's the details concerning the flame polisher group buy:

It will be the same unit/model number that was purchased last year - the FP-103A.
It will be 110V with the 2 prong plug (not the 3 prong that was shipped last year) that will work in USA.
Price: $370.00 for the unit that includes the unit - $230.00 and shipping from China to Ohio (my warehouse) and tariffs/duties/customs of $140.00. These prices are based on us ordering 36 units. If the order falls below 36 units, the price could go up somewhat.

I have checked pricing on shipping these units from zip code 45680 to Seattle, Washington and the prices are as follows:

FedEx Home Delivery: $45.15
USPS Parcel Post: $51.72
UPS Ground: $60.13

So, to keep things simple, I will charge $50.00 per unit to ship anywhere in the continental United States (does not include Alaska or Hawaii).

The cutoff date for ordering is October 1, 2009. If you are placing an order, please make your check payable to K&B Industrial Supply and mail to the following address:

K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Since we are dealing with a chinese company, they request payment in full up front before delivery. So, I will need to have your check in my hands no later than October 8, 2009. Include with your check, your delivery address - where you want the unit shipped to.

There is a national holiday in China from 1 October thru 8 October. I have been told that these units could ship from there before the 3rd week in October and should arrive to me sometime before Thanksgiving. Therefore, I don't see any reason why these can't be delivered to your place of residence before Christmas.

If you have any questions, let myself or John know.

Dan Hintz
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
It will be 110V with the 2 prong plug (not the 3 prong that was shipped last year) that will work in USA.
Just for clarification... you should still be getting grounded 3-prong cords with these units, just not the same prong configuration as last time. Considering this unit uses high-voltage, and the Chinese quality control is such that bad connections to the metal case are entirely possible, I would never go with an ungrounded system.

Kevin L. Waldron
09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Would you like us to confirm by e-mail before we send check or do you want us to send check. I personally don't have a problem with sending money with paypal along with the fee if you prefer.

I am still in and will do whatever you wish.

Regards, and thanks for doing this.

Kevin Waldron

Jack Harper
09-28-2009, 3:40 PM
WOW! The prices on these units has really shot up. This was the cost when we did the first purchase.

Gross cost of polishers / 15 units (3 units minimum required) = $3645.00
Shipping fee from China to Long Beach = $97.00
Shipping fee from Long Beach to Denver plus taxes, duties and brokerage fees = $417.56.
Wire transfer fee = $45.00
Total Cost for 15 units to Denver = $4204.56
Total cost per unit = $280.30
Shipping from me to the fellow creekers averaged $36.72 (UPS ground)

Cliff Patrick
09-28-2009, 5:14 PM
Apparently the cost of the units have not changed drastically. It is the cost of the freight that has. 15 units for $3645 = $243.00 each. The cost of the units now are $230.00 each bringing it to a total cost of $8280.00. I can supply a copy of the Proforma Invoice if anyone would like to have a copy. The freight/customs/duties/tariffs etc. is what is costing. I will be more than happy to provide anyone with a copy of the quote I received from the forwarder as well. As far as the shipping within the United States, I took the furthest point (Seattle, WA) and calculated that way. If anyone prefers, I can ship the units COD. It doesn't make a difference to me.

Jack Harper
09-28-2009, 8:08 PM
Cliff - I was no insinuating anything, I was just surprised how expensive they have become in such a short time. I think the shipping companies are getting a little greedy given the cost of fuel has dropped considerably.

Cliff Patrick
09-28-2009, 8:28 PM
I apologize Jack. I wasn't taking anything wrong either. I was just putting out there that if anyone would like to see any of the quotes/invoices I would be more than happy to supply. No offense taken at all. Again, I apologize if I came off wrong. That was not my intention at all.

Cliff Patrick
09-28-2009, 8:32 PM
Just saw Dan's reply. I will change the cord to the 3-prong connection. I agree that it needs to be grounded so I will get them that has the plug that will fit into a standard US outlet - 2 prongs with one ground. If anyone would like anything different, let me know and I will have her change it.

Maggie Brown
09-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I might be interested just so I could have a new sig.

