PDA

View Full Version : Go HF!

Lewis Ehrhardt
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I bought one of the HF's cheap belt sanders, about $18.00. I sanded one room with oak flooring and it didn't miss a beat. Room is about 12' by 13'. Still going strong. That makes four of their tools that have lasted and done a fairly decent job, especiallly for the money. Belt sander, recipacating saw, 90-degree drill, and hammer drill. These tools are keeping up with my Bosh's, Rigids, Dewalts, Ryobi's, Craftsmans, and Deltas. Any of you all had good success? Decent tools for the money. I remember buying a B/D drill years ago, drilled one hole, and the motor burned up.

Dustin Lorenz
08-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I had a Milwaukee port-a-band, borrowed it to a friend who was building a race truck and needed to cut roll cage tubing. He ended up running it over and like the good friend he "was" :mad: replaced it for me with a HF one. I do have to say it has been working good for the last couple of years even though it was about 1/6 the price of the Milwaukee, however the first time I hit the trigger I thought you got to be kidding me. The thing is very loud and makes almost as much noise as an angle grinder!:eek: That is the only tool I own from there and except for the noise I can't complain heck the original blade lasted more than a year and I do use it quite a bit. It even has variable speed.

Bill White
08-28-2009, 5:19 PM
Dang Dustin. What a pal. Can I borrow one of your tools (not the HF)?
Bill

glenn bradley
08-28-2009, 5:42 PM
Dang Dustin. What a pal. Can I borrow one of your tools (not the HF)?
Bill

Me next, me next. What a way to upgrade.

Bruce Wrenn
08-28-2009, 9:46 PM
I bought one of their multifunction tools (read Fein almost clone.) Used it to do two jobs this week. More than got back my $29.99 in saved labor. Liked it so good, that yesterday, I bought a second. My son (in a similar business) also bought one this week. His guys had been looking at Dremel one at HD, which was $100. He stopped at HF and bought one for $39.99, as he didn't have a discount coupon. October 2009 issue of Wood has a coupon for the $29.99 price.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-28-2009, 9:50 PM
They sell a 40 buck fake fein? Will the fein stuff fit? Wow.....

With HF though it hit or miss. They have CHEAP stuff and the have cheap STUFF.

Stephen Edwards
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
HF has a OSS that looks EXACTLY like the Triton except for the color scheme.....same specs and all. You can get it on sale once in a while for 90 bucks vs $150 for the Triton. I've mine for over a year....works great.

John Coloccia
08-29-2009, 2:37 AM
Over the years I've bought a bunch of crappy Harbor Freight tools with the idea in mind that I'd only ever use it that one time, and I can just throw it out when I'm done with it. Air tools, hand tools, etc. Sometimes I buy them because I need to modify it for a specific task, and need something cheap and disposable.

I have to say that this thread got me thinking... I don't think I ever actually threw out a HF tool. Nothing glamorous about them...they just kinda' work, and sometimes that's good enough.

Stephen Edwards
08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE= I have to say that this thread got me thinking... I don't think I ever actually threw out a HF tool. Nothing glamorous about them...they just kinda' work, and sometimes that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

True, indeed. I think that this forum has helped a lot of us to know which of the HF tools are worth the money. I know that it's helped me to make informed decisions based on other people's experience with a given too.

There are lots of HF threads here on SMC. Some people don't want anything from HF while some of us have found "some" of their tools to be a good value for our needs. I'm in the latter camp.

scott spencer
08-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I've been very pleased with my 13" HF DP (38142), and the $100 mortiser has more than earned it's keep. The Pittsburg bar clamps are a bonafide deal on sale, and they go on sale about every other week. Not happy with their crappy hair clippers, and their drill bits have been marginal. Ya just need to pick and choose.

John Harden
08-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I've been very pleased with my 13" HF DP (38142), and the $100 mortiser has more than earned it's keep. The Pittsburg bar clamps are a bonafide deal on sale, and they go on sale about every other week. Not happy with their crappy hair clippers, and their drill bits have been marginal. Ya just need to pick and choose.

Definitely hit or miss. I remember when their bar clamps were pretty awful. I bought a few and tossed them in the trash a few years later. Had a chance to use the "new" version with the plastic handles recently and MUCH better. Ran out and bought about thirty of the 6"ers for a bent lamination project that is upcoming.

I hear you on the hair clippers. Bought them to cut my kids' hair. That only happened once.

