PDA

View Full Version : Building up muscles or how to remove Rub'n Buff

Andrea Weissenseel
08-28-2009, 8:37 AM
I'm just about to finish my first sign - used acrylic and layed out text with Rub'n Buff - on the tube it says when dry, gently buff with a soft cloth - lol - if I gently buff I'd probably be buffing 'til St. Neverendsday. I had to use some real pressure to get it off, got hot fingers and don't need to go to the Gym anymore :D

How are you removing it ? Anybody using buffing tools, or cutting masks ?

Andrea

Darryl Hazen
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Andrea,

Try wiping off the excess with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol. I've found it better to apply R&B, wait a minute or two and then buff. The longer it stays on the more difficult it is to buff off.

Lenin Alvarez
08-28-2009, 12:04 PM
"3 in 1" oil works like a charm in diluting/melting the rub n buff, after that i use 3 in 1 mixed with a little bit of alcohol to clean and never had a problem

Rodne Gold
08-28-2009, 1:10 PM
Turpentine is whats used in the paste , use it to remove excess

Dan Hintz
08-28-2009, 7:58 PM
whatever you try, Andrea, make sure you test it first... as you know, acrylic is rather touchy about what kind of chemicals you can use on it.

Frank Corker
08-28-2009, 8:02 PM
all of the above are good, best thing is not to put too much on in one go and start buffing before it has time to set hard.

Dee Gallo
08-28-2009, 8:02 PM
It says right on the tube to thin with paint thinner, so that's the solvent - whether that affects your substrate is another discussion. Dan's right, test first on a scrap!

cheers, dee

Rodne Gold
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Andrea , rub n buff is expensive and a bit too liquid , try your local hobby/crafters shop or the hardware store and get pots of gilders paste , its harder , sticks better and a huge amt cheaper and comes in many more colours , there are around 15 shades of gold alone. Best way to apply it is with a toothbrush.

Mike Null
08-31-2009, 7:42 AM
The solvent Rodney mentioned is the right one but instead of turpentine you can use paint thinner or mineral spirits.