Maybe something like: Flame Acrylic Polisher, Screwdriver, Hammer, Tape Measure

John Schulz
09-29-2009, 1:49 AM
OK, here's the latest list of names. If I missed anyone, my apologies, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Cliff will be ordering 36 units, per the list generated to date. We have 34 names total so far. PLEASE CONFIRM here, and Cliff and I will keep everyone posted as to payments received WITHOUT mentioning names. (I ~know~ he'll have all the checks by Monday, right?) Please send your payment to Cliff (address listed again below), since he has coordinated this with "China". The sooner we get the funds the sooner he can place the order. We have generated alot of interest on this, have a great buy opportunity and we all need each other to make this happen. Please send your payment and shipping address to Cliff :

For clarification, TOTAL PRICE = $362.00 to your door.
$230 for the Unit
$82 Importing costs and freight to Ohio
$50 Domestic shipping to you from Ohio
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

List of interested parties:
1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Steve (Scott) Shepard
4) Steve Chalmers
5) Keith Outten
6) Steve Clarkson (Permission Granted by Dee so says SC. ~Waiting for note from Dee!~)
7) Paul Brinkmeyer
8) Kevin L. Waldron
10) Adam Orton
11) Duane Parcells
12) Dave Russell Smith
13) Rudy Ress
14) Jack Halley
15) Bob Savage1
16) Cliff Patrick
17) Greg Bednar
18) Marc Winlund
19) Rodger D. Cooley
20) Alexander James
21) George Brown
22) Deane Shepard
23) Bruce Dillingham
24) Sean De Gazon
25) Steve Eide
26) Tom Phan
27) Mark Beito
28) Ruben Salcedo
29) Gary Nicholls
30) Eric Allen
31) Thad Nickoley
32) Donald Bugansky
33) Paul Franklin
34) Maggie Brown

As posted by Cliff:
Here's the details concerning the flame polisher group buy:

It will be the same unit/model number that was purchased last year - the FP-103A.
Price: $312.00 for the unit that includes the unit - $230.00 and shipping from China to Ohio (my warehouse) and tariffs/duties/customs of $82.00.[editted new price] These prices are based on us ordering 36 units. If the order falls below 36 units, the price could go up somewhat.

I have checked pricing on shipping these units from zip code 45680 to Seattle, Washington and the prices are as follows:

FedEx Home Delivery: $45.15
USPS Parcel Post: $51.72
UPS Ground: $60.13

So, to keep things simple, I will charge $50.00 per unit to ship anywhere in the continental United States (does not include Alaska or Hawaii).

The cutoff date for ordering is October 1, 2009. If you are placing an order, please make your check payable to K&B Industrial Supply and mail to the following address:

K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Since we are dealing with a chinese company, they request payment in full up front before delivery. So, I will need to have your check in my hands no later than October 8, 2009. Include with your check, your delivery address - where you want the unit shipped to.

There is a national holiday in China from 1 October thru 8 October. I have been told that these units could ship from there before the 3rd week in October and should arrive to me sometime before Thanksgiving. Therefore, I don't see any reason why these can't be delivered to your place of residence before Christmas.

If you have any questions, let myself or John know.

Bruce Dillingham
09-29-2009, 7:51 AM
I have decided to pull out due to price. It's more than I can afford now for a hobby. Thanks

Dan Hintz
09-29-2009, 8:22 AM
Send them a pic of the proper plug just to make sure... pics are better than spec documents for chinese manufacturing.

Scott Shepherd
09-29-2009, 8:31 AM
Remove me as well, price being the reason. Figured it would be about $300 total, not $420.

Cliff Patrick
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Hello all. I got another e-mail from the forwarder (shipper) concerning the units. Seems as if they made a mistake on calculating the fare. I contacted them after I read Jack's price for shipping. They have sent me an updated price and it looks to me like instead of the $140.00 per unit shipping to USA it is only $82.00 per unit. Apparently, the girl said the they entered the wrong dimensions/weight and therefore, it can go LCL which is cheaper than full containers. So, the total price has dropped to $362.00 each.

Also, I have sent Goldensign an e-mail with a picture of the grounded plug we are looking for. As soon as I get an answer back from her, I'll post her picture/specs on here for all to see.

If anyone has any specific questions or anything, feel free to contact me.

Steve Chalmers
09-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Please withdraw my name from the list. I was anticipating a price point similar to the first group buy.

Thanks for your effort.

Steve Chalmers

Duane Parcells
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I must also withdraw from this. Too much.
Thank you for all you have done.