Aside from mechanics tools, which I buy a ton of there, my favorite other bargain has been a heat gun. I think I paid $15 for it. I'd never used one and needed it to use on some shrink wrap tape. Home Depot's offerings were well over $100, which I couldn't see for something I may use 10-15 times. The HF one has been great and I've actually used it a lot more than that.

I don't think I'd buy their routers, drills (cheap batteries) or some other stuff, but quite a lot of what they have is pretty good for the price!!!!

Brad Wood
08-29-2009, 5:01 PM
I've got the biscuit joiner (is that the right term?) I haven't used it a whole lot, but that is why I bought a cheap one instead of one of the high end models. So far I have cut about 200 biscuit slots with it, and it has done just fine. Certainly have gotten my 20'ish dollars worth from it.

I've also got their heat gun and it gets hot, no doubt about that. Again, not something I use every day. Actually got it to use with that heat shrink wire wrapper stuff, which it is awesome for.

I've got a bunch of the pipe clamp setups for 3/4" black pipe, they have earned their worth as well.

I think HF certainly has its place and if I were making a living on certain tools and was using them every day, all day, I'd probably go higher end. I think for occasional use / hobby type stuff, it is perfect... pretty much have the same thoughts on Ryobi products.

Neal Daughtry
08-29-2009, 7:51 PM
I've got one of their 21 deg framing nail guns (approx $60 on sale) and have built a couple of decks, a shop and helped on a 3200 sq ft fellowship hall and it has held up very well, even better than some of my friends more expensive nailers. My rule at HF is don't buy anything that cuts.

Don Dorn
08-29-2009, 8:49 PM
I live a little less than a mile from one so I'm there quite a bit. Over the years, I found the following exceeded my expectations: Angle Grinder, Nailers (except pin), dust collector, Metal cabinet, digital safe, right angle drill, drawer slides, Pittsburg wrenchs, electrical items, two part epoxy (fantastic stuff), drill press table, laser thermal thermomiter, and I'm sure a few others that slip my mind.

The following are things I found barely acceptable: Sandpaper, forsterner bits, twist drill bits, router bits, paddle bits, mostly bits or accessory items for drills, dremmels, etc.

The following are things that I found as total crap: Saw blades, any hole saw they sell, masonry bits, any drill related gizmo, and batteries.

Dave Lehnert
08-29-2009, 9:23 PM
Some people refuse to be open minded enough to save some money and buy at HF. They have some great deals.

We have a HF reciprocating saw at work. It is junk compared to my Milwaukee at home BUT....... I wasted my money on the Milwaukee. For the two times I used it in the last 6 years the HF for $19 would have more than done the job.

John Crum
08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I have to agree with most of the comments. I needed a reciprocating saw a while back and HF had theirs on sale for $20. Have used it quite a bit and have gotten far more good than that from it. Still works great. Some times we only need a cheap item instead of a top of the line item.

Michael Schwartz
08-30-2009, 2:05 AM
I have had good luck with sockets from harbor freight as I do not use them for much automotive work, just random stuff and assembly. They don't need to hold up much and for the price you can't beat them. I have had a set of color coded deep impact sockets for a few years now that I think cost 10 bucks on sale. I never do anything that would round out a socket either so they are just fine.

Brad Wood
08-30-2009, 9:02 PM
The following are things I found barely acceptable: Sandpaper,...

+10 on that comment. I will never buy their sandpaper again

Stephen Edwards
08-30-2009, 9:45 PM
Ditto on the sandpaper with the exception of the sleeves for their OSS, which, as I mentioned in an earlier post, appears to be a clone of the Triton OSS.........or vice versa!

No complaints with either the sander or the sanding sleeves. The sleeves come in packages of 6 (one sleeve per size of "drum" or whatever you call it) and in 3 different grits.

John Coloccia
08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Stay away from their masking tape, also. I use a lot of masking tape for various things, and I threw out about a dozen or so rolls of assorted masking tape from HF. Absolute garbage. Sticks too much when it shouldn't, doesn't stick at all when it should, and good look getting it off the roll without tearing it (unless you like using ragged, 2" long pieces of tape for your job). BLECH.

Dan Friedrichs
08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Anyone had an experience with one of their air impact wrenches? I want one for rotating tires and such, but it probably won't be used more than twice a year, so naturally I thought "HF!". They seem to have about a dozen different ones - anyone have a favorite model, or find one to be a really great value?

