PDA

View Full Version : Trashed BS Tires

Tom Esh
08-28-2009, 8:43 PM
I swear I don't normally do things this dumb, but...
I thought the BS blade was getting a little dull while resawing some 6" cherry, but I wasn't having to feed all that hard. I managed to make it all the way through the cut except for the last 1/16" then SQUEAL and the blade stopped. Apparently the blade had gotten hot enough to start melting the tires. What's more when it stopped the blade fused to the tires.:eek: (Spent a half hour with a heat gun and screwdriver prying it off.). What's strange is there was no hot rubber smell before or after. The workpiece wasn't burned, but it does have a nice rubber coating deposit where the cut stopped.
So I guess the lesson here is don't wait too long to change the blade when resawing, or you may be out the price of a new set of tires.:(
BTW that's not the blade on the tire, but rather its imprint melted into it.

glenn bradley
08-28-2009, 9:21 PM
Wow, till I read the post I thought that was the blade just as you described. Just an impression? That was a hot blade. Whew.

harry strasil
08-28-2009, 10:10 PM
are the guides too tight which can cause a lot of friction heat?

george wilson
08-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Never EVER had that happen. Was the tension high enough?

Tom Esh
08-28-2009, 10:35 PM
are the guides too tight which can cause a lot of friction heat?
Nope. I'm pretty careful about setup. I think there was just too much gnawing (and not enough cutting) going on.:D

Tom Esh
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Never EVER had that happen. Was the tension high enough?
Passed the flutter and twang tests and right in the ballpark on the scale for every other blade of that type I've used. I think I've narrowed it down to two things:
1) Dull blade for sure.
2) It was a long piece so I had a featherboard on the outfeed side. IF I had it too tight or too close, it suppose it may have pinched the blade.

Mark Godlesky
08-29-2009, 1:44 AM
If your saw is 14" Hartville Tool has urethane tires on sale for $20/pair.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783

Jeff Willard
08-29-2009, 6:38 PM
2) It was a long piece so I had a featherboard on the outfeed side. IF I had it too tight or too close, it suppose it may have pinched the blade.

:eek: Bingo!

My guess (and I think it's a pretty good one ;)), is that the band probably wasn't dull, you were just experiencing the increased resistance from the featherboards. The featherboard on the outfeed side probably wasn't so tight that it caused burning within the kerf, but was tight enough to cause enough friction to create heat. Soon, enough heat was generated to start melting the tire, and eventually cooled enough to fuse the band to the tire.

Tom Esh
08-29-2009, 7:46 PM
:eek: Bingo!

Yup. I set the featherboard with practically zero tension, just enough to limit drift if I inadvertently start to lever the piece off the fence from the infeed side, but... (failure analysis):
1) Setup for the cut.
2) Readjust the fence (don't remember why)
3) Take a phone call. :mad:
4) Forget to readjust the featherboard (probably as a result of #3).
5) Make the cut, pinch the blade, cook the tires.

The lesson turns out to be more about the dangers of interruptions than anything else. For sure I'll be using it as a case-in-point to justify being incredibly grumpy when interrupted.:D

george wilson
08-29-2009, 8:03 PM
Why not just snip the extra blade from each side of the tire,leave the blade glued on it and make a CIRCULAR SAW:)

Tom Esh
08-29-2009, 8:13 PM
Why not just snip the extra blade from each side of the tire,leave the blade glued on it and make a CIRCULAR SAW:)

I actually thought about snipping the blade and pulling off the tires. Might have made an interesting conversation piece, however at the time I still had this silly idea the tires might be salvageable. :D

Jeff Willard
08-29-2009, 11:05 PM

You really know how to give the OSHA people a case of the vapors, dont'ch?