PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser won't turn on

Johnson Gordon
08-29-2009, 8:57 AM
Hi,
I have a 3-year old Versalaser VL300 that I use in my workshop for personal hobby use. Anyway, yesterday I went to turn it on and use it and nothing happens. I used it almost every day over the past week. But, yesterday it won't turn on. I suspect the power switch (which might trigger a solonoid) has gone south. But, the other possibility is a fuse. I can't find a fuse. I always have the laser unplugged when not in use, so I don't think any power surge could be the cause of this.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might look at to diagnose this while I wait for Monday to call Universal?

Thanks,

Gordon

Paul Cavallaro
08-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Johnson:

Try turning on the Versalaser by clicking on the green button on the Versalaser screen on your computer. This will rule out mechanical failure of the power switch on the Versalaser.

Also remember the machine will not turn on unless Windows is running and the USB cable is plugged in. Pull out both ends of the USB cable and the plug them back in and retry.

If it still does not work, write back and I will try to help more.

Paul Cavallaro
American Laserworks, LLC
North Haven, CT

Zvi Grinberg
08-29-2009, 10:57 AM
The problem must be related to communication through USB2.0
If anything wrong happened to the operating system you might want to try other ports. If you disconnected it frequently as you describe, you should put it back to the same port.

There is a fuse. It's located at the power input. Just disconnect the cable and snap the fuses out (there are actually 2) with their plug-in insert.

I still believe that you have a USB issue. The remedy would be to uninstall the drivers and then install it again after reboot.

One other thing to check is the hardware device manager. Look at the Universal Serial Bus section and see if the system has USB2. Try to recover it with the operating system settings. Sometimes by just deleteing the USB entries at the control panel.

As last resource there is a woodoo method to recover USB2. I have no explanation but it always worked.

Turn off the computer.
Unplug ALL USB devices
Unplug the power
Press the power switch for 20 seconds (this is the woodoo thing, for which I am not willing to speculate an explanation)
Put power plug, turn on the computer, plug all USB devices one by one.
It worked too many times. It should work for you.

Good luck.

For any need during the weekend (including files for installation) you may send me an email to zvi@caliber.co.il

Zvi

Johnson Gordon
08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm off to the workshop to try these.

Gordon

Johnson Gordon
08-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Unplugging the USB chord, and then turning everything on again worked. Why didn't I think of that Windows thing of "reboot". Anyway, I'm up and running. I just cut out the thin foam pieces to make a version of this indoor RC plane with my younger son for him on this rainy day.

Thanks again for the help. Now we can build his plane

Gordon

Roy Brewer
09-04-2009, 12:29 PM
As last resource there is a woodoo method to recover USB2. I have no explanation but it always worked.Zvi,

So much for the mister nice guy image, but all the problems all of us have with USB, it's hard to believe that a manufacturer woud make that as their only interface.

Zvi Grinberg
09-04-2009, 5:26 PM
Universal's modern architecture has so many substantial advantages, that a little bother to handle such a case is negligible in comparison.
The older methods of CPU based machines introduce much more potential issues and problems, increase cost of ownership and require more user steps in everyday operation.

Besides, any issues with USB2 (if and when they occur) are easily resolvable and it's done at host computer level mostly without any need for even a screwdriver.

Zvi,
So much for the mister nice guy image...

I (almost) agree with you on this point.