PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on this drill press?

zayd alle
08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Hello, folks.

This is in the local ads. I know it's a Delta, but don't know much else, and neither does the owner.

Is it something suitable for woodworking tasks? What would be a fair price given its visible condition and assuming it runs?

I don't mind an old machine and often prefer them, so offer up any criticism you can. Thanks a bunch.

Zayd

paul cottingham
08-29-2009, 1:02 AM
I have that very drill press, and really like it. I tracks great and drills straight :-) The table is so handy that if I ever have to replace the drill press, the first thing I would do is build a table for it.

I paid $100 for mine, but it was from a friend who wanted to put it in a good home.

Bob Aquino
08-29-2009, 8:39 AM
Hello, folks.

This is in the local ads. I know it's a Delta, but don't know much else, and neither does the owner.

Is it something suitable for woodworking tasks? What would be a fair price given its visible condition and assuming it runs?

I don't mind an old machine and often prefer them, so offer up any criticism you can. Thanks a bunch.

Zayd

Wow. Thats a delta 17" with a foot feed for the quill. If you havent gone out and gotten it yet, you might be too late. That machine has a 6" travel on the quill. Parts are pretty well available for it if you know where to look. Even if its 3 phase, a VFD for it will run you a wee bit over a c note.

Matt Meiser
08-29-2009, 9:38 AM
Wow--that's a great find with the nice table and foot feed. If you don't want it send me the info and I'll get it.

Bob is right on with the VFD. I tried to by a slightly larger Walker Turner on Ebay locally that was three phase and that's exactly what I was going to do. Then you get infinitely variable speed on a really well built machine.

harry strasil
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I have the same machine, but without the foot feed and a smaller table, My father and Uncle got it WW2 surplus right after the war and its been going strong since, except I had to replace the die cast step pulleys. I has been used in a blacksmith shop daily ever since they got it, just remember to oil the splined quill regularly. You remove the name plate on the front to oil the quill.

zayd alle
08-29-2009, 1:07 PM
Thanks a bunch for the quick info guys... went out today and it sold for $250 just before I got there :(

Well, at least I know now not to delay on a machine like that...

Thanks again.

Zayd

Bob Aquino
08-29-2009, 5:27 PM
The foot feed alone would sell for probably 1-150 bucks, and it had a production table on it. I would say for 250 it was more than a fair price. Thats why I said to jump on it.

george wilson
08-29-2009, 6:21 PM
Do be careful of that foot lever. I nearly got a tooth chipped a few times from being too close to the regular quill handles when the pedal was released. This was on a smaller Delta.

paul cottingham
08-29-2009, 8:09 PM
Even without the foot feed, I really like this DP. Sadly I no longer have space for it, so I lent it to my father in law. I want it back when I have more space.