Ruben Salcedo
09-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm considering to withdraw from the list, if the price some how drops below 350.00 I'm in if don't I'm out, sorry for the trouble and thank you for your efforts.

Ruben

Eric Allen
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
From what I can tell, the people pulling out are doing so over $45? It looks like after shipping costs that's the difference from the first order, once you factor in the average shipping.....

Dan Hintz
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
From what I can tell, the people pulling out are doing so over $45? It looks like after shipping costs that's the difference from the first order, once you factor in the average shipping.....
If the average shipping cost through UPS was $35 for Jack, why is shipping $15 more this time around? UPS prices have changed very little in the interim.

If the units themselves are $15 cheaper than last time (due to quantity, I assume), why is the total $45 more expensive? At $60 difference per unit for 30 units, that's an extra $1,800 going somewhere...

Eric Allen
09-29-2009, 1:46 PM
If the average shipping cost through UPS was $35 for Jack, why is shipping $15 more this time around? UPS prices have changed very little in the interim.

If the units themselves are $15 cheaper than last time (due to quantity, I assume), why is the total $45 more expensive? At $60 difference per unit for 30 units, that's an extra $1,800 going somewhere...

Seems as though we were discussing kicking in $10 per to cover some of Cliff's hassle relating to this process, so that probably takes up the slack in shipping. Given the real numbers, it might not even amount to that if he's charging $50. I shipped some stuff for a friend UPS recently, it was a tiny box that weighed in at a small fraction of these things and they hit us for $20, so I'm thinking their rates were pretty high. I never use them, FedEx is way more reliable, at least here and in IL. None of these figures really surprise me, I'm in.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-29-2009, 3:15 PM
I'm still in.

(Can I send a check for $10,000.00 and you send me the unit and the change, in cash, small unmarked bills, To my PO box in some unknown place, in a hurry??.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif...just kidding.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif)

John Schulz
09-29-2009, 9:34 PM
OK, here's the updated list now, with the updated pricing.
PLEASE CONFIRM whether you are still participating.

in 1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Keith Outten
4) Steve Clarkson (Permission Granted by Dee per SC. ~Waiting for note from Dee!~)
in 5) Paul Brinkmeyer
6) Kevin L. Waldron
7) Adam Orton
8) Dave Russell Smith
9) Rudy Ress
10) Jack Halley
in 11) Bob Savage1
12) Cliff Patrick
in 13) Marc Winlund
14) Rodger D. Cooley
15) Alexander James
16) George Brown
in 17) Deane Shepard
18) Sean De Gazon
19) Steve Eide
20) Tom Phan
21) Mark Beito
in 22) Gary Nicholls
in 23) Eric Allen
24) Thad Nickoley
25) Donald Bugansky
26) Paul Franklin
27) Maggie Brown

$230 for the Unit
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Cliff will need to have your check in hand no later than October 8, 2009. Include with your check, your delivery address - where you want the unit shipped to.

Thanks to all.

Bob Savage
09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm in at $362. Check's on the way shortly.

Greg Bednar
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
- snip -
PLEASE CONFIRM whether you are still participating. - snip

Please remove me from the list.

Deane Shepard
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm in at the $362. Check will go out in tomorrow's mail.

Deane Shepard

Lisa Higginbotham
09-30-2009, 7:38 AM
I am not going to do it at this point, but thanks.

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like the price could increase, with so many bowing out. What's the confirmation count?

Mark Winlund
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm in. check is on the way.

Mark Winlund
Max Machine

Please send the unit to the address on the check.

Gary Nicholls
09-30-2009, 8:45 PM
I am still in, check went out priority today. Thank you.

Gary

Paul Franklin
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I am out, sorry

Thanks

Paul

Steve Eide
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Please remove me from the list.:(

James Stokes
09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
First thing I learned when I started working, You need to have the right tool for the job. You may not really need it now but I feel sure it will come in handy eventually.

John Schulz
10-01-2009, 9:28 AM
First thing I learned when I started working, You need to have the right tool for the job. You may not really need it now but I feel sure it will come in handy eventually.

James, I agree fully.

