PDA

View Full Version : Maple T&G or...

Denise Ohio
08-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Okay, on the 19' ceiling in the common area of our new strawbale house, I want to install some 1x8 maple harvested from our trees. It's high and dry and I've got it planed to 5/8 and sitting inside until I can find the time for the next step.

I had planned to route T&G after jointing the many many boards. I was wondering if I can use a shiplap (you know, with rabbets down each edge) instead---might save me a little time and effort. As long as I don't have any separation of the boards due to changes in humidity inside the house, I'll mill whatever edge will work.

Suggestions welcome. Tips and tricks welcome.

(I'm also finishing up the washstands for the two bathrooms. Mortise and tenon joinery, undermount Kohler Caxton sinks with glazed underside. gave to select the stone for the counters and we still have to pick out the faucets. It's so fun.)

Jim O'Dell
08-30-2009, 9:18 AM
I would think it would depend on whether you plan for nails to show or be hidden. If you shiplap, they are going to show. If you tongue and groove, on the groove edge, you could nail through the lower section, then the tongue would hold that edge of the next board, like you would do hard wood floors. That way no nails show. You can still put whatever style edge treatment you desire. Just my thoughts. ;) Jim.