PDA

View Full Version : NBM Show

Scott Shepherd
08-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Went to the NBM Show in Baltimore yesterday. I'd like to have that day of my life back. What a waste of time it was this year. In years past, I have visited the Charlotte, NC and the Baltimore, MD shows both, normally about 4-6 weeks apart.

This year was the worst I have ever seen. In past years, most of the laser manufacturers were there, most of the main stream distributors where there, all with catalog and samples.

This year. One laser manufacturer. Johnson plastics didn't have any display other than dye sub equipment. In fact, it could have been named "The Dye Sub Show" because that's about all anyone was shilling for. Shows are normally something I look forward to because most of our suppliers are out of state. So it's the only time I get face to face to tell them I think they are doing a great job, or they are doing a horrible job and need to improve if they want to keep my business.

Not this year. No one to talk to because no one was there. One of my main suppliers had told me without question they would be there in full force. Nope. Didn't show up. I placed an order on Thursday with a place that was listed on being there. Before I hung up, I said "I'll see you guys at the show tomorrow". She said "Ummm, yeah.....we won't be there".

I literally was ready to go after 20 minutes. Just nothing to see if you don't want to buy a dye sub machine or a automated sewing machine.

NBM either needs to step up and get the dealers there or forget trying to draw sign guys into the show, cause it ain't worth the trip any more.

Just my opinion. Overall, we spent 1 hour of there, and 20 minutes of that was drinking a drink and eating some cookies at the concession stand, then one more trip around the place to make sure we didn't overlook something.

fred sanchez
08-29-2009, 2:13 PM
i agree the long beach show sucked

Dan Hintz
08-29-2009, 6:28 PM
I stayed about two hours, myself, but that was probably because I was interested in learning what was available for dye sub. I expected at least 2-3 times as many companies, and even though I gleaned some useful info on dye sub, I was sorely disappointed (particularly since this was my first NBM show).

Epilog made a showing, and their booth was of a good size, but they appeared understaffed (even for the poor showing of people)... I hung around for five minutes or so to talk with someone but ended up moving along. A full 40% of the companies appeared to be either manufacturers of stitching machines, screen printing machines, or graphics packages for one or the other; roughly 25% were large-scale plotters/printers; roughly 25% was dye-sub; and the remaining 10% consisted of "various" things (like Epilog, awards suppliers, etc.).

Doug Walker
08-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I'll second that Long Beach Show sucked!!!!!!!

Steven Wallace
08-30-2009, 4:46 AM
I live in Phoenix and the resorts here have had a terrible season... It is all for the same reasons. The economy and businesses, yes even those that are pimping their wares, are afraid to show that they spent money on a travel budget. So, most are not making the shows and are just trying to keep their people working by using other methods of tempting you to buy. I have been to several different types of shows this year and they all sucked for lack of a better word. I mean from home and garden to wood working to recreational vehicles. People just don't have the money and don't want to have to explain travel expenses to the taxman. It makes no sense. Most of us don't buy unless we can see, touch and talk. The companies don't have sales, then bye bye employees. It is sort of backwards thinking if you ask me. Sorry for the rant.

Lisa Higginbotham
08-30-2009, 7:50 AM
Thanks for the update Scott. I thought about going to Baltimore, only because i have a new person coming on board and thought it might be a good introduction to the industry, but after looking at the website decided I wasn't going to make the 4 hour drive. I was shocked that PDU was not planning to attend. The only reason i could see to be there would be to see the new products JDS was going to show.

I am planning to go to NBM Charlotte in October but that will depend on who is showing. When we were in Vegas in February for the ARA show I had thought that maybe by October things would be turned around enough to think about upgrading my blast system at the October NBM. I really want to do that, but so far can't see spending the money this year.

On the other hand I am on the Trade Show Committee for ARA this year and we are already full force into the plans for Vegas 2010. We have a strong roster of booths already signed up, including new companies. I fully expect that by the 2010 Vegas ARA show things will be much better and suppliers will be back on track strutting some good stuff.

If you are not an ARA member, the time to join is now!

Keith Outten
08-30-2009, 8:40 AM
Steve,

Jackie and I were planning to go to Baltimore this weekend, we cancelled at the last minute. I'm sure glad I didn't waste the time after hearing your report of the pitiful vendor showing. I have some sign work in my shop right now and the time is better spent getting it done than driving the highway to an event that isn't supported. It sounds to me like the show should have been cancelled.

I hope you are considering making the trip to Columbia South Carolina October 2nd to attend the Vectric Software Camp that James is hosting. I know that you haven't moved toward CNC yet but you may be convinced based on what you see and hear at the Camp. James Booth will be there, an opportunity to spend some time with him is worth the trip.

I have been doing some marketing in my area lately working on landing a large corporation that would provide plenty of work for several of our shops here in the area. We should get together and talk when an opportunity presents itself.

Scott Shepherd
08-30-2009, 9:09 AM
Might just do that Keith, we have talked about CNC a lot lately. We just moved from 400 sq. ft to 2,400 sq. ft so we've got plenty of room for one now and we are passively looking at CNC machines.