I'd like to offer a slightly unseen perspective not mentioned yet.
Cliff has spent a HUGE amount of time on this and I am grateful for his help. The price is slightly higher than what I anticipated as well, when compared to the first group buy. I need this tool and the price is still a lot lower than to buy the polisher locally. I am not making anything from this - just saving - what it would cost me otherwise. Likewise, Cliff is not making a profit either when you consider the amount of time he has invested to make this deal happen. He ~may~ clear a few dollars on each unit shipped from his warehouse, but I doubt that would even be enough for him to pay his employees their time and labor to have the units shipped domestically. Someone asked "where's that $1800 difference going?" - right into the shipper's FREIGHT FROM CHINA fees! The unit price is LESS than the first group buy price - WITH the correct plug to plug it into the wall and start using it. The freight fees we have no control over. Domestic shipping fees will and are added into the price as an average. Cliff rounded the price up to $50. It was agreed early on that Cliff should actually CHARGE a handling/hassle fee. He has not, unless one considers that small bump on domestic shipping to be his "profit" - which it ain't! Look at the time YOU charge for a piece to be engraved in your machine - even at $2 per minute - Cliff is LOOSING money helping and doing all he has for this group buy.

These are MY thoughts on the situation, and again, sincerely appreciate Cliff's help.

PLEASE CONFIRM if you are in/out as Cliff will have many more calls to make to finalize this deal.

Thanks to all ("in" OR "out") for making this happen.

John

========================================
Updated updated list / information

in 1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
3) Keith Outten
4) Steve Clarkson (Permission Granted by Dee per SC. ~Waiting for note from Dee!~)
in 5) Paul Brinkmeyer
6) Kevin L. Waldron
7) Adam Orton
8) Dave Russell Smith
9) Rudy Ress
10) Jack Halley
in 11) Bob Savage1
12) Cliff Patrick
in 13) Marc Winlund
14) Rodger D. Cooley
15) Alexander James
16) George Brown
in 17) Deane Shepard
18) Sean De Gazon
19) Tom Phan
20) Mark Beito
in 21) Gary Nicholls
in 22) Eric Allen
23) Thad Nickoley
24) Donald Bugansky
25) Maggie Brown

$230 for the Unit
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Cliff will need to have your check in hand no later than October 8, 2009. Include with your check, your delivery address - where you want the unit shipped to.

Thanks to all.

Dee Gallo
10-01-2009, 9:45 AM
To Whom It May Concern:

Steve Clarkson has my complete blessing to buy himself this new toy - and to use it in good health for fun and profit.

Sincerely, Dee :D

Dan Hintz
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
John,

Since I was the one to ask about the $1,800 (a guesstimated figure), I'd like to point out I wasn't suggesting there was fraud or greed involved, I was simply asking a valid question that did not appear to have been answered yet. If the new units are cheaper by nearly $20 compared to the last batch, why is the to-the-door price still nearly $50 more?

Seems to me if the cost to-the-door is the same as last time, the $20 difference in unit cost would go to Cliff as a "finder's fee". I questioned the extra $15 necessary to ship each unit to the door, as well as the surprising jump in dock fees... it appears that Cliff may be able to get a better deal with the dock shipper if he hammers them a bit on their high prices, and I don't understand why UPS is suddenly charging 50% more to ship the same item 4 months later... was the estimated weight entered incorrectly?

John Schulz
10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
John,

Since I was the one to ask about the $1,800 (a guesstimated figure), I'd like to point out I wasn't suggesting there was fraud or greed involved, I was simply asking a valid question that did not appear to have been answered yet. If the new units are cheaper by nearly $20 compared to the last batch, why is the to-the-door price still nearly $50 more?

Seems to me if the cost to-the-door is the same as last time, the $20 difference in unit cost would go to Cliff as a "finder's fee". I questioned the extra $15 necessary to ship each unit to the door, as well as the surprising jump in dock fees... it appears that Cliff may be able to get a better deal with the dock shipper if he hammers them a bit on their high prices, and I don't understand why UPS is suddenly charging 50% more to ship the same item 4 months later... was the estimated weight entered incorrectly?

Dan, no harm done in your questioning the latest price.

Glad you asked though - Apples to Apples, the unit is cheaper (or was, based on a larger volume, new price ~may~ be different now, as I type this). The SHIPPING from China and dock fees, etc. have gone up TREMENDOUSLY!!! THAT is where the overall "additional" $50 is going!

