PDA

View Full Version : Edge sander questions ??

richard poitras
08-27-2009, 8:12 PM
If you had to pick one of these sander which one would you pick and or way ? Are they worth getting? I am not sure if it maters but the belts aren’t that long. Any insight on edge sanders would be helpful, things to look for or things you need more than others,etc…
The reason I ask there is one of each of these machines in my area both are in like new condition and only a few years old and could pick either one up for about $300.00 to $400.00 ea

Grizzly Edge Sander Model G1140

Specifications:

1-1/2 H.P. TEFC motor
1725 R.P.M. direct drive
22" x 10-1/2" cast iron table
Belt speed: 1,800 F.P.M
60° - 0°- 60° table tilt
90° sanding belt tilt
35" table height
Belt size: 6" x 80"
Powder coated paint
Graphite coated platen
110V/220V
16/8 Amps
Mechanical ON/OFF switch
Shielded and lubricated bearings
Platen: 6-3/4" x 29-3/4"
End table: 4-1/4" x 8"
4" Dust Port
Shipping weight: 255 lbs.
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g1140.jpg

General® International 6 x 89" Edge Belt Sander Model 15-005 M1

Manufacturer: General International
Add to Comparison Clipboard (http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--catId_1001981__locale_en__cbaId_101__productId_710 3895.html)
· medium commercial, ideal for hobby work. this all-round sanding station will perform very well on wood, metal, plastics, etc. the tilting ability and the end table for curves adds to the versatility of this machine
· New quick touch ON/OFF switch mount ensures easy access at any sanding head angle
· Precision steel platen is polished and graphite coated
· Complete head tilts to a horizontal position for finishing long work pieces
· Can be locked in any position for custom mill work
· Cast-iron miter gauge is lockable in the T-slot allowing angled stop
· Quick release belt tension for easy changeover
· 1 1/2 HP large cast-iron totally enclosed motor for continuous duty
· Included end table made of steel, not wood
· Safety switch on the motor for easy access
· Anti-vibration pads included under stand
· see more specifications.
http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/ss/media/36299000/36299180.jpg

Matt Meiser
08-27-2009, 9:56 PM
I just bought a G0512 because I couldn't find a used one anywhere close. I chose the G0512 over the G1140 because I liked the bigger table.

That said, if you had your choice of either for that close in price, I'd get the General. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my Grizzly, but the 89" belts are easier to get (the 80's are readily available--just not locally.)

Steve Rowe
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I had the Grizzly G1140 for about 7 years until I sold it on ebay. I purchased in the mid-late 1990s for about $495 new. I will say that the quality wasn't quite up to snuff but understand that Grizzly has improved their quality as of late. I found the edge sander very useful particularly for door edges. Overall, I would say I got what I paid for and can't complain too much. I would be hesitant to pay $400 used for this thing and $300 would be more appropriate. Things to watch for are:
1) The little support table on the end with the idler roller is useless. It is too small and the cheap thumbscrew vibrates loose and doesn't hold the table up anyway. I just took it off and attached a larger shop made table to the cast iron main table.
2) The main table is too small and also had a tendency to shift when locked down.
3) Fit and finish was somewhat lacking on my machine particularly on the dust collection hood.
4) Consider holding out for an oscillating sander. If you do a lot of edge sanding it is worth it.
Hope this helps.
Steve

richard poitras
08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
What about speed or RPM’s / the Grizzly is 1725 and the General is 3000 Rpm’s, wouldn’t it be best to have a lower speed unit?
Richard

glenn bradley
08-27-2009, 10:31 PM
What about speed or RPM’s / the Grizzly is 1725 and the General is 3000 Rpm’s, wouldn’t it be best to have a lower speed unit?
Richard

I've always wanted ALL of my belt sanders to go slower. The General is 3900 FPM vs. 1800 for the Griz. The General is obviously targeting a "get the job done NOW" environment. I need a little more finesse (or maybe its just skill on my part that is lacking).

