PDA

View Full Version : Lost good freind today..

Jerry Olexa
09-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Today , I lost my constant workshop companion and loyal buddy, Beau... He was our 5 1/2 year old lab and was diagnosed with kidney issues a few months ago. He had been decling slowly and steadily since. Yesterday @ the vets, we did additional blood tests, etc. confirming it has advanced a lot and blood counts, etc are all very low, The doctor was amazed he could still walk. Kidney disease in a dog is not curable so reluctantly, this morning we took Beau back to the vet to ease his suffering, etc This morning, he still chased a ball for me on wobbly legs as we picked up the newspaper. He always "hung in there" in the workshop even though the noise of the power tools sometimes scared him. He will be missed. Pls excuse the sorrowful note..

David Wilson
09-11-2004, 11:54 AM
You have our deepest sympathy.

Dave & Jane Wilson

Tom Sontag
09-11-2004, 12:01 PM
What a gorgeous animal!

Thanks for sharing him with us.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Jerry, So sorry for your loss. I have a 17 year old Bichon and fear the day you have just experienced. One thing that will always stay are memories and some pictures so they're not ever totally gone. Alan in Md.

Kent Cori
09-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Jerry,

Please accept my heart felt sympathies. I too have lost several great friends over the years who just happened to have four legs. I have one now that is one of the best ever (she loves to fetch a ball too) and I dread the day we part company. I know that you are going through a painful time. Hang in there.

Jim Becker
09-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Jerry. But Beau will remain in your thoughts, despite his passing.

It's amazing about how attached we all become to our companions, no matter what the type or breed. Dr. SWMBO and I will likely experience a loss of our own one of these days as our older bird, Spike, a 15 year old cocketiel, has some form of cancer that affects his immune system. Antibiotics and antifungals are keeping it at bay, but someday they will undoubtedly stop working. (At that point, I'll have to learn to trim my own nose hairs...:o...[the ones on the outside!]...and the same with LOML's eyebrows :p )

Greg Tatum
09-11-2004, 12:45 PM
My deepest sympathy to you, Jerry. I remember well the day, 2yrs ago, that I had to make the same descision for my 16 y/o Golden. We had the vet come to the house. We then had "Our hairy son" cremated and I made my first box for him. He will always be with us.

Your picture says so much and I know you will miss him.

Kindest Regards,
Greg

Steve Evans
09-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Jerry

We lost our dog back in March at 12 years of age. We swore we weren't going to get another, but we did. We adopted a 2 year old Airedale a few months ago. They sure help you put your priorities a bit more in order.

Steve

Tom Hintz
09-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Jerry,
I am very sorry to hear about this.
Two years ago I had to put my long-time parter "Luther" to sleep toprevent his suffering also. Though he was a 135 lb German Shephard, he was convinced he was a lap dog whenever I sat in my recliner.
Luther also shadowed me everywhere, including the shop where he would lay on his rug near the door and watch as long as I was working.
Missing a pet is hard and it does get better with time but never goes away. I don't think I want it to as the memories are comforting.

Tyler Howell
09-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Sorry For Your Loss!

John Miliunas
09-11-2004, 1:11 PM
Jerry, my very deepest sympathies go out to you, my friend. I lost my pal less than a couple short months ago and it's truly heart-breaking. It gets better as time passes, but I'm certain Beau will continue to be missed. Take care my friend...

Rich Konopka
09-11-2004, 1:17 PM
Jerry:

We almost lost our dog last year when her kidney shutdown. It was terrible and only someone who owns a loyal pet would understand. I wish you the best and keep the fond memories of Beau alive.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-11-2004, 1:58 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know it hurts deeply.

Ken Garlock
09-11-2004, 3:29 PM
Jerry, I know how you feel. Last February I had to put my kitty to sleep for the same problem, kidney failure. Like "they" say, you will feel better with time. He certainly was a good looking dog.

Mark Singer
09-11-2004, 3:51 PM
Jerry,
I am really sorry...I have a lab and I am a dog lover,,....I know how hard this is.

Mark Stutz
09-11-2004, 4:51 PM
I always get tears in my eyes reading these posts, as I'm already dreading the day that our yellow Lab won't greet my when I come in the back door.

Joe Mioux
09-11-2004, 4:55 PM
Hi Jerry

Sorry to hear about your loss. Labs are a unique breed of dog. They are such a loyal & playful companion. Sometimes a little too playful, but that is what makes this breed so special. Again sorry to hear about your loss.

Joe

Carole Valentine
09-11-2004, 5:40 PM
Your post makes me cry Jerry. I am so sorry. I know I will probably have to be in your shoes someday and just don't know how I will be able to stand it. My "Raven" (half lab, half golden) is my child, my constant companion, my best friend.

Doug Jones
09-11-2004, 6:07 PM
I also want to convey my sympathy for your loss. Been down that road myself, not an easy road to travel. However time does heal and memories keeps him with you. Sorry

Shelley Bolster
09-11-2004, 6:09 PM
Jerry, like Carol, your post brought me to tears and it has taken several attempts for me to be able to post. As one more lab owner, I can imagine the emptiness that you are now feeling - they bring so much love into a persons life. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Maurice Ungaro
09-11-2004, 7:24 PM
Jerry,
I can't tell you how much my sympathies go out to you. I put my Lab, Java, down four and a half years ago. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. Fortunately, now I get to focus on all of the good thoughts and wonderful companionship (and yes, humor...as Labs are good humored creatures). I was 39 at the time, and believe me, putting Java down was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Prior o that I had lost my dad and my oldest brother - pretty life changing events, but this dog just shy of 14 years had seen me through a lot. I still have her ashes, not having scattered them like I said I would. It's not certain when I'll get around to doing that, but it's ok.

