PDA

View Full Version : Handplane Essentials book

Richard Dooling
08-28-2009, 3:49 PM
Anybody had a look at Chris Schwarz's new book, Handplane Essentials?

Andy Hsieh
08-28-2009, 4:03 PM
I have not but I am going to order one from Lee Valley

I understand reviews by some people on other forums were not favorable for one specific reason - Most of the information is information that was already published on Chris's blog and/or in the magazines of popular woodworking and woodworking.

Personally, I think that is the best part. I have a ton of magazines I save just because of one or two articles and all relating to handtools. If I can get rid of all the fluff and just keep the meat - I am all for it.

Andy
(looking forward to ordering his copy :) )

Jim Koepke
08-28-2009, 4:28 PM
I understand reviews by some people on other forums were not favorable for one specific reason - Most of the information is information that was already published on Chris's blog and/or in the magazines of popular woodworking and woodworking.

They are likely the same people who would have complained loudly if he had left everything from his blog and/or magazine out of the new book and just referred people to read his blog or magazine.

jim

Eric Brown
08-28-2009, 7:34 PM
I have it and have read most of it. It has something for everyone. Newbies especially. It covers using the plane better than most other books I have.
Most similar to Garret Hacks. I would recommend it without hesitation.

Eric

paul cottingham
08-28-2009, 8:51 PM
I have it and have read most of it. It has something for everyone. Newbies especially. It covers using the plane better than most other books I have.
Most similar to Garret Hacks. I would recommend it without hesitation.

Eric

+1 What Eric said.

Brent Smith
08-28-2009, 9:49 PM
If you know nothing about planes, this is the book to buy. If you know everything about planes (good luck on that one!), this is the book to buy.

Yes, it's a rehash of old articles, blogs and reviews. The thing is having them all in one place makes referencing easy. Aside from the pure info in the book, there is a lot of behind the scenes material. I think CS is one of the better WWing writers out there today, and this book really shows that. I was a bit dissapointed in 'Handtool Essentials' when it came out, but this is far and away a more interesting and information packed book.

Gary Herrmann
08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm 6 chapters in. Informative and well written. I also don't like piles of magazines laying around.

Tom Godley
08-29-2009, 8:56 AM
I have a copy but did not get around to starting it.

He did reference somewhere before the book was published that the contents are a compilation of previous articles.

Figured it would be an easy way to keep it all together!

Niels Cosman
08-31-2009, 3:10 PM
Great Book!

Like all of Chris's writing it is entertaining and educational.
Cover's a lot of the same ground as Hack's book but I feel it is more geared to the practical aspects (tips and tricks) of planing.

Yes, there is a lot that has been previously published content, but not only is that great to have all that information consolidated in one place for reference, there is plenty of fresh meat to gobble up.

Highly Recommended!

-Niels

Jerome Hanby
08-31-2009, 3:48 PM
I guess its takes different strokes strokes for different folks. It sounds like some people think the fact that it contains information from online sources is a bad thing. I think having bits and pieces ahead of time (whether by accident or design) is great. Lets me know I'll be getting a useful resource and I don't have to drag a PC into the bathroom/library!