PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Slab Table Finished!

drew hutchinson
08-27-2009, 6:07 PM
This is the first project of this magnitude I have taken on. I have much more respect for all you professionals now. There are a lot of firsts in this including the butterflies.

Here it is, Walnut Slab table with blackened Maple legs and Steel, Walnut Spreader. The top needs some sort of buffing out but I may just do it with the brown paper bag as I am pretty happy with the finish right now.

I have asked you all a lot of questions about this and frankly, this would not have turned out as well without your advice and help.

drew hutchinson
08-27-2009, 6:10 PM
I couldn't resist including one or two more photos . . .

gary Zimmel
08-27-2009, 6:17 PM
Now that is one sweet looking top Drew.

Great job on the whole table.

Matt Evans
08-27-2009, 6:19 PM
Very nice!

So which is shinier, the chrome on the motorcycle or the table?

Ted Calver
08-27-2009, 6:47 PM
Drew,
You did yourself proud with this one!! It really looks snazzy.

John Keeton
08-27-2009, 7:27 PM
Dang! I reached out to touch the finish that was crying out to be touched.... and drove my hand thru my monitor screen:eek:

That is one beautiful table! Wonderful job on the finish.

Jason Strauss
08-27-2009, 8:00 PM
VERY nice! The live edge makes the piece! Your understated legs really make to top pop!

John Shuk
08-27-2009, 8:13 PM
It would be a much nicer table if it were in my house I think.
Very nice design and execution.

Todd Young
08-27-2009, 8:33 PM
Drew, great work. Like Jason said, the live edge looks great. Must have been a challenge, but turned out great.

T

Jon Grider
08-27-2009, 8:35 PM
Sweet! Nice job, great finish.

drew hutchinson
08-27-2009, 8:36 PM
You guys are awesome, if you keep it my head won't fit through the door!

travis howe
08-27-2009, 9:12 PM
WOW!!! that's awesome!

I have my first walnut slab, mind I ask how you did the top/finish?

drew hutchinson
08-28-2009, 1:19 AM
Not sure if you mean the prep work or just the finish so I will say something about both.

I posted 2 threads on the project finish forum that you should check out for finishing. There is a fair amount of finishing advice from the experts there. There are 8 coats of Behlen's Rockhard (highly recommended, I have also tried Arm R Seal but like Behlens better) on the top. I did not fill the grain because I didn't want the natural texture to be changed. The grain is pretty deep in the Walnut so it took more coats to fill it.

Regarding the prep work, this slab was cupped and had been cut by a chain saw so it needed a lot of planing. If you have access to a large planer, I would highly recommend taking it and having the top planed. I did mine with a power planer and sanding block and it took me about a weeks worth of work. I won't do it that way again. Cleaning up the edges was also time consuming. Some of the bark just came off and some of it took a few hours of picking at with scrapers etc. I found the edge to be pretty hard so I tended to be pretty aggressive with it. I didn't sand the edge much, mainly used steel wool and light sanding so it didn't lose the texture.

alex grams
08-28-2009, 7:45 AM
Very impressive. A slab project is very high on my list of things to do in my woodworking career.

Mind if I ask where you got it and what you paid? I am also curious how the heck they shipped that thing.

Rob Cunningham
08-28-2009, 8:03 AM
Beautiful table Drew. The finish is outstanding. A slab table is on my "to do" list for someday.

Prashun Patel
08-28-2009, 8:15 AM
Really wonderful execution. Congrats; you should be proud.

Keith Starosta
08-28-2009, 9:13 AM
Drew, that is really beautiful!!!

I have a question about securing the top to the base. Did you simply just screw the steel plate to the top from the underside? Also, are you worried about it being top heavy?

Thanks!

Keith

Igor Petrenko
08-28-2009, 9:54 AM
Awesomeness! I like how subtile and simple base is not drawing attention away from the top.

John Thompson
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
That top will simply grab you and not let go, Drew. That is one beautiful slab you got hold of. Excellent job and concept...

drew hutchinson
08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Alex,

I send you a PM a while back with the info about where I got the slab, costs and etc. Check your private messages and if you didn't receive it, let me know, I will try again.

drew.

alex grams
08-28-2009, 2:19 PM
ahh, thanks drew. I just didn't connect that PM with you. I am as bad with names on forums as I am with names in real life apparently...

drew hutchinson
08-28-2009, 7:54 PM
Yes the top is secured with screws - I made the screw holes bigger than the screws in order to accomodate movement of the wood. Although in CA the temp and humidity don't change that much so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The base is pretty heavy, 2x6 rock maple and 1/4 in. Steel plates. It weighs almost as much as the top. Total weight of the table is probably 150 lbs or more. I measured a lot of different bases and found most to be about 24 " wide to support a 36" table. It feels pretty sturdy but I wouldn't want anyone to sit on the edge of it.

Jerry Balzell
08-29-2009, 6:17 AM
Great job! The natural edge is a nice touch.
:)