PDA

View Full Version : Photogenic Wood Finish

Joseph Barnes
08-28-2009, 4:44 PM
I recently recieved a commission to do a studio prop for a lady that photographs new born babies. The piece is a "birdsnest" consisting of a large natural edge rounded bottom burl bowl supported in a carved cradle of a forked set of burl limbs. (debarked and sanded to expose the burl grain)
I am a woodturner so most of my work has a high gloss shine but with photography that would just glare and would not look good. My question is this: What kind of finish would be the most photogenic or easiest to photograph? The lady wants a very "natural" look but I want to pop the grain as much as I can with out it looking too much like furniture. Thanks in advance.
Joe Barnes

Bob Barkto
08-28-2009, 5:13 PM
This works for me.

Polish the wood, not the finish. I go quite a bit finer than I would if applying a surface finish. Up to 600 -800 grit depending on the wood.

Follow with a light oil.
I'd try walnut oil for the least discoloration.
It won't add or detract from the sheen of the wood too much but will pop the grain nicely.
Real tung oil will work too but it adds a bit of amber color and will be darker than walnut oil. Also will leave a slightly duller surface, but that might be desirable in this case?

You can increase the sheen by wet sanding the oil into the wood with 600 grit or finer wet or dry paper and then a light buff with a cloth.

Scott Holmes
08-28-2009, 7:39 PM
As long as no one is allergic to nuts.

An in-the-wood finish that seals the wood, would be better than an oil finish... babies tend to leak; the oil finish will not stop liquid from entering the wood.

I'd use an oil/varnish blend; 1/3 BLO, 1/3 varnish, 1/3 mineral spirits.

Wipe it on let it soak in for 20-30 minutes then wipe it dry. Repeat the next day.

You're done.

Bob Barkto
08-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I wasn't thinking the children would be holding the item...
If that is the case then walnut oil would not be a good choice due to uncetainty that all the protiens would be removed in processing.

Tung still would be a good choice and would not be too glossy if it isn't built up.

Oil/varnish mixes get glossy and don't offer enough protection from little accidents to call them very effective. Can't think of a finish that would be very protective and non-reflective except tung oil. It's very water resistant.
Not sure if that would be enough to protect from a childs mishap tho...

Scott Holmes
08-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Bob,

Oil finishes are not protective...

What "tung oil" are you recommending to Brian for use on this project? Tung oil (pure) is a marginal finish at best.

An oil/varnish blend will out preform a pure oil (walnut, tung or linseed) finish in any situation other than a cutting board.

Oil/varnish finishesblends are in-the-wood finishes and don't build a glossy film; they're too soft.

Bob Barkto
08-30-2009, 1:07 AM
Considering the op's post I think he's looking for a finish that's not very reflective but will still accentuate the wood figure and grain.

I have to photograph all manner of things as part of my job, including things made of wood. The oils I mentioned have, in my experience, worked best at meeting his goals. IME oil/varnish mixes will produce a glossier surface all else being equal.

I refered to pure tung oil.

I think to take this further we'll get too far off topic, but if the op would like to chime in about other requirements...
:)

Joseph Barnes
08-31-2009, 1:41 PM
I kept meaning to reply but I wanted to take some unfinished pictures first. I have them but not loaded yet. I went with a BLO/low gloss tung oil/mineral spirits blend and it looks great. It brought out the grain and once it was dry went to a nice matte finish. I have only done the first coat and plan to knock it down with steel wool and put a second on tonight. I'll try to get pictures up as well. Thanks for the advice!
Joe Barnes

Joseph Barnes
08-31-2009, 1:46 PM
Also I wasn't worried too much about protection since the baby will always have a diaper on and be swaddled in a blanket. I can't imagine the lady putting a baby in a natural edge burl bowl with inclusions without one. It will be smooth with no catches but who wants to put a baby on a cold piece of wood.

Joseph Barnes
08-31-2009, 1:53 PM
This works for me.

Polish the wood, not the finish. I go quite a bit finer than I would if applying a surface finish. Up to 600 -800 grit depending on the wood.

Follow with a light oil.
I'd try walnut oil for the least discoloration.
It won't add or detract from the sheen of the wood too much but will pop the grain nicely.
Real tung oil will work too but it adds a bit of amber color and will be darker than walnut oil. Also will leave a slightly duller surface, but that might be desirable in this case?

You can increase the sheen by wet sanding the oil into the wood with 600 grit or finer wet or dry paper and then a light buff with a cloth.

Normally on a gallery piece I would do something like this but this is just a studio set piece so the commission is not nearly as much and the customer does not need or desire it to be perfect to the naked eye. It only has to look good from a distance, through a camera lense, and not be the focus of the picture. Thanks.