Don Dorn
08-31-2009, 7:13 AM
I have a 3/8" air ratchet, and it's been fine over the years, but no experience with impact wrenches. For the most part, I think air tools are fine unless they would see heavy use all the time - yours wouldn't so I'd take the plunge.

Dustin Lorenz
08-31-2009, 7:33 AM
Anyone had an experience with one of their air impact wrenches? I want one for rotating tires and such, but it probably won't be used more than twice a year, so naturally I thought "HF!". They seem to have about a dozen different ones - anyone have a favorite model, or find one to be a really great value?
They will most likely work Dan, the one thing you should look at though is the cfm the tool requires to produce it's full torque rating. For one you will never see the full torque rating, and secondly (as with most air tools) the cheaper they are the more air they require. I like to also work on old cars and needed (ok wanted :rolleyes:) a handheld belt/finger grinder. They have about 1/2" wide belt on them, but work good for smoothing out welds and such. Well anyway I bought one for like $20 bucks through Northern and my compressor could not keep up. I saved some cash and bought a Dynabrade (pretty top of the line) for almost $400 but at least now I don't have to stop and wait for my compressor to catch up. I only have a small one can't remember specs now but it is a direct drive maybe 20 gallon horizontal. So if you have a good enough compressor go for it, or otherwise check your lug nut torque specs and buy an electric impact (120 volt). Remember most wheel studs are actually rated for less than what most impacts produce. I believe my 3/4 ton truck only requires 120 ftlbs, but don't quote me on that.

Ben Hatcher
08-31-2009, 10:43 AM

I bought one of their impact wrenches for $9 on sale a few years back for the same reason. It hoggs the CFM and the one I got won't torque a lug nut. I haven't used it since I got a set of HF socket adapters for my power drill. The drill works just as well if not better than the impact wrench and I don't have to lug around a hose.

Chris Barnett
08-31-2009, 9:51 PM
You're in luck. Buy a new B&D and it will do the same thing, but in half the time. Progress...what a deal!!!!

Matt Evans
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a few HF tools. They do work, but. . .

The belt sander is ok. It works, but I wouldn't say it is in the same league as the Porter-Cable or Bosch.

The clamps? I don't know. I still have a few, but I ended up making clamps that worked better. The cabinet shop I worked for had the tendency to buy everything they could at HF, including clamps, and I probably broke, stripped threads, snapped the handle off of, etc. four or five of these a week. Not for me.

The drill bits I stay away from. Unless I want a one use set of bits.

To be fair, the best small flashlight I have ever had was a 3.99 special from HF. Lasted for 4 or 5 years. Man was that thing bright. . .

They sell some decent tools, but you really have to be choosy. The good thing is that they do have a fairly decent return policy.

John Callahan
09-02-2009, 8:45 AM
Don't own any HF stuff but never say never. Luck of the draw I think ......... some buy and can't kill it; others get the same item and one use. Place I worked at had a HF (Central Machinery) grinder/ buffer which liked to disassemble itself- vibrated something awful. The air stapler wasn't much better ......... misfires and jams. The waxer/polisher worked ok but always had this burnt aroma after a few minutes of use. All in all it made me leery of HF. Despite that I've got some concrete work planned (hopefully) for next year and am seriously considering one of their vibrators- price talks. "Brand name" models are three and four times the price.

Marty Paulus
09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
They will most likely work Dan, the one thing you should look at though is the cfm the tool requires to produce it's full torque rating. For one you will never see the full torque rating, and secondly (as with most air tools) the cheaper they are the more air they require. I like to also work on old cars and needed (ok wanted :rolleyes:) a handheld belt/finger grinder. They have about 1/2" wide belt on them, but work good for smoothing out welds and such. Well anyway I bought one for like $20 bucks through Northern and my compressor could not keep up. I saved some cash and bought a Dynabrade (pretty top of the line) for almost $400 but at least now I don't have to stop and wait for my compressor to catch up. I only have a small one can't remember specs now but it is a direct drive maybe 20 gallon horizontal. So if you have a good enough compressor go for it, or otherwise check your lug nut torque specs and buy an electric impact (120 volt). Remember most wheel studs are actually rated for less than what most impacts produce. I believe my 3/4 ton truck only requires 120 ftlbs, but don't quote me on that.