Matt Meiser
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
When I was looking, it looked like virtually all edge sanders besides Grizzly and Shop Fox, including a number of high end units are 3xxx FPM. Only one or two people replied they though slower was better. And no one with the Grizzly replied they wished it was faster. So I basically discarded speed in my own decision. I tried to buy a Powerrmatic which was faster at an incredible price and when that turned out to be unavailable I bought the Grizzly.

Steve, funny you should mention the dust hood--that's one of the pieces which I was really impressed with the construction of on my sander. Its heavy duty with great fit and finish. Same with the stand. Both were parts I kind of expected to be thin sheet metal. This is my first Grizzly machine and I'm impressed.

Karl Brogger
08-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I've always wanted ALL of my belt sanders to go slower. The General is 3900 FPM vs. 1800 for the Griz. The General is obviously targeting a "get the job done NOW" environment. I need a little more finesse (or maybe its just skill on my part that is lacking).

Patience Daniel-san, is what you need.

Personally I wouldn't buy either one. I picked up a Ritter R-701 4x132" edge sander a few years ago for $1100. The shorter platen models are such a pain for edge sanding doors. A longer belt also lasts much longer. If you can wait it out, try and find a better model.

J.R. Rutter
08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Lobo, KUFO, and others used to make a nice mid-sized oscillating edge sander. I once worked in a shop that had one of those and the Grizzly side-by-side. Big difference. I would agree with Karl - do some more research and be ready when the right one comes along. The Grizzly models upstream from that one are nicer as well.

Jim Hill
08-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Several years ago I was in Springfield, Mo and tried to buy the Grizzly with the larger wrap around table (may be discontinued now), but they were out of stock. I didn't want to have to deal with shipping and any issues which could arise from that. I found the General International model you're looking at, and bought the new floor model for a discount. I've been very pleased and use the machine more than I ever thought I would. Can't compare to any of the larger machines mentioned, since I've never used one. I have been very happy with the GI. If I can answer any specific questions for you, please send me a pm.

Jim

Leigh Betsch
08-28-2009, 8:26 AM
I have the Grizzly. I got it with a bunch of other repo items, which I sold. After I sold off all the other items the sander ended up costing me a bout $200. I kept the edge sander and I'm glad I did. I use it a lot. I'm not impressed with the fit and finish, the table adjustments are pretty crude but it does work fine and overall I am happy with it. I doubt a better built sander would result in a a better sanded board. I don't think I'll wear it out. An oscillating edge sander would be an improvement but will also cost a lot more. Overall I think the Girzzly is a good sander but unless the newer machines are different you've got to ignor some of the fit and finish issues.

richard poitras
08-28-2009, 1:43 PM
Thanks for the replys, not sure what I am doing. a lot to think abouit..

Richard

Steve Rowe
08-28-2009, 1:53 PM
Patience Daniel-san, is what you need.

Personally I wouldn't buy either one. I picked up a Ritter R-701 4x132" edge sander a few years ago for $1100. The shorter platen models are such a pain for edge sanding doors. A longer belt also lasts much longer. If you can wait it out, try and find a better model.

Oh Karl, you didn't hold out for that Kundig??? It's only about $22K.:D:D:D

Karl Brogger
08-28-2009, 3:06 PM
Oh Karl, you didn't hold out for that Kundig??? It's only about $22K.:D:D:D

Never heard of it to be honest with you. I had to google it to find it.

The model I really wanted was a 8x132 oscillating belt. Whirlwind went belly up though, and all I could afford at the time was the Ritter. It works for now. I'm not sure what I'd be replacing it with now.

Walt Caza
08-28-2009, 3:25 PM
Hi Richard,
I bought the General oscillating edgesander.
The two way action cuts agressively with a fresh belt.
Mine has 3 dust pick-ups and a bonus spindle sander rides on top
of the idler. It's 1.5hp and the gears run in an oil bath.
With the ends flipped open, I sand longer parts than my platen without problem.

I find it an absolute handy joy in my shop, and would not want
to build anything without it.
Most everything I touch has edges, and many of those want sanding.
I just found a link:
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/sander/15-105.html

Good luck with your shopping,
be well,
Walt

ps I might be able to scare up a photo or two if it helps you