PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Pal vs Dowel Max

Colin Wollerman
08-28-2009, 6:46 PM
I did quick search for this but did not turn up anything, altho, I am sure it has been done.

Starting some small projects and I am ready to move past pocket screws.

I know Domino, woodrat, etc. are the best but I just don't do that much to justify, In fact dowel max is pushing it. I have a good plunge router and a couple drills so it boils down to the right jig.
There is, of course, shop built jigs, which I have not ruled out.

So, If it was your money...??? Thx.
http://www.mortisepal.com/

http://www.dowelmax.com/

richard poitras
08-28-2009, 7:27 PM
I have a Dowel max and think it is a great tool and would buy it again, you don’t find used ones due to the fact that anyone that owns one loves it. As far as the Mortise Pal I don’t own one but have heard nothing but good things about them and I know you can also get templates for the Pal that can do doweling as well as mortising so you may get more for the money with the Pal but I don’t think you can go wrong either way …Good Luck
Richard

Mike Henderson
08-28-2009, 7:41 PM
It depends on how many mortises you plan to make. I drill mine out and clean up with a chisel. If you're just doing hobby work, I recommend the same for you and keep your money in your pocket.

If you're going to do a lot, get a horizontal slot mortiser.

Mike

Don Dorn
08-28-2009, 8:29 PM
I have a Mortise Pal and a friend laughed because I bought it when it was still a very new tool. He didn't laugh after he saw it work because it's very versitile, makes perfect and even mortises right where you want them. I'm lucky in that I got a metric template when they were still available. When used with a 5/16" bit, am able to use Festool 8mm x 40 mm tenons. It's quick, easy and accurate - no regrets.

That said - I'm very sure I'd feel the same way about a dowelmax. Have never seen one, but can't remember reading about anyone that had one that didn't like it.

glenn bradley
08-28-2009, 8:38 PM
I'm pretty much the opposite of Richard so between the two of us, you get no help ;-) I have the Mortise Pal; love it and use it on everything from 1/2" material picture frames to table legs. I don't have the Dowel Max but all I hear is good stuff about it from those that have it. See??? No help.

I bought mine (the original version) on special and it came with the jig, all the templates, the collar, centering pin, etc. I am not sure if the new version (which is improved and has 1" greater capacity) comes with all the goodies or not. I make all my own tenons out of scrap from the same wood as my project so that is pretty much a zero cost. The Dowel Max offers a good array of accessories at additional cost but, I am sure there are special packages and sales on it too. Good luck on your decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Jacob Mac
08-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I have the Dowelmax and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I hand cut dovetails, and I use traditional M&T, but sometimes the dowelmax really fits into what I am building. I bought it when I had a $300 windfall, so I splurged on something I would not have bought otherwise. If you get a Dowelmax it is everything they say it is.

But the MP looks like it is really well made, and I have not heard anything bad about it. So I am not sure there is a wrong choice. Ultimately, you need to decide which form of loose tenon joinery you prefer. If you already have a nice plunge router, mayber the MP makes more sense for you. I know they have a doweling template, so it might be more versatile.

And, no doubt someone will post that you can build a jig yourself and save money. This is probably true, so you might want to look into that.

Bill Huber
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I have both the DM and the MP, they are both great tools and I use them both at different times.

I use the DM the most, it is so easy and faster then the MP.

There is just no set up and lay out with the DM, set it on the board, move it to the end of the board and drill the holes you need.

With the MP you do have to measure out your center of the tenon, this is not a big thing but it does take time.

The other thing is with the DM is I can use it on a 3/4 x 3/4 board with no problem.

Colin Wollerman
08-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow!, Great input. Thanks all.

I think I am leaning toward the MP mainly because of the price. A fair bit less expensive.

Actually, the plan is right now to give it a go with a home made jig. Edge guide with some stops. If I make a mess of it and /or they take way too long then out with the Visa!

I just spent $400 on oak for a curio table, two end tables and a light duty work bench..."sigh" I am saving money doing it myself...right? :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Will post progress etc.

Jacob Mac
08-29-2009, 8:57 AM
Wow!, Great input. Thanks all.

I think I am leaning toward the MP mainly because of the price. A fair bit less expensive.

Actually, the plan is right now to give it a go with a home made jig. Edge guide with some stops. If I make a mess of it and /or they take way too long then out with the Visa!

I just spent $400 on oak for a curio table, two end tables and a light duty work bench..."sigh" I am saving money doing it myself...right? :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Will post progress etc.

If you do buy one and don't like it, you will be able to recover most of your money. DM and MP are well made, and highly sought after. I bet you could get 80-90% of your money back selling the DM.