PDA

View Full Version : Pressure treated pine will rust metal surfaces

Don Morris
08-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I've had the attached measuring bar in the shop for years. A couple days ago I picked up the measuring bar which I bought years ago for $$$ and noticed the rust in just one area. It's like I poured acid on this area. The only thing I can think of is I helped my son make some garage mobile bases out of fresh wet PTP a couple weeks ago and the dust from that process landed on the bar which wasn't too far from the miter saw we used to cut the PTP. I sometimes will have some plastic covering part of the bar which could explain why only part of the bar is rusted. We always wear masks when cutting in the shop and particularly for PTP, but I'm pretty certain the dust from the PTP caused this. LESSON: miter saws don't have the best dust collection and clean your metal surfaces after you do a lot of cutting of fresh wet PTP. We took several days to make the bases and didn't clean up the shop inbetween. Won't do that again.

Michael Wetzel
08-30-2009, 11:04 AM
That is the reason you need to use hot dipped galvanized nails when framing with the new PT.

Paul Girouard
08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
It's the same reason in a few years decks will be falling off buildings as well . The ACQ lumber eats metal , even the ZMAX stuff.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/May24th16.jpg

All that white-ish stuff is corrosion. The connector was about 1 year in use at the time of the photo.