FedEX ground (cheapest way to ship for Cliff) is actually $45 and change AT MOST. So, a $50 fee is not unreasonable for all Cliff HAS done, IS doing and WILL CONTINUE to do... I am in Illinois. Will it NOT cost Cliff $50 to send out my package. I will gladly pay the $50 to receive the package though, in appreciation for his hassles and time and labor to make this all happen for us.

For those from the first group buy - IF YOU CAN HELP in reducing the costs on this group buy, of which you have no investment, PLEASE help Cliff with contacting the shipper or even the company used last time and see if you too can make an impact on reducing the price of this group buy. What's in it for you? Nada - Zip - NOTHING! Well, except maybe a little appreciation from those who are involved in this group buy.

If my "tone" sounds harsh, it is not meant that way. Just calling out the facts. I deal in facts every day with my regular career, and bluntness (or is it diplomacy? I get them confused ALOT) happens!

========
Thanks Dee for Steve's "permission slip". Steve - you want in?

My thanks to all for making this happen.

John

Thad Nickoley
10-01-2009, 3:09 PM
sorry going to have to pass right nnow.

jack Halley
10-01-2009, 4:49 PM
My economy has changed some recently and will have to pull out.

Deane Shepard
10-01-2009, 7:21 PM
I would encourage those dropping out to carefully consider the deal. I signed up for the last group buy on these and then when it came time to send the money, I had had some financial change and while I really had the money, it would mean delaying some other spending and I just wasn't sure how much good I would really get out of the tool, so I dropped out. Since then, there have been MANY times I wished I had not done so. I have had a number of jobs where I thought "That flame polisher would have made this a lot easier." I was very happy to see another purchase opportunity come along. The price is definitely less than what is generally available and who knows when, if ever, another group buy opportunity will come along. Trust me, you don't want to be trying to sand, buff and polish something by hand and thinking "if only I had not dropped out, this job would already be done."

Think it over.

Deane Shepard
Universal M-360
On Order Flame Polisher

Adam Orton
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I would love to be in on this but I live up in Canada and I suspect that would be a shipping nightmare for you. Not something I would want to put someone through. They told me 5 minimum purchase and if there were enough Canadians it might be doable on our own turf.

Tom Phan
10-02-2009, 5:00 AM
I am dropping out

Keith Outten
10-02-2009, 7:09 AM
I'm in, check will be sent on Monday.

Thanks for setting this up.

George Brown
10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm in.

Mailing out check this weekend.

Thanks for all your work.

Bob Savage
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Check is in todays mail.

John Schulz
10-02-2009, 9:36 PM
Updated updated list / information

in 1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
in 3) Keith Outten
4) Steve Clarkson
in 5) Paul Brinkmeyer
6) Kevin L. Waldron
7) Dave Russell Smith
in 8) Rudy Ress
in 9) Bob Savage1
in 10) Cliff Patrick
in 11) Marc Winlund
12) Rodger D. Cooley
13) Alexander James
in 14) George Brown
in 15) Deane Shepard
16) Sean De Gazon
17) Mark Beito
in 18) Gary Nicholls
in 19) Eric Allen
in 20) Donald Bugansky
21) Maggie Brown

$230 for the Unit
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Thanks to all.

donald bugansky
10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I'll send the check in the Monday mail. Count me in.

Bugs

Mark Beito
10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Check will be in your hands on Tuesday. I missed out on the last group buy, and I'm happy someone is taking the time to put together another one. Thanks.

John Barton
10-04-2009, 3:01 AM
Well, we definitely have some interest here.

For the "numbers" here is the list of names so far ... (included below)
Please - everyone, chime in if I misread your intentions or interest.
Let's keep this an open topic until October 1st, and make a decision
at that point, after (hopefully) more interested parties wish to join in.
Jack Harper (Jack, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, as your
insight and help would be - and has been already sooo very helpful).
The one area we definitely need help with is the Importing - possibly
covered by Cliff. (Thanks Cliff for offering to help here)

Here's what I have so far, in order of posting - looks like 13 seriously
interested so far. Maybe 15 (???) if the price is right? (9-4-09, 9:30am)

John Schulz
Phil Salvati
Steve (Scott) Shepard
Steve Chalmers
Keith Outten
Steve Clarkson (definite possible maybe – perhaps)
Paul Brinkmeyer
Kevin L. Waldron
Lisa Higginbotham (interested, but not right now)
Adam Orton (Canada - any import difficulties from the US for this?)
Duane Parcells
Dave Russell Smith
Rudy Ress
Jack Halley
Bob Savage1

I live in China. In Xiamen to be exact. If I can be of help here let me know. We export a container or two every month from China as well as I ship two to three boxes to the states every week. We can let it all go through our broker in the USA.