We went to the show to look at a couple of things. One, a shear, and we wanted to see and actually touch the higher end shears. Of the several things we were holding off on so we could buy at the show, none of the people showed up, so we didn't buy anything. So to those dealers that didn't attend the show, sorry, you missed my sales. We had cash and credit to buy some things, but you didn't show up. Your loss, as we'll find them elsewhere now.

I have several friends that are marketing gurus. Most of the time I don't listen to them much because they always want me to spend money :) but one thing that they constantly repeat is that history proves that the companies that spend money on marketing in down times show over a 250% gain in business when the downtrend changes, and those companies that failed to advertise in down times almost always do worse. So you have to look at who was at the show and give them credit, namely Epilog for the lasers, and you have to know that them being there will serve them well in the recovery, where as new shoppers that saw them, won't have ever seen a ULS, Trotec, GCC, or anything else.

Mike Null
08-31-2009, 7:25 AM
I found the same lack of attendance at recent NBM shows in Indianapolis. The NBM shows just don't seem to be worth the time and money any more. That wasn't always the case. Just a few years ago they were quite good and covered the three show facets very well.

I may have to step up to the expense of the ARA next year.

Lisa Higginbotham
08-31-2009, 8:18 AM
As a retailer attending the Vegas ARA show in February, your comment on marketing rang true. Coincidentally, that is what we are working on right now in our own business. But at Vegas, the show itself was down 20% in exhibitors and attendees. However, the exhibitors in attendance were making the statement "we ARE in business" and the retailers in attendance were telling them "we are SERIOUS about our business". I found that I got better face time with my suppliers -- new and existing. I also found that those suppliers were bending over backwards to help me with my business, where in past years they wouldn't, because i wasn't spending big bucks. It was a really good show.

I expect the ARA show next year will be back to full strength and am looking forward to it. It is definitely the best show for my industry. I attend the NBM Charlotte, because it's close, there used to be some good show specials, and there were enough of my suppliers there to make it worth the drive. This year I will hold off on that decision until close to show time because if the Long Beach show got bad reviews, I can't imagine the Charlotte show will be much different.

william kaminsky
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
As a retailer attending the Vegas ARA show in February, your comment on marketing rang true. Coincidentally, that is what we are working on right now in our own business. But at Vegas, the show itself was down 20% in exhibitors and attendees. However, the exhibitors in attendance were making the statement "we ARE in business" and the retailers in attendance were telling them "we are SERIOUS about our business". I found that I got better face time with my suppliers -- new and existing. I also found that those suppliers were bending over backwards to help me with my business, where in past years they wouldn't, because i wasn't spending big bucks. It was a really good show.

I expect the ARA show next year will be back to full strength and am looking forward to it. It is definitely the best show for my industry. I attend the NBM Charlotte, because it's close, there used to be some good show specials, and there were enough of my suppliers there to make it worth the drive. This year I will hold off on that decision until close to show time because if the Long Beach show got bad reviews, I can't imagine the Charlotte show will be much different.

Lisa...

I do not find too many of the retailers intersted into refreshing the pot of sales. They go along the same old lines over and over again, they all say "We need new blood (new sales)" but have not put back into the industry the same effort. They know the workings, not have them explain the working to one who does not know.

There always seems to be someone quick to answer the telephone inquiery, but no one interested in holding that first seminar for the very first three people who own or do not own a laser machine. You have to SELL your product, not just get the word out that you got the latest and greatest. Those folks who know all about you are only interested in their own next project. There are others out there who know near zero of your interest, and thus many retailers are passing up a sale. Just because the XYZ Corporation has ten of your machines, does not mean they are any better than the guy who does not one a single one and is working out of his garage. When the XYZ Corp. has bought their last reliable machine, where then do you go for the next sale? Another walk-by trade show? May be why sales are dropping, attendance is slipping, for those that come know what is ahead of them.

Wm.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Apparently we went to a different show than the media.....

http://www.nbm.com/newsletter/ae/tw/tw-090901.php#Baltimore

They said was an "outstanding" show. Must be nice to live in a world where you sit around and pat each other on the back for being so successful. I've seen quite a few forums posting how horrible the shows have become and specifically how poor the Baltimore one was, yet they are give it a great review in A&E. I've just had my perception of A&E changed.

william kaminsky
09-01-2009, 8:16 PM
Apparently we went to a different show than the media.....

They said was an "outstanding" show. Must be nice to live in a world where you sit around and pat each other on the back for being so successful. I've seen quite a few forums posting how horrible the shows have become and specifically how poor the Baltimore one was, yet they are give it a great review in A&E. I've just had my perception of A&E changed.

I think You and I go to same shows, but do not know the intepretation of OUTSTANDING. Most are pretty bland.

How often have you heard a vendor say "we got a new product here that will save you a lot of $$$ on your next project"?

Wm.