I bought one of their impact wrenches for $9 on sale a few years back for the same reason. It hoggs the CFM and the one I got won't torque a lug nut. I haven't used it since I got a set of HF socket adapters for my power drill. The drill works just as well if not better than the impact wrench and I don't have to lug around a hose.

OK folks first things first. You should in no way, shape or form be using the guns to final torque your lug nuts! There is a torque spec on them for a reason. Run them on with the air gun but grab a torque wrench to set them! Too litle torque will allow the lug nuts to fall off and too much and you risk breaking the studs. Either failure is not good! Sorry but I am an engineer in the auto industry by day and have seen way to many things that can go wrong (one of the reasons I put my seat belt on before even starting the engine!)

Now I have one of the thunder impact guns. Red in color. It served me well when I rebuilt two motors a couple of years ago. Had no problems pulling out the head and main cap bolts (two of the higher torqued sets to bolts) Spun them out after hitting them for a few seconds to break them free. I have a few saw blades in the 10" size that I use on the table saw. For what I paid (something like $5 ea for the 60 tooth) they are throw away blades if anything happens to them. For the most part what I buy at HF seems to do the job at a reasonable cost. I agree you have to be cautious with what you buy there but since we are not made of money and I don't make my living with these tools they are good enough for what I am doing.

Rick Hall
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Figured I'd share a couple of positive HF experiences.

I've been a professional tile installer for 10+ years and have found a couple of items to be great for the money. I buy up 4" and 4.5" angle grinders whenever they are on sale for dry cutting tile and stone with diamond blades. I burned through a couple of expensive makitas early on because of all the dry dust getting inside the machine, and now I don't care when that happens. I have 4-6 of them new in box at any given time and just grab a new one. At less than $20 each I don't feel bad throwing one away. I get 6-12 months of heavy use out of each one.

I also have been very impressed with their 1/2" low speed drill. I bought one in a pinch about 7 years ago to replace a 1/2" heavy duty dewalt that I used to mix 5 gallon pails of mortar with a spade mixer. The dewalt was about $250, and the HF model less than $50 on sale. I had sheared the drive shaft off on the dewalt during mixing, and only figured to use the HF until I got out to buy a new high end model.

7 years later, more than a thousand buckets of mortar and grout, and heaps of abuse and the HF drill still plugs along. I never expected this kind of use out of a $50 drill, especially considering how hard I push it. One thing I did right after buying it was to pull the gear box open and pack it with high temp auto grease. I think that has helped with the life of the drill.

I also buy their diamond dry cut blades sometimes, which I've found to last nearly as long as any of the other cheaper diamond blades on the market. They all probably come out of the same couple of factories.

Anyways..figured I'd debunk the idea that there is nothing in HF for a tradesman. Just have to be careful and have realistic expectations.

Noah Katz
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Rick,

" I buy up 4" and 4.5" angle grinders"

Does that include both the orange Chicago and the blue Drillmaster, or just the former?

Steve Sawyer
09-02-2009, 1:05 PM
Hit or miss for me too.

I've heard their mortiser to be a good value.

I have their "2HP" dust collector, and it too is a keeper. Clamps are a mixed bag. The "F" style are not well cast, so things aren't square. Bought 'em and gave 'em away. Their wooden handscrew clamps can be good - seems like the ones that come from eastern Europe are nicer than the ones from China. Little square aluminum tube bar clamps are good for small panels.

Dial calipers (I have wasted money on two) weren't worth the hassle. I've had and used one of their $15 digital calipers for several years now - dead accurate.

I also have one of their twin-tank "2HP" oil-lubed compressors. Had to exchange the first one because it leaked oil. The second one has been fine.

Went through three 18 ga nailers/staplers before I threw in the towel and bought a recon Bostitch. The 23 ga pinner worked pretty well, but would jam occasionally. Definitely worth the $20 or so I paid for it. I'd probably still be using it but found a recon Porter-Cable for a price I couldn't refuse.

Somewhere - here or on the wiki for my local WW club is a page of HF products that folks have found to be a good value.

Rick Hall
09-02-2009, 1:44 PM
Rick,

" I buy up 4" and 4.5" angle grinders"

Does that include both the orange Chicago and the blue Drillmaster, or just the former?

I've only ever purchased the orange Chicago Electric ones. The other thing that's nice is, because they are so cheap, I can keep 4 or 5 going with different blades instead of switching. This is especially handy with edge polishing pads, where you have 4 or 5 pads of different grits much like sandpaper.