My email is jb@jbideas.com - Sterling Gaming is the company I work for - www.sterling-gaming.com

John

EDIT: I made this post without reading the whole thread. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. Was just offering my help with anything to do with China since I live here. That offer stands for anyone who needs it.

John Schulz
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I live in China. In Xiamen to be exact. If I can be of help here let me know. We export a container or two every month from China as well as I ship two to three boxes to the states every week. We can let it all go through our broker in the USA.

My email is jb@jbideas.com - Sterling Gaming is the company I work for - www.sterling-gaming.com (http://www.sterling-gaming.com)

John

EDIT: I made this post without reading the whole thread. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. Was just offering my help with anything to do with China since I live here. That offer stands for anyone who needs it.

Thanks John, I will let Cliff know about your offer on Monday morning.

John Schulz
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM

in 1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
in 3) Keith Outten
4) Steve Clarkson
in 5) Paul Brinkmeyer
6) Kevin L. Waldron
7) Dave Russell Smith
in 8) Rudy Ress
in 9) Bob Savage1
in 10) Cliff Patrick
in 11) Marc Winlund
12) Rodger D. Cooley
13) Alexander James
in 14) George Brown
in 15) Deane Shepard
16) Sean De Gazon
in 17) Mark Beito
in 18) Gary Nicholls
in 19) Eric Allen
in 20) Donald Bugansky
21) Maggie Brown

$230 for the Unit
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Thanks to all.

Gary Nicholls
10-05-2009, 1:35 PM
I am in and you should have my check by now.

Thank you for doing this,
Gary

George Brown
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Sending you a money order by next day air, you should have it tomorrow (I know, cutting it close). Count me in!:D

donald bugansky
10-07-2009, 1:55 PM
Sorry for the delay but I returned home from out of town travel 1 day later than expected.

Check has been sent.

Thx

rodger d cooley
10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
been away from the computer for awhile. Is it to late to send a check to get in on this?

John Schulz
10-08-2009, 1:55 PM
Rodger, send Cliff your payment, I've marked you "in"...

Thanks everyone.

OK, here's the updated list.

in 1) John Schulz
2) Phil Salvati
in 3) Keith Outten
4) Steve Clarkson
in 5) Paul Brinkmeyer
6) Kevin L. Waldron
7) Dave Russell Smith
in 8) Rudy Ress
in 9) Bob Savage1
in 10) Cliff Patrick
in 11) Marc Winlund
in12) Rodger D. Cooley
13) Alexander James
in 14) George Brown
in 15) Deane Shepard
16) Sean De Gazon
in 17) Mark Beito
in 18) Gary Nicholls
in 19) Eric Allen
in 20) Donald Bugansky
21) Maggie Brown

$230 for the Unit
===========
$362 To Your Door

Send payment to:
K&B Industrial Supply
104 County Road 120
South Point, OH 45680

Thanks to all.

Bob Savage
10-20-2009, 11:45 PM
So what's the latest news?

Cliff Patrick
10-21-2009, 12:04 AM
The flame polishers haved been purchased, paid for, and ordered. They are ordered with the same company that was used last time with the same model #. They will come with the correct plug (supposedly). They should arrive before Thanksgiving but will give an update as soon as they leave China and hit the states. IF the freight comes in less (which I am thinking it will) there will be a refund of the difference to all those that purchased. I will post another update as soon as I hear from the company stating they are in the possession of our forwarder.

Bob Savage
10-21-2009, 12:06 AM
The flame polishers haved been purchased, paid for, and ordered. They are ordered with the same company that was used last time with the same model #. They will come with the correct plug (supposedly). They should arrive before Thanksgiving but will give an update as soon as they leave China and hit the states. IF the freight comes in less (which I am thinking it will) there will be a refund of the difference to all those that purchased. I will post another update as soon as I hear from the company stating they are in the possession of our forwarder.

Thank you, Cliff!

