PDA

View Full Version : Which Starrett Combo sq; there's so many varieties!

Greg L. Brown
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm going to take the plunge and get a nice Starrett combo square. I've heard they have cast iron and forged steel varieties (the latter is more expensive). I went online to Starrett and downloaded their PDF of all their model numbers. It was pretty mind-numbing how many choices there were.

Does anyone have an opinion on which model to get (I'm thinking the 12" would be a good all-around one)? Does anyone know good online sources to buy from (good deals, but also authorized seller)?

Thanks,
Greg

Jeff Wright
08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I have the starrett 12, 6 and 4-inch models and find I rarely use the 12-inch and mostly use the 4-inch one. I suppose it depends on the kind of woodworking you do. I build cabinets and furniture mostly.

Brian Kent
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I recommend the 12" combination square with satin 4R scale. Forged steel if you can afford it.

Usually Craftsman Studio has them on sale, but I don't think they are today.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/B!11H.htm

"The Best Things" seems to have the best price today.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/starrett.htm

Brian

Doug Shepard
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I've got a 12" and 6" Starrett (plus a 6" BCTW) and only occasionally use the 12". I'm not sure what all configurations they have but all 3 of mine have 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64 graduations and I find all 4 edges used about equally. I think finish is another option and the satin finish is easier to read (no glare from reflected light).

Fred Hargis
08-28-2009, 1:49 PM
The cast heads don't look as nice, but seem to be every bit as accurate and a lot cheaper. I've got a 12" and a 6" (both cast) and use them about equally.

John Harden
08-28-2009, 1:52 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend another path unless you're 100% sold on a combo square. These were originally designed for construction and IMHO that's where they belong. Sure, they'll work for fine woodworking, but there are better tools that are at least as accurate and a whole lot less money than a Starrett.

I wear a small tool holder on my belt in the shop and it holds a mechanical and regular pencil, Incra 4" T rule, 4" engineers square, tape measure for rough work and a few other small items.

The little Incra is as accurate as anything you'll ever need for marking and measuring up to its length. They also come in 6" and 9" versions. I rarely need to go above 4" for most work.

I own a couple combo squares and frankly don't use them. For 90 degree work, I use engineers squares and for the rare occasion I need a 45 degree angle, I have one for that too.

If you're sold on a combo, I'd recommend the 4". I attended a chair making class recently and for the guys who liked combo's, they all used the 4". I didn't see anything larger in the shop or in use by the class (we all brought our own bench tools).

Just my .02 if you care to hear it. :)

Regards,

John

Thomas S Stockton
08-28-2009, 1:54 PM
I bought a Starrett square with a 12" 4r ruler, protractor head and extra 18" blade off ebay brand new for $80. The 18" ruler is useless for measuring since it is graduated way to fine for me, but is great for use in the protractor head. I have also bought some shorter rulers that were seconds that are just as useful for woodworking as a first run ruler. There are a couple of different sellers on ebay that seem to specialize in starrett so it might be worth a lokk.
Tom

paul cottingham
08-28-2009, 2:10 PM
I have a starrett 12" and little LV 6" and use them both tons, and I am glad I have both. that being said, I have an engineers square that i use almost as much.

Curt Harms
08-28-2009, 7:51 PM
6" combo square is pretty handy. It'll fit in an apron pocket and is long enough for most stuff I do. The movable blade can be handy if you need to draw a line parallel to an edge. Set the the blade so a pencil held against the end of the blade draws the appropriate offset line. Works well. I bought my 6" combo square at the blue borg I think. It's branded Swanson. It ain't starret or Mitutoyo but I've checked it against a drafting triangle and using the standard checks and I can't find any detectable error. I also don't get upset with myself if I drop it. Check it fairly frequently for accuracy and keep on truckin'.

Erik Frederiksen
08-28-2009, 8:11 PM
I find the 6" size is handy too. I'm in the remodeling business so I do a little of everything. I also have a cheaper brand, not sure which one, however it has no error that I can discern (except the level probably, but I use Stabilas when I want a level).

Since a cheaper square can be as accurate as I need, I prefer to spend the money a Starret square would cost on other tools I actually need.

I did buy one of their divider things for about $90 so I've been known to splurge.

Rich Engelhardt
08-28-2009, 8:28 PM
Hello,

I picked up a Starrett C11H-12-4R from Hartville Tools when they were having a 20% off bag sale.
$79.00 - 20% = ~$64.00

W/luck, I'll be around at least another 10 years.
Six bucks and 40 cents a year to use a top shelf tool is a no brainer.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Ok, I'll admitt it, I'm addicted to Starrett tools. I'm apparently trying to get one of each of everything that they made that has even the remotest chance of being useful in a woodshop. That being said, my favorites are a sliding t square, and a litle engineers square. The 12" stuff is great for some things, but a bit cumbersome for others, so ideally get both 12" and 6". Or better yet, try my approach, and get one of each!

Ebay is a good source for used (cheaper) Starrett stuff. If you go used, Brown and Sharp, and Mitatoyo are also great.

John Harden
08-29-2009, 1:17 AM
Set the the blade so a pencil held against the end of the blade draws the appropriate offset line. Works well.

Yes, it does work well if you're a carpenter. Don't mean to pic nits here, but that is not a very accurate way of marking a line a set distance form an edge, particularly if you use a standard pencil.

Assuming your rule and eye ball setting are both accurate (not a small leap of faith), you'll be on the outside of the 2" (or whatever) distance, PLUS the thickness of your pencil line.

This is where the clever design of the Incra T rule and similiar designs really shine. You use an ultra thin mechanical pencil inserted into the laser cut holes and you're splitting the dead center point on that same 2".

Your line is MUCH thinner and in the correct location relative to the edge.

