PDA

View Full Version : I know this is OT but need a quick answer about Diabetes & sugar.

Joe Tonich
09-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Just found out my sugar is a little high and am not supposed to use regular sugar. Whats a safe and good alternative to use? This stuff is all new to me. :confused: :confused: LOML's heading out the door and wants to know what to get.

Thanks,

Joe

I know this is in the wrong forum but more people here and need a quick answer. Thanks.

Steve Beadle
09-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Splenda is really good, but Equal is pretty good, too.

Joe Tonich
09-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Splenda is really good, but Equal is pretty good, too.
Thanks Steve,

Splenda it is.

Thanks again,

Joe

Bill Turpin
09-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Splenda is an excellent substitute. Be very careful of the low carb, net carb SCAM that is currently going through the food products. Sugar alcohols, they end in "ol", are converted to blood glucose, just a little slower. Look at total calories, and statements "not for weight control". If the calories are not reduced there is no reduction in blood glucose effect.

Bill inC mountains
diabetic for 15 years

Joe Tonich
09-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Splenda is an excellent substitute. Be very careful of the low carb, net carb SCAM that is currently going through the food products. Sugar alcohols, they end in "ol", are converted to blood glucose, just a little slower. Look at total calories, and statements "not for weight control". If the calories are not reduced there is no reduction in blood glucose effect.

Bill inC mountains
diabetic for 15 years
Bill,

It recently went to 240, but W/pill it was 85. Dr. said it just started going up, according to a blood test that averages your sugars for the last 3 mos.. I guess it's the beginning stages. If I watch what I eat & lose some weight, she said I may not need to take pills. LOML's already left to pick up the Splenda brand.

Thanks,

Joe

Bill Turpin
09-11-2004, 4:29 PM
Sustained BG above 150 causes damage. Anything that is liquid can be effectively sugar substituted. The crystal structure of cookies, half the bulk of cakes, at least one third of ice cream is sugar. Remove the sugar and things change drastically. Most family doctors and GP's are not very good at treating diabetes. See an endocrinologist if things don't stay in normal range.

Bill in WNC mountains

Mike Wilkins
09-13-2004, 2:39 PM
If the doc has not said this yet, listen. Exercise is great for maintaining a
level glucose throughout the day. Getting your weight closer to normal and
losing fat not only helps this glucose concern, but helps your heart as well.
Diabetes not only affects the kidneys but there is a direct affect on the
ole ticker as well.
Certain foods can raise your glucose level more than sugar. They are
listed on a scale known as the glycemic index. This rates foods as to their
speed in raising your sugar levels in the blood. Go to webmd.com and you
will find a world of info on this subject.
Splenda is the best tasting sugar substitute in my book.
Good luck and hit the road.