Did you receive my check? I ask because perhaps I missed it, but I didn't notice it as being cashed. Hopefully I just didn't notice it. :)

Cliff Patrick
10-21-2009, 12:30 AM
No problem Bob. I will double check tomorrow at work and let you know. Checks were deposited last week I am thinking.

Bob Savage
10-21-2009, 1:04 PM
No problem Bob. I will double check tomorrow at work and let you know. Checks were deposited last week I am thinking.

Cliff, the check cleared yesterday. Thanks!

Mark Winlund
10-21-2009, 8:00 PM
Cliff... mine was sent a few days ago, this time with a signature! I would like to suggest that the group donate any surplus funds to you, rather than sending refunds. You went to a lot of trouble to make this work.

regards, Mark

Eric Allen
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Cliff... mine was sent a few days ago, this time with a signature! I would like to suggest that the group donate any surplus funds to you, rather than sending refunds. You went to a lot of trouble to make this work.

regards, Mark

I'll second that:)

Gary Nicholls
10-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Cliff, if there is a refund, keep mine for your efforts. Thank you for all your hard work.

Gary

Bob Savage
10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Same here, no need for a refund.

rodger d cooley
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
yep, keep the refund.

Cliff Patrick
11-02-2009, 1:19 PM
To all that purchased the flame polisher. Goldensign has said they will be completed on November 7th. They have contacted our forwarder and they will pick them up and have them shipped on the 16th of November since ships leave Shanghai on Monday's. It should take approximately 10-12 days to get to LA and then another 10-12 days to get to Ohio without any type of delay. I will keep people posted as I track the movement of this product. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

George Brown
11-02-2009, 4:14 PM
To all that purchased the flame polisher. Goldensign has said they will be completed on November 7th. They have contacted our forwarder and they will pick them up and have them shipped on the 16th of November since ships leave Shanghai on Monday's. It should take approximately 10-12 days to get to LA and then another 10-12 days to get to Ohio without any type of delay. I will keep people posted as I track the movement of this product. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Wow, it takes the same amount of time to get it here from China as from LA to Ohio, doesn't say much about our carrier system.

Mark Beito
11-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow, it takes the same amount of time to get it here from China as from LA to Ohio, doesn't say much about our carrier system.

Getting a shipment off the ship, through customs, and on the right truck to its final destination adds more time than one would think. When we have imported containers from India (coming to the east coast), the actual shipping time (once it is through customs) is just a few days via rail. We are in Minnesota, far from either coast. I generally allow 2-3 weeks after the ship arrives for final delivery. It can be longer if customs gets fussy.

George Brown
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Any word on estimated arrival time?

Thanks

Cliff Patrick
12-10-2009, 8:57 AM
As of yesterday - 12-9-09, the polishers were on their way across the US being in Sandpoint, ID. We should have them in our warehouse either Friday or Monday. At that time, I will ship them out as quickly as possible.

George Brown
12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
As of yesterday - 12-9-09, the polishers were on their way across the US being in Sandpoint, ID. We should have them in our warehouse either Friday or Monday. At that time, I will ship them out as quickly as possible.

Sounds great! Thanks.:D

Vicki Rivrud
05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Okay if all these people order one . . . how does it perform? Was the purchase and its application what you thought it would be??

Thanks
Vicki

Rodne Gold
05-27-2013, 3:40 AM
Vicki , we bought a chinese one , not sure if its the same as these , but they work brilliantly...I use our one daily. If you have a laser , a flame polisher is not THAT useful if you only want to use it on laser cut stuff , however if you do a lot of non laser fabrication or use a lot of thick acrylic and saw cut or router cut it , it's a wonderful tool. We make a ton of our own awards out of 1" thick acrylic and either saw or router cut it. We used to take a LOT of time getting a polished edge prior to buying the flame polisher sometime an hour or more , now it takes a minute or 2...
These things take alcohol and some chemicals.. seems to last forever..we have yet to replenish any of it our machine...

Vicki Rivrud
05-27-2013, 9:33 AM
Thanks again, Sometimes the laser edge needs a little touch up but more importantly when we cut acrylic on the CNC Router we would like to have that "polished" edge look.

I appreciate your input and have found the unit you were referring to.

Looks like a purchase for the very near future.

All the best,
Vicki

Bob Savage
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Okay if all these people order one . . . how does it perform? Was the purchase and its application what you thought it would be??

Thanks
Vicki

I've only used mine maybe twice. It works as it should...