Keith Outten
09-02-2009, 3:14 AM
I wonder if the show promoters are spending too much effort putting together mega shows when they might be more successful with smaller more comprehensive events in more locations that are more informative. I always felt that informative displays at shows were where my time was better spent and I think it translates to sales better than the same old sales pitches these people put together.

From my point of view it is time to overhaul sales and marketing. I am so tired of stupid TV commercials that insult my intelligence and web sites that are nothing more than snake oil commercials. Fancy color brochures that tout instant wealth won't get the job done anymore. I wonder if there are a lot of people who feel the way I do and that is why attendance at show events has been fading year after year.

Lisa Higginbotham
09-02-2009, 8:08 AM
I have had a different experience from you, apparently. I belong to a group of engravers on the Engraving Etc forum and they have been fabulous in helping me when I needed help, teaching me things I didn't know, and offering ways for me to grow my business. I see alot of that here on SC as well. These are invaluable! If these folks aren't giving back to the business, I don't know who is! In addition, I have a core of fantastic suppliers that have also bent over backwards to help and teach me -- which is so smart -- when I need something, guess what suppliers will then get my business?

I am all about giving back. I am an active participant on EEtc, and this year was asked to serve on an ARA committee which has been fantastic. I look forward to staying involved and doing more. I hope I am giving back and paying forward.

Lisa Higginbotham
09-02-2009, 8:12 AM
I saw that too. Having read posts on this and other forums, the consensus was that, at least for the engraving industry, the NBM Baltimore show was awful. I chose not to go based on the pitiful presence of suppliers at the show. I plan to go to Charlotte since it is only 2 hours from here, and I am hoping to snag a couple show specials and even a piece of equipment (if the economy picks up!) -- but even that show is in jeopardy -- I will wait to see the final list of exhibitors to decide.

Jon Colley
09-02-2009, 8:39 AM
This is a very interesting topic. I agree that the same old trade show format is not serving the needs of the retailer or the supplier and we all share the responsibility to improve this. I know it can be frustrating to drive several hours to a show that does not meet your expectations, and I have also shared this experience by paying to exhibit at shows that were poorly attended. Our most expensive show here in Canada a couple of years ago yielded 4 leads after 4 - 10 hour days of standing around a booth. Needless to say, we won't be back. They also came out with great press releases saying how well attended the show was, but I can tell you that the guys in the booth across from us were playing poker for the last 2 days of the show because there were no visitors even close to our booths.

I would like to get feedback on what makes a trade show valuable to you and what you expect to see from us as well as the other suppliers. Our folks in marketing always think they know the answer to this, but I'd like to here it from the people that visit us at the shows. What do we as suppliers do right? What do we do wrong? What do you wish to see that you aren't seeing now?

Dan Hintz
09-02-2009, 9:49 AM
The show "specials" didn't wow me, either. $1,500 off of two $20k CNC machines, an extra "crystal only" lightbox (which should cost about $30 if you built it yourself) if you buy the $7k "everything" lightbox for the transparent color images on substrates thingy (technical term), etc. I'm sure there were better special to be had on the bigger items, but right now I can only dream about purchasing a $250k wide-format printer, even if it is 10% off.

Scott Shepherd
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Jon, thanks for posting. I have a couple of opinions that I'll share. One, is the price to get a booth is off the chart. It's not uncommon for a company to spend $10,000 on a booth from what I understand. In the case of NBM, they have 5 or 6 shows around, so that's $60-70,000 on a show per year. If you're selling products that cost $15 each (sheets of plastic), you'd have to sell one whooping amount of plastic to make that kind of profit, assuming the margins on those plastics is what I think it is. And all of that would have to be generated from the show, or it isn't worthwhile. The shows need to be affordable for the person displaying.

I'd rather pay $20 per head to attend than have the price for the dealers be so much that the dealers don't attend.

I've been attending trade shows for many years, mostly in manufacturing, not as much in this business, but I look for the same thing. I look to meet the people we already buy from, learn about products and services we were not aware of, discuss any issues we have with their company, as well as look for the small guy that's invented a new product that makes us more productive.

There are many small guys out there that have very cool products or very useful products that would help us be more productive. However, they can't afford to be at the show because they are too small to afford it. So we have to rely on forums and magazines to find these hidden gems.

We have a Xenetech rotary machine and Xenetech has quoted us $6,000 to upgrade the electronics. At the NBM show, there was a guy from California that has designed and made a board to retrofit our machine. Cost was $2,500 and it gave us all kinds of flexibility we don't think we would have had with the $6,000 upgrade from the factory. This is EXACTLY the type of person we go to the shows to see.

I'm told now the closest Trotec dealer to us is about 600 miles away. Only time I ever get to see a Trotec is at the shows. So if you want me to buy a Trotec (which is a possibility in the future), you need to have me in front of your machine, and having a dealer 600 miles from me, isn't likely going to make that happen.

Jon Colley
09-02-2009, 4:20 PM
Scott: Thanks for your valuable input. I don't have any control over our US sales structure, but I'm sure they will have someone closer to you in the near future.

I hope all is well in Richmond. I was there a couple of times on business in 2004 when I was working with our US office.