PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJ6CSX Jointer-your opinion

Pat O'malley
08-27-2009, 3:20 PM
I found a 1997 closed base jointer (blue color model) for $300. used very little. So is it a good jointer and worth $300.??? Thanks Pat

Dave Sweeney
08-27-2009, 4:46 PM
Before you're bombarded with people telling you to get an 8" let me say that I have a newer version of that jointer and have been totally satisfied with it. It does exactly what its supposed to do and does it very well. In the last year or so it has gone up pretty drastically in price so maybe $300 is a good price, I paid $450 for a new one two years ago, but I doubt it cost much more than $300 new back in 97.

Lance Norris
08-27-2009, 5:25 PM
Its a fine jointer. I paid $295 for mine. It was used and I am very happy with the deal I got. You might find one cheaper but you wont find a better jointer IMHO.

Philip Rodriquez
08-27-2009, 5:32 PM
Personally, I think te price is high. I watch craigslist all the time. In the Denver area, I would expect to pay 200.00, tops. Often, the small jointers are either unused or too small for the owners.

Paul Ryan
08-27-2009, 6:28 PM
Pat,

That's a so so price on a nice 6" jointer. I have the same jointer just painted jet off white. I have had it for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I bought mine new for $400 so I would try to get that one for a lower price. The jointer new does go for over $600 now, but I bet that jointer wasn't much over $300 when that guy bought it. But even for $300 if it is in nice condition it will be a fine addition to your shop.

Peter Aeschliman
08-27-2009, 7:59 PM
In the Seattle area, $300 seems to be the going price for this size jointer. Watch CL in your area to get a sense for normal prices.

I have this exact jointer (it's blue also). It's fine. Just like any dovetail way jointer, if it gets out of alignment, you'll just about want to kill yourself trying to get it sorted out.

But it does its job for the scale of projects I usually tackle.

Myk Rian
08-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I found a 1997 closed base jointer (blue color model) for $300. used very little. So is it a good jointer and worth $300.??? Thanks Pat
I have the same one and paid $300 for it last year in very good condition.
Nice machine and worth the cost over the new models.

Scott Schwake
08-28-2009, 3:11 PM
I have the same one, my first jointer and I love it. Previous owner had it tuned perfectly, and I could tell it was well taken care of. Was asking $325, he took $300 for it, came with a mobile base and a knive setting jig, well worth it IMHO.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113364

Clay Crocker
08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
$300 seems a little high for that machine. They sold for around $500 new. 50% of the new price, or less for a used machine in good condition is a good rule of thumb IMHO. Anyway, at $300 you are only $184 away from having a new, 6" Grizzly jointer, delivered. (I am in no way suggesting that you should buy the Grizzly, just using it as an example). Also, with all the people jumping up to 8" jointers in the last couple years there has been a good supply of used 6" jointers but not much demand for them. Market forces are your friend. ;) B.T.W. I had that model jointer for ten years and got a lot of good use out of it.

Clay

Rich Aldrich
08-29-2009, 12:03 AM

I have one ( bought in Dec 2000) and do not like it. The first thing that happen before I used it, was the lock for the fence broke. I am a small person and it is a joke that I was able to break it. They were on back order for 4 months, so I redesigned the two pieces (I am a mechanical engineer) and had our machinist make the parts. I offered Jet the redesign but of course the didnt want it.

Jet made no effort to help me solve the vibration problem. The best I have done to reduce the chattering was to change to a link belt. The next best I can do is mess with blades and bearings. If the problem is not solved, I will sell it and buy a better one, or at least from a company who cares. But of course, no one will buy it from me who reads this post.

This is why I struggle to buy a Jet lathe - the lathe is the next piece of equipment that I need.