PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Band Saw Table?

Stephen Edwards
08-29-2009, 9:26 AM
Has anyone built a replacement table for their old BS? I have an old Cman that I'm slowly restoring that will be dedicated for curved work. It's from the 60s.

The top is very rusted and pitted. I'm thinking of cleaning it the best that I can and building a new table that would mount directly on top of the CI table. Any thoughts?

Philip Johnson
08-29-2009, 9:39 AM
I don't see why it would not work another way would be to fill the pits and paint it. A guy I work with did that with his old machines...cleaned em up filled the pits and painted with teflon paint, he said it has a nice slick finish and doesnt have to worry about rust.

Stephen Edwards
08-29-2009, 9:53 AM
I don't see why it would not work another way would be to fill the pits and paint it. A guy I work with did that with his old machines...cleaned em up filled the pits and painted with teflon paint, he said it has a nice slick finish and doesnt have to worry about rust.

That's a good idea. I wonder what your co-worker used to fill the pits?

Scott Hildenbrand
08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Bondo.. Any good auto body filler will work. Just not Tiger Hair or Duraglass.. One has fiberglass in it and the other is hard as crud and difficult to sand flat if built up too high.

Philip Johnson
08-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm sure any auto body filler would work or there are a number of epoxy fillers or metal set, metallic type fillers like liquid metal. He used a teflon paint which gives a hard slick surfurce, it is common in the aircraft industry he probably borrowed a little bit from work, not sure how hard it is to find