PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Brass with a Star 912

AL Ursich
08-27-2009, 3:19 PM
I have an opportunity to engrave some .020 and .040 brass tags with numbers. I believe this is the chance to use the Star 912 that has seen little use.

What is the best cutter to use for this? I have a noise cone for it, but thought that night get destroyed.... Still learning about the use of the 912....

I ordered some Brass Oxidizer and might try some color fill...

I saw some samples that looked like the numbers were made with a hammer and a number die? 1/2 inch and 3/8 numbers... Never saw a die set in other than 1/4 inch?

They will be the 1.5 round tags.

Suggestions and In-site?

Thanks,

AL

Scott Shepherd
08-27-2009, 3:26 PM
Al, look up Brian Rogalny on this forum. He just bought a specialized machine to do that exact type of tag. He can probably crank them out quite easy. It stamps them, you are correct.

AL Ursich
08-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Thanks,

I also fired off a email to Tony Lenkic who offered me help in 2007 when I got the 912.

I will look up Brian too...

Great Tip,

AL

Tony Lenkic
08-27-2009, 7:39 PM
Al,

I returned your email.
If you have chance call me and I will instruct you to best of my knowledge.
My machine is 1625 but set-up procedure is just about same.

Scott Shepherd
08-27-2009, 7:50 PM
If they are stamped, you might want to stick with that. The machine that does it bumps up the number every time you pull the handle, I think. So it's very fast and made to do that type of tag. It'll be much faster than engraving them and typing all that in and sending each tag over, I would think.

I could be wrong.....

AL Ursich
08-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Tony Called and sent email.... This is a GREAT Place....

Did not have any luck searching out Brian in the member list?

Got 6 different people replying over at Engraving Etc too.... 13 replies already.

Great Resource, on line Forums....

This Tag thing could developer into something.... Would like to find out more about the stamping machine. Can never have enough toys....

Or sub it out to Brian....:rolleyes:

Thanks Everyone,

AL

Tony Lenkic
08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Al,

There are two ways you can mark valve tags with equipment you already have.
With rotary engraver you can rout out text and paint fill if the depth is required. With this process you can use tags with or without clear coat.
Second option is diamond burnishing and oxidizing but you have to have tags clear coated or you will have to spend lots of time on cleaning them up.

With laser and CerMark you can mark same tags but without clear coat on them. I have done this same process on brass and stainless tags and with laser you do not need holding clamps. I made two fixture of plywood that each holds 25 tags by lasering them on with hole as a registration mark.
While first set of tags are in laser I load next one with blanks and make a job setup ready to send to laser. BTW, I do coat tags with CerMark in advance in order to speed up the job.

Scott Shepherd
08-28-2009, 3:45 PM
Brian is here :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=28825

Brian J Rogalny

The J throws it off in the member list.