PDA

View Full Version : Use router bit/collet after being stuck?

Ken Platt
08-29-2009, 1:50 PM
Folks - I was using a 3/4 HSS spiral bit to make dog holes in my new benchtop, and the bit got stuck in the collet of my PC 690 router. I fiddled with it for awhile, and eventually was able to get the bit out by removing the collet/bit combo and then rapping the bit a little further in, which loosened it. Now I'm wondering, what next?

The bit shank has, not surprisingly, a score mark running around it. I can see this mark, but it is so shallow that I can't feel anything except the tiniest bit of roughness at one point. The bit was kinda pricey, and all I really got it for was these dog holes, so I'd really like to be able to finish the job. Thoughts?

The collet looks to have a mark in it, but it's hard to really see. I don't have a problem replacing it as it looks to be only a $10 item, but if it can still be used I can go ahead and finish the dog holes. As the man said in The Princess Bride, "I hate to wait".

Thanks - Ken

johnny means
08-29-2009, 1:54 PM
Nothing wrong with th bit or collet. This is pretty much an every day occurrence in all the shops I've worked in.

Steve Leverich
08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
This usually happens because the bit was bottomed out in the collet - the collet pulls the bit down into itself a bit when tightened, and this locks them together. Try this - loosen the collet nut, slip the bit into the collet, bottom the bit in the collet, then PULL THE BIT OUT maybe 1/8" and tighten the collet. Odds are it won't jam that way, unless something else is wrong... Steve

glenn bradley
08-29-2009, 11:53 PM
If I could feel the score mark I would file it down and continue. As others have said; don't bottom out your bits.

Michael Schwartz
08-30-2009, 2:09 AM
you sure that this wasn't the safety threads found in most collets these days?

With most collets once you loosen them you have to turn them a few more times and they will tighten up and you then have to loosen them again before you can remove the bit.

Ken Platt
08-31-2009, 8:22 PM
I still don't know what made the bit stick, but I cleaned the collet , decided that there wasn't much I could do to the bit shaft that wouldn't make it rougher, stuck it back in, and made my last few dog holes. No problems.

Thanks folks.

Ken

glenn bradley
08-31-2009, 9:49 PM
Good deal Ken. I just noticed that when re-reading my statement "As others have said; don't bottom out your bits" in the previous post it sounded kinda rude. Wasn't said that way ;-) Darn this sterile text environment. Glad it worked out.