Some of us tested this recently in a WW class and the differences were startling. Some of them were as much as .02 off including the two guys who wielded Starret combo squares.

Don't believe me? Try it for yourself and make sure to use that well worn pencil you have in your shop apron or tool belt.

Sure, .02 isn't much, but inaccuracies are a cumulative problem in a project. After only a couple of these, you begin to see problems in your work. Eliminating them where you can allows for confident and surprisingly fast work flows.

Regards,

John

Donald Hofmann
08-29-2009, 9:25 AM
Starrett squares were not designed for carpentry work but machine shop work. And a machinist is as precise as you can get. Maybe you just don't know how to use one.

Jeff Booth
08-29-2009, 11:06 AM
First off, I am a true square junkie, I have a 12" combo square, 2 4" double squares, a 6" double square, 3 machinst squares and a few of those Incra T-square things ...... in addition to woodworking I have a small mill, a lathe and at my job I end up using our large mill to make a lot of things because at a small company everyone needs to be flexible. I am no toolmaker, but I can make things within 0.001" most of the time.

I like the Incra pencil thingys ...... but it is no replacement for a nice double square and/or combo square. Using a knife on the edge of the double square is pretty darned accurate ...... much more accurate than the 0.5mm pencil mark of the Incra .... and there are an infinite number of positions as opposed to 64 laser cut pencil marks per inch .....

Yes I said double square, for me I use a 4" double square for most things, the head is smaller than a combo head but just as accurate, the smaller head means it has much better balance and I do not need to worry about which end is the squared up end. The other advantage of a double or combo square over an Incra square is that it can often be used to simply measure off an existing part to duplicate a new part, no need to even know what the measurement is, just slide the rule up to a stopping feature on the part to be duplicated and lock it in place and mark the next piece to cut. Finally, the double or combo square can be used to true up the table saw blade or whatever because it also makes a pretty good machinst square.

I will throw in another 2 cents ..... I tend to buy PEC brand (Products Engineering Corp) ... they sell them at Amazon, but actually that is a limited selection .... they make a lot of varieties and I prefer the metric rules .... but you can get several varieties of English or English/metric combo as well. I really like Starrett tools, but the PEC tools cost a lot less, I perceive them to be equally as nice (for my purposes) and they also are made in the USA .....

Jeff

Scot Ferraro
08-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I have a 12 inch and 6 inch and they work great. I use the 6 inch more than the 12. My favorite is the 4 inch double-square -- perfect for marking dovetails, machine set-up, fits in the pocket and is an all around good size for my work. I use it the most, followed by the inch inch combo.

Scot

Jacob Reverb
08-29-2009, 1:26 PM
I have the 12" with the forged steel head and like it a lot.

Another Starrett tool I have that I *really* like and use even more is the 6" Starrett C604RE rule (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002FULFM). It's the best $20 I've ever spent in woodworking.

Michael Peet
08-29-2009, 5:51 PM
I have a 6" and 12" (and 18" Lufkin). I use the 6" exclusively. It was my first Starrett purchased used at a local lumber store. I saw it and thought, "how handy, they make these in little sizes?"

The number of options for the rules seems a little overwhelming at first, but take a few minutes to read the descriptions and I'm sure you'll come to appreciate the flexibility.

I love Starrett stuff. It's refreshing to be able to obtain new high-quality tools, for those that still care to.

Luciano Burtini
08-29-2009, 6:42 PM
Ok, I'll admitt it, I'm addicted to Starrett tools. I'm apparently trying to get one of each of everything that they made that has even the remotest chance of being useful in a woodshop. That being said, my favorites are a sliding t square, and a litle engineers square. The 12" stuff is great for some things, but a bit cumbersome for others, so ideally get both 12" and 6". Or better yet, try my approach, and get one of each!

Ebay is a good source for used (cheaper) Starrett stuff. If you go used, Brown and Sharp, and Mitatoyo are also great.

Me too - and you're giving away all of the secrets! ;-)

Actually, eBay is great for Starrett, Mitutoyo, B&S, M&W, etc. There are a couple of sellers selling Starrett seconds that are a great deal and I have yet to find a problem with them. A couple of marks makes them seconds and even buying new, you will be marking them up in use. Another vote for satin finish if you have a choice. The finish completely eliminates glare and is much easier to read for old eyes.

These were/are all fine machine shop tools that are also great in a woodshop. I even use an older (slightly worn out) vernier caliper for thicknessing stock off the planer. Far more precise than a ruler and easier to use as well.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-30-2009, 9:37 PM
Me too - and you're giving away all of the secrets! ;-)

Actually, eBay is great for Starrett, Mitutoyo, B&S, M&W, etc. There are a couple of sellers selling Starrett seconds that are a great deal and I have yet to find a problem with them. A couple of marks makes them seconds and even buying new, you will be marking them up in use. Another vote for satin finish if you have a choice. The finish completely eliminates glare and is much easier to read for old eyes.

These were/are all fine machine shop tools that are also great in a woodshop. I even use an older (slightly worn out) vernier caliper for thicknessing stock off the planer. Far more precise than a ruler and easier to use as well.

OOPS! I suppose the prices just went up! My bad...;)

Greg L. Brown
08-31-2009, 1:49 PM
Great info all; thanks for the help.

Anthony Fields
08-31-2009, 2:25 PM
All I know is that I had a nice Craftsman square from a decade plus ago. Was made by Starrett (I think). Had a nice black ruler. (Find one today). Well I traded it back to Sears/Craftsman since I couldn't see the bubble yellow anymore. Got a replacement but the ruler is shiny now. Yuck!

Starrett's site is nice too. They were kind enough to send me a catalog as well. The equipment is some of the top notch. I use a 12in and have a 6in as well.

Like the above poster said. They are made for machinists, and you can't get more accurate than that in wood anyways.