PDA

View Full Version : Disk, belt/disk, or oscillating spindle sander?

Dan Mitchell
08-27-2009, 6:27 PM
I'm thinking of getting a stationary sander, and I'm wondering which variety is the most versatile/biggest bang for the $$$$, a single disk, a disk/belt combo, or an oscillating spindle sander. If anyone has any specific make/model recommendations, that would be great as well.

TIA

Dan

Josiah Bartlett
08-27-2009, 7:15 PM
What are you going to be using it for? Disc/belt is useful for straight things. OSS is useful for curvy things.

I have a disc/belt but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I think I will grab an OSS soon. I build a lot of curvy things. The d/b is useful for sharpening lawn mower blades quickly, though.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-27-2009, 7:18 PM
No replies? Wow.... So many people love their Rigid belt/spindle sander....

I have a Delta 9" disk 6X48 belt (I think) desktop model. Forget the number. Good benchtop, although they had a LOT of issues with motor problems. Mine hasn't smoked YET, but some do within hours of starting. What are you going to do? A big disk sander is good for a lot of things, a disk/belt is a little more versatile, although most times you only find a 9" disk. The Rigid seems like a perfect compromise between the 3 sanders. I'd trade me disk/belt for one I think. But they pretty cheap to buy, I just don't have room. I use my drill press for spindle sanding.

Prashun Patel
08-27-2009, 7:29 PM
I like my Ridgid OSS. Hard to beat it's bang for the buck.

Pat O'malley
08-27-2009, 8:26 PM
+1 for the Ridgid. I've only had mine for about a month but am very happy so far. Pat

glenn bradley
08-27-2009, 9:37 PM
I have only used my belt disc once since I got my Ridgid OS/Belt Sander. I have even thought about unmounting it from the stand and storing it in a cabinet to use the stand for more frequently used tools. This would not be true if it were a spindle sander only; I need that belt surface too often.

Myk Rian
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I had a disk/belt but gave it to my son when I got the Ridgid drum/belt.

Ben Martin
08-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I love my 1960's 12" Delta disc sander, best $140 I have ever spent. By far the most used tool in the shop, although I use it for a lot of around the house work too...

Zach England
08-28-2009, 8:54 AM
The Ridgid belt/spindle sander is probably the biggest bang for the buck ($199 regular price at home depot). I would start there and then, if you feel the need for a disc sander, keep an eye on craigslist. I see older disc sanders on craigslist being sold for next to nothing.

Dustin Lorenz
08-28-2009, 9:30 AM
Not trying to steal the thread here guys, but for those of you who own the rigid does it oscillate while the belt is setup or only with the drum setup? I just went to the rigid site and it wasn't very clear and I don't have a local HD to go check it out. I too am looking at getting a stationary sander and it looks like the rigid will be the one for me either way. Also does it have a miter slot for using the belt setup?

glenn bradley
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Not trying to steal the thread here guys, but for those of you who own the rigid does it oscillate while the belt is setup or only with the drum setup?

Both oscillate. If you could halt the oscillation with a switch or lever, the value of the machine would rise in my opinion. I'd still never give it up.

Rod Sheridan
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I had a General model 100 with a 16" disk and a 6" wide belt.

It was a great sander unless you had to move it:D.

I don't have a sander at present, however I'm considering purchasing a larger belt sander such as something in the 90 inch long belt range.

I infrequently use a sanding drum in the drill press, which has led me to think that when I purchase a saw/shaper combo I'll purchase the spindle sander sleeves for the shaper.

Regards, Rod.

Richard Link
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I used to have the Rigid OSS/belt sander and would echo everyone's positive comments. I found that I used the OSS more than the oscillating belt but obviously that will depend on the type of work that you do. The only three downsides to it as compared to a floor model sander are: smaller maximum drum diameter, smaller table and a 2" dust port. The belt is also obviously shorter than most floor model oscillating belt sanders. Its a great tool though and excellent bang for the buck.

Jerome Hanby
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I've got belt and disk sanders (on my Shopsmith) and I'm constantly switching back to Drill press mode so I can spindle sand. An OSS is top of my list for next power tool.

Jerome Hanby
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Pardon the hijack, but on the Ridgid OSS, how tall of material wil the spindle sand? I considered buying the extra long Drill Press drum sander from Shopsmith because it would handle 6 inch material. I keep looking at other models that the Ridgid (like the Grizzly G1071 (http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G1071-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B0000DD0CZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1251478383&sr=8-3)) because the spindles appear to be longer.

Dave Loebach
08-28-2009, 1:01 PM
I had a Powermatic 12 inch disk/ 6x48 belt sander. It was ok and I used it regularly. I now have a Sunhill 6x108 oscillating belt sander and love it. I occasionally use it to sand a surface smooth, but most of the time I use it to shape wood, either curved pieces sanding down to the line or straight pieces where I want lots of control on removal of a small amount. I've also used it in place of a jointer, especially on small pieces. It has been a terrific addtion to my shop. I also used to have a Ryobic oscillating spindle sander. that was a great tool. So great that I "upgraded" to the benchtop Powermatic (now jet) benchtop version. Sometimes I regret making that chnage. THe Ryobi is a super tool, particulary for the price.They usually sell for $100 or less for a used one and for that price I consider it one of the best deals for your shop. BTW didn't someone have the 6x108 Powermatic oscillating belt sanders on sale?

Dan Mitchell
08-28-2009, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to take a look at the Ridgid.

Dan

george wilson
08-28-2009, 3:56 PM
I have a 24" horizontal disc sander that I don't have room for. I need to get rid of it. It is a nice solid machine,shop made at Va. Metalcrafters (has a shop tag.)

Also have a Ryobi osc. vertical drum sander I wouldn't buy again. I know it's going to break its tiny belt. Ryobi tools have NO GUTS! Another one we had at work did. Also have a Grizzly 6" side stroke belt sander. I could be wrong,but I THINK the millwork shop has a Jet,that you have to take something off of before you can change the belt. not so on the Grizzly. Just flip the lever and change belts.

I like my cheap little Reliant 12" disc,6" X 48" belt sander. It works fine,and I can move it about fairly easy because it's light. It works well with vacuum hoses to keep dust down.

We had a Delta sanding center at work. I never liked it. First,you couldn't ever get a vacuum hose to work worth a darn on it,and they were 4" hoses connected to a 20 H.P. collector!! Always messy. Also,it had that annoying extra groove coming straight out from the disc in its table,for sanding circles. Just got in my way.

Bill White
08-28-2009, 5:10 PM
Love my Ridgid.
Bill

Jeff Miller
08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I had a Ridgid but then I found one of these for $225.00

I think it's more versatile......just my 2 cents

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/GRIZZLY/Harley051.jpg

JEFF:D

george wilson
08-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Those Grizzlys certainly look substantial. I wonder what the inner workings look like? If you look through an access door,let us know how beefy the parts are,and if they are pot metal or steel. Very interested in knowing.