PDA

View Full Version : PSI guard

David Wilson
09-11-2004, 3:58 PM
Well folks, I finally have my new PSI overarm guard/dust collector installed. The unit seems to be of a good quality but the directions were written by someone who had never seen the product IMHO. The unit is designed to be mounted to the right side of a table saw or from the celing. Mounting on the right side of the saw would interfeer with the router table I built on the saw and celing mounting
would not allow me to swing it out of the way when necessary so I came up with my own mounting idea. I built a 2x4 framed shelf of the wall to the left side of my saw and mounted the unit to the edge of the shelf. This allows my to swing the unit out of the way when necessary and I can also extend the guard out to use over the router table. Thanks for lookinghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10325&stc=1

Tyler Howell
09-11-2004, 4:07 PM
Necessity is the mother. Great come back Dave;) .

Bart Leetch
09-11-2004, 10:08 PM
It looks good but did you know the major part of design was stolen from Exaktor who's guard PSI used to sell. With some very small changes & having it made over seas they sell it cheaper & take the business away from the original manufacture. I have an Exaktor Guard & have communicated with them about what PSI is doing because I recognized the similarity. :( :mad: :eek:

Greg Tatum
09-12-2004, 3:01 AM
Hey David....I just set mine up as well....I'm just using a shop vac with it now but it still picks up most of what usually comes toward me from the blade....overall I'm happy with it...plus the price was right: $149.00 internet special....

Bart, you are right, they are quite similar...I've been looking to buy one of these for some time. I looked at both the Exaktor and the Excaliber , which is also similar(except the counterweight is foward) but more expensive. The PSI is advertized for 199.00 in many tool and WWing mags so a drop of 50.00 is even more attractive. Frankly, I don't see what, in anyout ne's design, warrants the prices above the 149.00 I paid....I even recall an article in a WWing mag(maybe Shopnotes?) that had plans for yet another similar setup....Why pay upwards of $300-350 for what is essentially 3 to 4 steel tubes and a non-proprietary counter-balanced plastic shield?

That said, I didn't know that PSI sold Exaktor before selling their own....but it wouldn't change my mind about my purchase....let's face it, $149 vs $289 vs $349?....money saved is money earned.

Sorry for the soap box reply

Greg