PDA

View Full Version : Texas Mulberry

Gary Max
08-29-2009, 9:24 PM
This was a real work out---Texas Mulberry is some hard HARD stuff.
Here's a pic still mounted on the lathe.

ROY DICK
08-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Gary,

Looking good from where I sit.

Roy

Richard Madison
08-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Looks good Gary. But easy to understand why it was difficult to turn with your lathe standing on end.

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Looking good so far Gary! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks pretty good Gary. Yep Mulberry is pretty hard stuff.

Chris Rae
08-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Looks nice! That is really pretty wood, will it stay that color?

Gary Max
08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Heck Chris ---I was wanting to get a answer to that question also---????

Barbara Gill
08-30-2009, 2:42 PM
Looks nice! That is really pretty wood, will it stay that color?

Mulberry is one of those woods that quickly start darkening. The Mulberry we used in the house is now a dark chocolate brown.

Gary Max
08-30-2009, 3:25 PM
Thanks---that sounds better than what Osage turns. I have one more blank of the Mulberry left----it's not as big around as this one.

Ken Glass
08-30-2009, 4:12 PM
Gary,
Your Texas Mulberry must be somewhat different than ours in Illinois. Most of what I have turned is actually pretty soft. This NE was done some time ago and has stayed the same color with only a Beall buffing. It goes to show you what effect environment and genes have on a species. You turning looks great so far, please post it again when finished. Thanks for sharing.

Nathan Hawkes
08-30-2009, 5:26 PM
Nice job on the mulberry. I've turned a bit of it myself, and it does vary, but if its wet, it'll turn beautifully. If its dry however, it is not much fun to turn. Light cuts & sharp gouges. Osage is a bit harder, but I don't think by a huge amount. I think its hard to tell the two apart if they are freshly turned; OO gets more red IME as it ages in sunlight. I haven't done any aging comparisons with the two. That might be an interesting project for someone; they're both beautiful woods.