I still have not replaced her in my life, because of logistics, and a job that demanded commuting, plus getting married and renovating a house. However, today, I rescued a lost puppy, who literally came up to me, across a busy street, and looked up to me as if to say: "hey, here's a person who can help me". He had no tags, no collar, and despite my efforts to find a nearby owner, he wasn't going to let me off the hook. By chance, i was headed to a friends house out in the cuntry, and I placed the pup in a wonderful loving home. It felt good.

Keep a spot in your heart for Beau.

Maurice

Chuck Fischer
09-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I have a lab too man, I can't imagine your sorrow. I am so sorry for you. Please accept my deepest sympathys. It isn't easy to say goodbye to that friend who wags his tail every time you walk in the room. They stand by us through thick and thin, and they never get tired of being with us. Amazing animals aren't they?

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Chuck

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Jerry....my deepest sympathies..

Sam Chambers
09-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Jerry:

Please accept my condolences. My yellow Lab, Murphy, will be 8 in November. I've had dogs all my life, but Murph is special. Sounds like Beau was that way for you. He will always be with you in spirit.

mike lucas
09-12-2004, 1:23 AM
That is strange, because just this morning an older yellow Lab male showed up at our house. It really took a liking to my 5 1/2 year old son. He named him Buddy, and the dog does pretty much everything my son tells it to, and responds to his new name as if that has always been his name.
My son would hit the baseball, and Buddy would start out after the ball on contact.

aurelio alarcon
09-12-2004, 4:05 AM
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I recently lost a friend of mine as well. I have some sense of what you are going through. Our friends are so important to us. Whether it be for companionship or for our health, they are always so loyal and comforting. I know that you will miss your friend a great deal. You posting this thread is evidence of that. You have my deepest sympathy. I know your friend can't be replaced, but keep in mind that there are plenty of homeless "friends" who have been orphaned at your local animal shelter just waiting to prove their loyalty to you.

John Haylow
09-12-2004, 7:33 AM
Jerry.

I'm very sorry to hear about Beau. We went through this some time ago with our two dogs. We lost them both within 6 months of each other.

It takes time Jerry.

Regards,
John

Dave Anderson NH
09-12-2004, 7:38 AM
Sue and I went thru this on August 9th with Otis our Springer Spaniel. It is difficult and we still miss him . We will get another Springer, but not to next Spring since training and housebreaking a puppy is not something to be done in NH over the cold and snowy winter months. You have our greatest sympathy, for we know all too well the close bond we had with our four legged family member.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-12-2004, 7:38 AM
Losing a pet is never an easy thing. Sorry to hear of your loss. He looked like he was a very good dog. We had to put down one of our pets last year...wasn't fun.

Ken Wright
09-12-2004, 9:18 AM
So sorry ... My yellow Lab Rolex will be 14 in couple of months and also is my constant companion. He's had an eye removed because of a tumor, is hard of hearing and is no longer able to jump into the back seat of the truck .. but he still goes because I pick him up and help him out. He manages to get around slowly but OK and seems happy so I'm thankful each day that I have him. Nothing makes him any happier than a pile of cherry shavings coming out of the planer .... he thinks its a great bed.

My best wishes to you.

Mac McAtee
09-12-2004, 9:42 AM
Regards to you and your family. These things are never easy. It is amazing how much we become dependent on dogs. Non-dog people don't understand that the dog owns us, not the other way around.

Jim O'Dell
09-12-2004, 9:43 AM
Jerry, you have my deepest sympathy, and like many others have stated here, I, too have lost a beloved pet, and have one in her final months at age 14+. I undersand the pain and sorrow. You will know when it's time to get another. If I can help, we are involved with rescue work. There is a large Lab Rescue Network, and I can find some contacts for you in your area if you are interested. We have found that most rescues are very affectionate and crave the love that maybe they didn't receive back from their original owners.
Something that has helped us when we have lost a pet, is to start a file on the computer, and everytime you remember something funny, or neat that Beau did, write it down. It helps to be able to go back in a feew months and read them and smile.
I'll leave you and the others here with one last thing, a poem called:

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Ed Falis
09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Condolences, Jerry. I know the feeling.

- Ed

Bruce Page
09-12-2004, 2:57 PM
Jerry, your loss brings tears to my eyes, you have my heartfelt condolences. Labs are the sweetest, smartest dogs that God created. My yellow lab is going on twelve and starting to have a little trouble getting around. I am dreading that day when I have to take him to the vet for the last time.

Ted Shrader
09-12-2004, 2:58 PM
Jerry -

My sincere condolences on the loss of your shop mate and loyal all around friend. Those of us that have had the sad experience of loosing companions like Beau have great empathy for you right now.

In the future, your memories of Beau will be fond ones. But for right now, we share you pain.

Regards,
Ted

Jerry Olexa
09-13-2004, 4:34 PM
My sincere thank you to ALL of you who showed your hearts and compassion during the recent loss of our beloved "Beau". Its obvious to me many of you are "dog people" and understand the deepness of these relationships. This is a great forum made up of great people, Your thoughts/expressions again confirmed this. Thank you for that and for letting me be part of this forum!

James Carmichael
09-13-2004, 4:52 PM
Awfully sorry to hear of your loss, Jerry. I still miss my "pardner" of 12 years, my Brittany, Zeke.